Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 7 , the best ubuntu 16.04 implementation ?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline armageddon51

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Peppermint 7 , the best ubuntu 16.04 implementation ?
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:17:50 pm »
I still use Peppermint 6 on one of my comp and I have no intention of changing it. It has been such an unbreakable strong horse that I will keep it for a longtime. So I start installing Linux Mint 18 cinnamon on another older computer and while it works mostly fine, there are still deal breaker bugs in their distro that I ditch it and install Pep 7.  First of all, I am really not a fan of the goofy styling but it can be easely fix. So I have it now the way I like (the "flat" look is the equivalent of the Zika virus for Linux. Eventually it will be cured).  Any way to my surprise none of the bugs of Mint 18 are present in 7. It seems that the Peppermint team have taken the best parts of other distros and make it work great all together. So kudos to the developers, that made another outstanding and solid distro (even though I think they have bad taste in design, but it's of course, that's subjective ...)  :D

Tx

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Peppermint 7 , the best ubuntu 16.04 implementation ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:26:32 pm »
Hi Armageddon51

Styling aside, we are pleased you like Peppermint 7. As you say styling is easily fixed.
Team Peppermint went through months of alpha testing and then beta testing trying to iron out as many quirks as possible and to have you say it is better than Mint 18 is, I am sure, music to their ears - Thank You :D

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k
P10r x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:32:34 pm »
So kudos to the developers, that made another outstanding and solid distro (even though I think they have bad taste in design, but it's of course, that's subjective ...)  :D

Tx

Thx for recognizing that it's a subjective determination.

Flat is all the rage, right now.  So, you go with the flow, in that regard.

It's easy enough to change the look to one's liking, yes ?

If I had my way, we'd be using G3.   Thank your lucky stars !   ;D

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 03:45:22 pm »
Hi Armageddon51

Thanks for your opinion good and bad I agree PM6 is arguably our most solid release and was always gonna be a hard act to follow but it was built on a more mature kernel, the 16.04 kernel has proved challenging as did systemd 

styling is subjective and impossible to please everyone however I agree it has been a weakness in previous versions but we did put a lot of effort into aesthetics in PM7  and I think we made significant improvements on previous versions as with the xfce4 panel and whisker menu and the wallpaper selection is a huge improvement in my opinion.

Anyway glad you're enjoying Peppermint long may it continue

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 04:05:03 pm »
In my totally biased opinion, yes Peppermint 7 is the best 16.04 implementation.  :D

As for bugs in Mint Cinnamon not being present, that's not really a surprise.  I'm not saying Mint is particularly buggier or anything, but underneath Cinnamon lies Gnome 3.  Gnome 3 typically has quite a few bugs that don't show up in other desktop environments.  The MATE release of Mint may be better since it's not based on Gnome 3, but it's hard to say for certain.

As for themes, as you say it's an easy fix.  No single theme is going to appeal to everyone, hence many choices.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:07:54 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:46:57 pm »
Seems the new theme has polarised opinion, some love it others hate it there's little middle ground (I should have named the new theme "Marmite"), I can live with that, at least people are talking about it. It's hard to gauge opinion when nobody talks about something, on top of that they do say "all press is good press".

The new theme was an intentional change in direction, but not necessarily a fixed direction for the future .. more a "let's change it up and see what happens".

It's odd people say Cinnamon is becoming "boring" because they stick with generally the same look release after release, but change anything and just as many people complain.

It's true what they say, "you'll never please everyone" with defaults, all you can do is try to make customisation as easy as possible.

As I suggested we don't take any offence when people say they don't like the new themeing, on the contrary we're happy it's being discussed and a 50:50 split is about as good as you're going to get, which is about what we're seeing :)

BTW, I always loved Marmite :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:56:51 pm »
I loved marmite when I first encountered it on a trip to NZ back in the day PCNetSpec, but agree with armageddon51 about the flat theme being ghastly. But not yet bothered by it enough that I've spent time looking to replace it yet. I'm still allowing Firefox to remain in an effort to come to like it once again. Best implementation of ubuntu 16.04? I wouldn't know, for I've never felt an urge to try anything but peppermint from One to 7...
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 06:22:21 pm »
I know how you feel about Peppermint Six  ;).  It's a solid workhorse.  It'll take all kinds of abuse and still keep on going.  I've it still running on my old Fujitsu Siemens li3710 AMLO Notebook.  I say to myself everyday, "I'll upgrade it today" and today always drifts into tomorrow.  Peppermint Six was a defining moment for the Peppermint Project.  You guys don't know how many pure panic moments there are attached to its development.  When it was launched, it was very different to its predecessors.  It had grown up  ;).   Yeah, I'm loathed to give it up.  Maybe, I'll do it tomorrow   ;D.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 06:32:52 pm »
When you say the flat theme is ghastly .. are you talking about the icons, or the gtk theme ?

