Choose style:

Author Topic: Steam download issue?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Kyle

• Microshaft cannot compete...
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 (x64)
Steam download issue?
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:59:35 am »
I have downloaded Steam and when I am downloading a game I notice my speed is either very slow or peaks to a regular number than stops/starts. Sometimes the game downloads at normal speed with little hassle. Just curious, anyone else having this issue?
[] Dell Latitude E6400 []
[] CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 [] RAM: 4GB DDR2 [] HDD: 1TB 5400RPM WD Black []

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Steam download issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:03:50 am »
Sounds like it's either a wireless issue, or something at their end.

Does downloading with an ethernet cable help ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:14:07 am »
Sounds like it's either a wireless issue, or something at their end.

Does downloading with an ethernet cable help ?

Haven't checked. I am getting good results on a HTML5 speedtest so I don't think it's a wireless issue. I have done a little research on this issue and I have found some people who had problems in the past (some years ago) but I found nothing recent reporting this issue.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:31:21 am »
Have you tried changing mirrors on Steam?  That sometimes helps.

It probably is on their end, though.  When you have issues like this, pause your Steam download, open a web browser and try downloading something from a trusted source, or sources.  If it acts fine, then it's a problem with Steam's servers and there's nothing you can do about it.  If you contact support, you'll get the runaround and they'll have you check all this stuff on your end that's probably fine, but never acknowledge that it may be an issue on their end.  ::)

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
Have you tried changing mirrors on Steam?  That sometimes helps.

It probably is on their end, though.  When you have issues like this, pause your Steam download, open a web browser and try downloading something from a trusted source, or sources.  If it acts fine, then it's a problem with Steam's servers and there's nothing you can do about it.  If you contact support, you'll get the runaround and they'll have you check all this stuff on your end that's probably fine, but never acknowledge that it may be an issue on their end.  ::)

Yes, I have tried changing mirrors. I think this may be an issue related to the Steam client for Linux as I have never heard reports of this issue occurring on Windows.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:02 am »
I've had it in both Windows and Linux.  It's just something that happens.  The Steam servers get a lot of traffic on any given day, even worse on weekend days.

Meanwhile, my Steam client is downloading updates right around top speed right now.  That was why I suggested the mirror thing, even though I figured you'd probably already tried that.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »
Yeah I seriously doubt if it's the Linux steam client, which just requests downloads via the OS .. so if it's not an OS problem (eg. all downloads do this) .. well you  the picture.

On top of that if it were a local problem it would happen all the time.

Could it simply be someone else on your LAN downloading at the same time ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 01:31:46 pm »
Yeah I seriously doubt if it's the Linux steam client, which just requests downloads via the OS .. so if it's not an OS problem (eg. all downloads do this) .. well you  the picture.

On top of that if it were a local problem it would happen all the time.

Could it simply be someone else on your LAN downloading at the same time ?

Nobody but me is using the Wi-Fi at this time. And my download speed is 155Mbps/20Mbps

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 06:50:52 pm »
I'm going to assume you meant 155KBps/20Mbps.

Yeah, that's slow.  If you were downloading during a "peak" time where you're at, that could explain it.  Despite being the #1 gaming platform in the world, Steam's servers can't handle really high load.  ::)  I personally avoid weekends (especially Saturday and Sunday) during the daytime and evening, as they tend to be notorious for slow times.  Though, you also may have kids out of school for the Summer where you're at, which makes a difference.  Once school starts back up, expect weekdays to be better.  Though, the middle of the night is actually the best time to download from Steam.

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 10:01:24 pm »
I'm going to assume you meant 155KBps/20Mbps.

Yeah, that's slow.  If you were downloading during a "peak" time where you're at, that could explain it.  Despite being the #1 gaming platform in the world, Steam's servers can't handle really high load.  ::)  I personally avoid weekends (especially Saturday and Sunday) during the daytime and evening, as they tend to be notorious for slow times.  Though, you also may have kids out of school for the Summer where you're at, which makes a difference.  Once school starts back up, expect weekdays to be better.  Though, the middle of the night is actually the best time to download from Steam.

No, I said it right. My download speed is 155Mbps.  :D And yeah, I do see that Steam's servers get overloaded quite a bit, especially the ones located in the US. I eventually get decent download speed, it just takes awhile for my actual speed to take effect with Steam's servers. I have a server really close to me though so during the week, the downloads fly  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:06:02 pm by Kyle »