Choose style:

Author Topic: AM I BEWITCHED BY PEPPERMINT  (Read 1249 times)

Offline susa

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 - trying to migrate to 7
AM I BEWITCHED BY PEPPERMINT
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:46:15 am »
Greetings people,

...Yes it seems i am!
I'm also a music fancier, thus i tried to install  Guayadeque player, using the sole alternative of downloading the .deb version and essaying to use gdebi to install. Then along came that debian curse they call «dependencies not satisfied», it read:" libglib 2.0.0 (>=2.41.1) -- whatever that pseudo-arythmetic 'mumbo-jumbo' means to inform with such a 'user-friendly' module!... So i went to synaptics and installed each and every item bearing the alfa-digit group of libglib 2.xxx xx and to my unpleasantry the resulting feedback was exactly the very same i above reproduce.

I Googled the issue and was presented with a bunch of options -- some of them bearing the discouraging under-tittle of 'not recommended', others pertaining to 32 bits only, others corresponding to 64 (my one rig basis) which i uneventfully installed only to obtain the said same veredict of "not satisfyable" -- Good grief!!!

Sick and tired of these finnickynesses of an "open Box" OS, i went and recurring to HD installing Peppermint SEVEN
in my rig -- and it all proceeded smooth, softly, although somewhat slow.  Correction: very, very SLOW, untill it reached a beautifull beach landscape if not excecessively rocky, and that was all: NO PANNEL/S, NO START MENU --
nothing to stain the picturesque beach picture...

Mouse Right tapping, 'secret' keyboard combos such as ALT+F1 or F2 -- even ALt+Ctrl+Del. (deo gratiae), produced some expectations of results of a few brief DVD moves -- but nothing awaked Peppermint Seven to show some of its
hidden charms to a damsel in distress (me). Nothing. NOTHING. 

I thought: well «it must be some crisis undercrippling my recent, stout, laptop» which i had previously asked a Geeky guy to place a multibooting loader (completely functional up to: Black Lab 8 and MINT 17.3 until today) so i powered off and experimented: no trouble in each and all the above distros including c:| Windows 7_Ultimate.  Well, well so far, so good i concluded.

Stuborn as i am and this time going to the LIVE mode (instead of directly "INSTALL" as my first attempt, BUT...the
dreadful scene repeated before my stunned eyesight: the picture -- that's all i was allowed -- although this time with
a difference:  NO MOUSE AVAILABLE !

I've occupied too much space and probably very few will read me to this end. I'm sorry.  Will not repeat (its just my 1 outraged expression...) Perhaps Peppermint 7.5 or 8 will grace my expectations -- unless there's some "ressuscitating recipe", anyone would kindly provide -- but, please: no iddle queries.
Kind Regards,
Susa

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: AM I BEWITCHED BY PEPPERMINT
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:54:54 am »
Hi susa and welcome to the forum :)

Does Peppermint work (eg display properly, etc.) in "Live" mode (Try Peppermint), and only fail once installed ?

Are you attempting to keep a home partition from a previous version or different distro ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:48 am »
Stuborn as i am and this time going to the LIVE mode (instead of directly "INSTALL" as my first attempt, BUT...the
dreadful scene repeated before my stunned eyesight: the picture -- that's all i was allowed -- although this time with
a difference:  NO MOUSE AVAILABLE !

PCNetSpec, to me that looks like the answer to your first question would be NO :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:30:00 am »
@murraymint

That section could mean she originally installed it with "Install Peppermint", then INSTALLED it from the "Try Peppermint" desktop .. it doesn't specifically clarify whether it worked or not in a "Live" session prior to installation.

I'm just after clarification on that point.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:32:16 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 10:34:03 am »
Ah, could be that I suppose.

Offline susa

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 12:51:27 pm »
Oh dear did triggered so many doubts?
Gentlemen (i assume) i think i've been very clear: I NEVER REACHED THE INSTALLED STATUS because before entering any cataloguing of personal data and/or instalation mode, partition selection a.s.o. i was face-splashed with the referred anestesiated picture and full stop.  This happened either in my first essay "INSTALL PEPPERMINT IN the HD (was planning to re-format and install it on the same partition where i still have version SIX running as a charm; either, as i stressed, when i granted the LIVE mode to work at first and then -- i planned -- to click in the "install peppermint 7" tab (which never appeared -- and, on the contrary, abusing my good faith in peppermint beta-testing, this version commanded the mouse to drop dead -- to which it did comply, leaving me disabled and disgusted with version 7. VADE RETRO!      Regards, susa

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:30:36 pm »
We're sorry to hear that. Unfortunately none of us had that problem in beta testing. One other user has reported it on the forum, but he refused to give any more details so we never got to the bottom of why it happened.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 01:34:28 pm »
From a Peppermint 6 session (live or otherwise) can you post the output from:
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
so we can get an idea of the hardware.

Have you tested the LiveUSB on another PC to rule out corruption ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline susa

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 05:21:06 pm »
well i can see i am not offered any feasible solution for my ludicrous problem of being blocked to install peppermint 7, even in the case of
having version SIX duly installed and running -- while not allowing me to use guayadeque player AND it only accepts a change of wallpapper
for twice or alike times and then, on its own changes back to the basic hexagonal highlighted cells -- there's some weird fixation on wallpappers within Peppermint inner philosophy, is n't it? Or is just a display demo of running the show?! Anyway is one more distressing surprise to cumulate to the fact that apparently it admits installment of apps such as seamonkey but then hydes their whereabouts -- as if they never reached any  bin folder and were banned for bad behaviour sake.  Well it Pepp 6 still has its stained appeal for the time being ...

@ PCNetSpec = cant really imagine what purpose this will serve but i leave you the info that my rig is a TOSHIBA C-660 - thanking for your attentions anyway.    Kind regards for you and everyone who payed me some time and nice attentive wordings....   Susa

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 06:26:36 pm »
Okay I've tried to ignore it and stay friendly but I'm now beginning to think this is some kind of joke ?

cant really imagine what purpose this will serve but i leave you the info that my rig is a TOSHIBA C-660

Not really what I asked for (inxi output), surely you can see how us knowing what hardware you're using might help us to diagnose the problem ?

in which case why say

well i can see i am not offered any feasible solution

when you'd not given us any info to go on .. we're not mind readers or magicians.

Gentlemen (i assume) i think i've been very clear: I NEVER REACHED THE INSTALLED STATUS

Erm not really or I wouldn't have asked .. I'm not in the habit of asking questions purely for fun

leaving me disabled and disgusted with version 7

disgusted ? .. so don't use it, we certainly don't want to disgust anyone.

i tried to install  Guayadeque player, using the sole alternative of downloading the .deb version and essaying to use gdebi to install. Then along came that debian curse they call «dependencies not satisfied», it read:" libglib 2.0.0 (>=2.41.1) -- whatever that pseudo-arythmetic 'mumbo-jumbo' means to inform with such a 'user-friendly' module!... So i went to synaptics and installed each and every item bearing the alfa-digit group of libglib 2.xxx xx and to my unpleasantry the resulting feedback was exactly the very same i above reproduce.

If you know what Synaptic is for, why didn't you just install Guayadeque from the default repos ? .. downloading a .deb is neither the correct method of installing Guayadeque, or the "sole alternative", it's available in Synaptic from the Universe repo (enabled by default in Peppermint 6 and 7
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/guayadeque

one more distressing surprise to cumulate to the fact that apparently it admits installment of apps such as seamonkey but then hydes their whereabouts

Seamonkey is not a default package, in fact it's not in the default repositories AT ALL, so again you're complaining about a situation that is not of our make  and asking us to diagnose the problem with ZERO information to work with, such as:-
where did you get seamonkey
which version
how did you install it
etc.

If this is a serious request for assistance, please tone down the passive aggressive nature of your posts and answer the requests for technical feedback, then we'll try our best to help in as friendly a manner as possible.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:28:22 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 07:08:08 pm »
Yeah, I think it's some kind of joke. Like Murray said, there was another user with similar complaints and a similar writing style. Maybe a Peppermint hater (if that exists). Regardless, no problems can be solved if there is no cooperation, we've done our part.

Offline susa

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 09:08:20 am »
That's it "Gentlemen":

Now i'm pushed to tone down my PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE post style; now i'm accused of not providing the required data infos to be submitted to the deep analysis of the hereby GURUS -- because providing due infos on brand and model of my equpment  is not enough -- only the mumbo-jumbo of unix translation of specs, would be enough to enable and produce a saving help for my obnoxious problem of being blocked to install version 7 of Peppermint!
And now, the above given, i am labelled as a probable Peppermint HATER!  Oh frates quam estulticiae estis? Rough Translation:
how oligophrenic can one be?

I'm even compaired -- on account of some small interventor to be coined, with judicious veredict capacity, of  being in cahouts with some disgusting person that reported the same problem in the past!...

I realize its due time to fare-thee-well and thank you all for the valuable "helping hints and advises" i was offered here! -- I'm sorry but i could not discover a more toned-down wording to express my huge FRUSTRATED disappointment.  Over & Out.  Susa 

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 09:52:30 am »
Cool.  :D
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 11:42:04 am »
Thanks for providing us with some well earn comic relief; it's much appreciated :)).  There were no accusations of you failing to provide the required data.  Your failure to provide the requested information, is a given fact.  No accusations are necessary.   The alternative information you decided to provide, was about as much good as a chocolate teapot.  No one here is going to do further research based on the data, (or the lack of it) you provide :'(

If sometime in the future you do actually have an issue.  I think it's safe to assume you didn't on this occasion, or you'd provide the requested information.  Please think before you make your post.  In all likelihood, you'll be ask for to enter some code and return the output.  This is done for a good reason.  It keeps the dialog objective and it facilitates a speedier resolution.  By no means does anyone here think you're a Peppermint hater.  To be quite honest, I don't think anyone would care if you where.  Your likes and dislike are your own business, not ours.  I wish you luck and hope you continue to enjoy Peppermint albeit an earlier release  ;)!
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 11:53:00 am »
If you would like to start again in a new topic with a different tone, please do so, and we'll be happy to assist .. but I'm locking this topic so it doesn't get out of hand.

Otherwise, we wish you "all the best" :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:54:36 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec