Choose style:

Author Topic: My first week in Peppermint 7 - Some design changes  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
My first week in Peppermint 7 - Some design changes
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:23:03 am »
Hello everybody,

I installed Peppermint 7 after having used Ubuntu and Debian for about ten years, and so far I am very happy with the system. Here are some little design changes I made after the install:

1. Another background for the Plymouth startup screen. The image is located in /usr/share/plymouth/themes/peppermint-7

2. The Humanity icon-theme. I copied it from my laptop to /usr/share/icons and selected it in "Customize Look and Feel".
3. An active trash can. I added it to the panel after installing an xfce4 package for additional panel-elements.
The best way of getting an active trashcan in the panel seems to be using trashindicator: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,4025.msg42480.html#msg42480 (Thanks to PCNetSpec!)

What I like the most is, that the system is very lightweight and easy webapp-integration with ice.

Kind regards,
Fritz74
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:11:18 pm by Fritz74 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: My first week in Peppermint 7 - Some design changes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:14:21 am »
Great stuff Fritz74, glad to hear you're enjoying Peppermint so much .. welcome to striped candyland :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:36:26 am »
Hello everybody,

I installed Peppermint 7 after having used Ubuntu and Debian for about ten years, and so far I am very happy with the system. Here are some little design changes I made after the install:

1. Another background for the Plymouth startup screen. The image is located in /usr/share/plymouth/themes/peppermint-7

2. The Humanity icon-theme. I copied it from my laptop to /usr/share/icons and selected it in "Customize Look and Feel".
3. An active trash can. I added it to the panel after installing an xfce4 package for additional panel-elements.

What I like the most is, that the system is very lightweight and easy webapp-integration with ice.

Kind regards,
Fritz74

Could you tell me the name of the package that contains the active trash can? I can't find it in the repo and I miss my trash can.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:02:38 am »
If you want a "Trash" icon on the desktop, go to:-

menu > System Tools > dconf-Editor

in the left-hand pane, navigate to:-

org > nemo > desktop

in the right-hand pane, put a tick in "trash-icon-visible"
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:16:41 am »
If you want a "Trash" icon on the desktop, go to:-

menu > System Tools > dconf-Editor

in the left-hand pane, navigate to:-

org > nemo > desktop

in the right-hand pane, put a tick in "trash-icon-visible"

No I don't want an icon on the desktop, I want it on my panel.  I've always had it on my panel (in Linux) and having it there reminds me to empty it. I know you think it should be in the file manager but on my computer it should be in the panel.  ;)

Offline DOSfan

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 01:32:53 pm »
Without getting into this "holy war" (:-P) of where the trashcan should go...

LNXlady, you should check out "xfce4-places-plugin" in your Software Manager.  I don't know if it will work for you, but it was the only xfce4 package I found that mentioned trash and panel.

If you would like, I can try installing it first and report back.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 01:42:00 pm »
Without getting into this "holy war" (:-P) of where the trashcan should go...

LNXlady, you should check out "xfce4-places-plugin" in your Software Manager.  I don't know if it will work for you, but it was the only xfce4 package I found that mentioned trash and panel.

If you would like, I can try installing it first and report back.

That's the only one I saw, too. It sounded like it did more than I wanted but I guess I could give it a try. Was just hoping the OP had found something else. Thanks very much for the offer, but I'll give it a test myself.

ETA: On closer look, this also installs Thunar so I will skip it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:44:54 pm by LNXlady »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 01:52:10 pm »
All it would add is a menu with folder links, similar to what Gnome 2 used to have.  Likely, it will only open the folders in Thunar, that's why it wants to install it.  It wouldn't put the icon on your panel that you're looking for.

Honestly, I'm a bit shocked the plugin you're looking for isn't available in the repositories.  Granted, not too shocked as we're talking about Canonical here, but Ubuntu does have an official XFCE spin.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 02:02:57 pm »
All it would add is a menu with folder links, similar to what Gnome 2 used to have.  Likely, it will only open the folders in Thunar, that's why it wants to install it.  It wouldn't put the icon on your panel that you're looking for.

Honestly, I'm a bit shocked the plugin you're looking for isn't available in the repositories.  Granted, not too shocked as we're talking about Canonical here, but Ubuntu does have an official XFCE spin.

I figured it would only work in Thunar. I don't like Thunar. At all. I haven't used XFCE much but but in all the years I've run Linux I don't think I've ever had trouble putting a trash icon on my panel. It's not a weird or rare thing. I'm very surprised that it isn't available in Peppermint.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 03:05:56 pm »
You could always add a launcher with the following settings:-

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 03:16:37 pm »
Heh, I just got done typing out instructions on how to do just that.  It will give you a link to you Trash folder on the panel.

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 05:51:00 pm »
You could always add a launcher with the following settings:-

I guess that works but I won't be able to right-click to empty so I will have to actually SEE all the trash I've let accumulate before I empty it, LOL. Yes, I'm spoiled. Thanks PCNetSpec & scifidude79. 

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 06:42:19 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking of the right-click to empty issue.  Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get that without the plugin, which I couldn't find when I searched both the repositories and the web earlier.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 07:01:04 pm »
[FIXED TO REMOVE UNECCESARY STEPS]

Okay, got it

Download this .deb file:
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/trashindicator/trashindicator_1.00-1_all.deb
and double-click it to install

Once installed, log off/on (or reboot)

WARNING - Be careful, if you click "Empty Trash" on the applet it does NOT ask if you're sure, IT JUST DOES IT without any feedback.

Some other "application-indicator" applets that **might** also work but I haven't tested
http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/05/list-of-22-application-indicators-for.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:11:16 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline LNXlady

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »
When I tried to install it, it said same version already installed so I checked to see if I could add it but it wasn't in the "Add new Items" list. I logged out and back in to see if it would get added to the list and it STILL isn't in the list but it IS in the panel. I know I haven't added it before and the file was dated June 2016 which is before I even installed Peppermint.  Confusing, but it seems to work. Thanks! Now, if you guys could just come up with a little panel button that I could right-click to do the dishes, I'd be set. ;D