As Andy suggested there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes you guys don't get to see .. such as

Gtk theme - I'd spent a LOT of time (months) working on a gtk theme in Peppermint 6 for Peppermint 7 .. but when Ubuntu 16.04 was released it became obvious the move to gtk 3.18 had BADLY broken earlier themes and there was a MAJOR shortage of themes that actually worked properly in the new version, so there was a bit of a last minute scramble to find and modify a working theme out of the handful available that actually worked.
The Peppermint 7 gtk theme was therefore NOT the one we'd planned, but I think a fair job was done in tweaking it in the short time we had to do so .. I was happy "enough".

The icon theme - We'd had a TON of people saying Peppermint was looking tired, and should go with new "flat" look, nearly everyone suggesting "numix circle" .. well I wasn't really a fan of the flat look, and EVERYONE and his dog used numix circle, I didn't want to look like everyone else so I chose a circular icon set with a kinda "half-flat" look then figured "what the heck, let's try it out and see how it goes down".

I did however bow to peoples request for numix and add them, just not as the default

Believe me I'm not a fan of "flat", and that makes it VERY hard for me to grasp what people want when they're asking for it because I'm not "getting" it (hence why I'm happy it's now being discussed :) ) .. we tried REALLY hard to come to a consensus on the icon theme, but there were too many differing opinions so at the end of the day I had to call it (so blame me if you wish :P)

The long and the short of it is both the gtk and icon themes were for differing reasons compromises, I wasn't 100% happy with either but I considered them good enough .. the only other option would be to have held up the release whilst some gtk 3.18 compliant themes appeared, and a consensus was reached over the icons

a) there's STILL a major shortage of fully working gtk 3.18 themes.
and
b) reaching a consensus was exhausted

So Peppermint 7 would still be on hold

These should NOT be read as excuses, as I've said excuses aren't necessary, a LOT of compliments have come our way over the new look .. it's purely an explanation of how we ended up where we did .. overall I'm happy enough, and at least we tempered the new look with some outstanding wallpapers by Ray Bilcliff :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:11:07 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline armageddon51

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 07:38:19 pm »
Just a note from my original post, I am not here to denigrate the Mint team work. I have more then one computer and my main one is running Mint Kde 17.3 and another, Mint Cinnamon 17.3. They both works flawlessly and I have no intention to upgrade either. Probably Mint 18.1 or .2 will be the real one to look for. For now though IMO, Pep 7 is the new king for Ubuntu based distros and it will be hard to budge if they make it as good as version 6.

Still there are so many good distros out there now. We are really spoiled. It's hard to settle for one for a long time. Comparing that to windows, the later is really, really depressing and I am so disappointed that people (sheep) don't know about the extraordinary freedom and quality that Linux brings now.

As for the theme, why not incorporate more of them out of the box (flat, semi-3D and 3D) and more icons set. They could be put in evidence during the installation. They don't take much space anyway. Noobslab has some nice ones for Ubuntu 15 and 16 which work in Pep 7. Personally I am using Ambiance (lot of colors available) which is "semi-flat". I think the old icons sets still works.

I am not making such a big deal of the original theme because what really count is the engine underneath the paint job. And there, the Peppermint team did their home work for sure. I have only praise for them. Did i mention that it's all free of charge ???

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 08:00:47 pm »
A "few" themes and icons sets if fine, but to include a ton kind of goes against our ethos of not bundling stuff that users may not use .. we like to leave application choice to the user and this should extend to themeing.

We're not an "everything including the kitchen sink" type distro .. we're a "only the tools you need to make it your own" distro.

Generally if it doesn't serve a necessary functional purpose we leave it to the user (or use an SSB that takes up nearly no space) .. it's about the only thing we think Microsoft actually gets right.

I personally find having to remove preinstalled software I don't want MUCH more annoying than installing software I do want .. this was one of the things that drew me to Peppermint in the first place.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 08:22:03 pm »
To be honest, I found the bright icons a bit distracting when we were Beta testing Peppermint 7.  However, I quickly grew used to them and now they seem normal to me.

I personally find having to remove preinstalled software I don't want MUCH more annoying than installing software I do want .. this was one of the things that drew me to Peppermint in the first place.

You and me both.  One of the things that has always attracted me to Peppermint is the minimalist approach.  I actually enjoy installing my favorite software after a new OS install.  What I hate is having to remove a bunch of stuff I never use.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:36 pm »
Yeah, deconstructing to reconstruct is plain counter intuitive IMHO.  Give me a solid minimal base and the tools to build.  This along with a great forum for assistance, is all you really need - Linux in a nutshell  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 05:22:23 am »
Yeah, deconstructing to reconstruct is plain counter intuitive IMHO.  Give me a solid minimal base and the tools to build.  This along with a great forum for assistance, is all you really need - Linux in a nutshell  ;).
+1

I install lots of software (video editing, image editing, office,...) and even install some visual "enhancements" that don't really fit the "Peppermint Ethos" but I still prefer Peppermint exactly for the reasons AndyInMokum mentioned!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 07:37:55 am »
On the contrary, that fits the Peppermint "ethos" perfectly .. you install what YOU want .. that's the Peppermint ethos in a nutshell :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec