Author Topic: Peppermint 7 , the best ubuntu 16.04 implementation ?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline GNULINUX

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
Re: Peppermint 7 , the best ubuntu 16.04 implementation ?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 06:22:37 am »
^ Indeed, that sums it up very nicely!  8)

It still amazes me how fast it is (and stays), considering the things I install and have running!
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline armageddon51

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 08:31:40 am »
Just to remind some experienced users that a lot of windows and newbies are now attracted to Peppermint and they have no idea where to get themes, icons or even to how install them. I am proposing three sets which covert all the basics preferences. I remember some distros (I can't remember which ones - I'll look it up) which propose a choice of already made up themes. That would satisfy a lot of people. Themes and icons doesn't take any signifiant space anyway.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 08:55:45 am »
Sometimes, it has to do with which desktop you're running.  IE: Gnome and KDE have a built in mechanic to get more themes from the web.  It has nothing to do with the distribution, any distro running that desktop environment will have that.  They're automatically downloaded and installed for you by that mechanic.  Easy peasy.  Users using that learn absolutely nothing about how themes work in Linux.

Other desktops don't have this, forcing users to manually install themes.  It's a bit trickier, but not overly difficult.  If any new users want to know how it works, they can always ask and we will gladly tell them how to download themes, where to put them and how to activate them.  In following those steps, people will learn how themes work in Linux and how to add themes to any Linux DE.  (the old teach a man to fish bit)

One of the biggest theme related issues is getting ones that are compatible, particularly with the whole GTK2 or GTK3 issue.  That can be a bit trickier.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:03 am »
Hi,

It's not like Peppermint 7 comes without any theming options: In the Peppermint Settings Panel, click on Customize Look and Feel. There you will find by default 14 Widget options and 8 Icon Themes. For a "minimalist" type of distro, you are actually given quite good a range of combinations from which to choose.  8)

Not satisfied? Ask on the forum, as scifidude79 explained. Too lazy to do that? Then perhaps you would be better off using a different, really bloated distro rather than PeppermintOS;)

Regards,

-- Slim

Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:50 am »
That would satisfy a lot of people. Themes and icons doesn't take any signifiant space anyway.

Not exactly true .. the themes and icon sets in Peppermint probably account for around a quarter of the overall ISO size

FULL icon sets are quite heavy .. cut down icon sets that "inherit" icons from other themes, not so much ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline armageddon51

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 10:42:04 am »
Just to remind some experienced users that a lot of windows and newbies are now attracted to Peppermint and they have no idea where to get themes, icons or even to how install them. I am proposing three sets which covert all the basics preferences. I remember some distros (I can't remember which ones - I'll look it up) which propose a choice of already made up themes. That would satisfy a lot of people. Themes and icons doesn't take any significant space anyway.

Just to follow up, I remember where I saw this distro with all the styling built in. It is called ChaletOS, also based now on 16.04 and xfce. The feature is called "style changer" and it's got a lot and lot of built-in styles, including conky, ready to apply. May be something that Pep can do one day. That should be that easy to change styling. Who care if the distro is 1, 1.3 ,1.6 GB.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 02:27:15 am »
Just to follow up, I remember where I saw this distro with all the styling built in. It is called ChaletOS, also based now on 16.04 and xfce. The feature is called "style changer" and it's got a lot and lot of built-in styles, including conky, ready to apply. May be something that Pep can do one day. That should be that easy to change styling. Who care if the distro is 1, 1.3 ,1.6 GB.
Hi armageddon51,

Actually you would have been amazed at the discussions that took place "behind the scenes" during the development of Peppermint 7  concerning the size of the ISO:o And we were discussing differences of only a few hundred MBs ...

To appreciate this it is necessary to know and accept the Peppermint Philosophy/Ethos which is nicely summarized in the slide show found at the PeppermintOS home page.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline armageddon51

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 06:59:37 am »
I totally respect that Slim. It's your distro and you decide. I just wondering how many people choose Pep for its smaller size ? There are of course even smaller Linux distros available. I definitely prefer to have more features, not programs since I can get those easely. Not the kitchen sinks but a good balance. I like to have air conditioning in my car even if it consume more gazoline and weight a bit more but not the heating seats.  That's just me of course.   

Have a great week-end   ;D :D :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 07:19:47 am »
The problem is "where is that balance point ?" .. it differs for everyone, I personally don't want a tone of themes/icon sets, you do.

There is absolutely no "correct" balance point .. sure, I could add more, then remove them again when someone says "too many", but as that would be kinda daft, we formulated an "ethos" which saves arguments.

If it doesn't serve a necessary functional purpose .. try not to include it by default (or keep it small/minimal), the user can install if THEY choose.

If we included everything that's ever been requested, we'd just go to Synaptic, mark every package and click Apply.

Believe me we get a lot of pressure to change this or that and some of it is tempting until we stop and think whether it would suit everyone .. having a simple ethos/rule in place to weigh all decisions against saves a lot of arguments, and keeps us true to our core vision.

[EDIT]

Besides which, no matter how many themes/icon sets we include, eventually people will want some that aren't included .. and that's the way it should be "make it YOUR own" :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:24:50 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec