Choose style:

Author Topic: What's your favorite internet browser?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: What's your favorite internet browser?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 03:30:31 pm »
Firefox  :-*
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 03:50:00 pm »
Hmmm Lets play with Seamonkey   :D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »

Seamonkey isn't bad, if you need the kitchen sink.  It's based on the old Netscape and Mozilla suite principles of including a browser, e-mail client, chat client and news reader in one.  The great thing about it is that it works with any and all Firefox add-ons.  8)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 04:32:43 pm »

Seamonkey isn't bad, if you need the kitchen sink.  It's based on the old Netscape and Mozilla suite principles of including a browser, e-mail client, chat client and news reader in one.  The great thing about it is that it works with any and all Firefox add-ons.  8)
I have found one it won't and that is Browsec VPN but other than that it seems fast and it works with the Forums which is a must  ;)
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 01:04:41 am »
I have found one it won't and that is Browsec VPN but other than that it seems fast and it works with the Forums which is a must  ;)

I stand corrected on the plugins thing.  ;)

The web browser portion is based on Gecko, just like Firefox is. (though, it probably can't save you money on car insurance :P) So, pretty much any site that's designed to work with Firefox, which is the vast majority of them, should work with SeaMonkey also.  (operative word: should)

Offline SantaFe

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64bit
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 08:22:47 pm »
Mines Firefox!  Used to compile it myself to use GTK3, but then Mozilla copied me. :p :D

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 11:22:15 pm »
Chromium.

Offline Norton

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 11:55:13 am »
Slimjet for me. http://www.slimjet.com/

Based on Chromium, but with updated Flash like Chrome, but sends no user stats like Chrome does. Has a few other useful extras, plus uses Chrome's extensions.

Hard to tell you are not using Chrome when using Slimjet.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 12:13:23 pm »
It's NOT an updated flash .. it's a PPAPI version of Adobe's flashplayer 11 renamed as pepperflash

When Adobe release a security update to flashplayer 11.202.nnn they only replace the last 3 digits and keep the 11.202 .. Google then convert that to a PPAPI plugin and apply it to Chrome with a WHOLE version number hike

But it's still Adobe 11.202.nnn under the skin

Google are NOT doing their own flashplayer (a look at the Chrome EULA shows this .. it's lisenced from Adobe), and Adobe are not updating flash for linux, just releasing security updates (which is a joke in and of itself).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• Microshaft cannot compete...
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 (x64)
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 12:17:44 pm »
It's NOT an updated flash .. it's a PPAPI version of Adobe's flashplayer 11 renamed as pepperflash

When Adobe release a security update to flashplayer 11.202.nnn they only replace the last 3 digits and keep the 11.202 .. Google then convert that to a PPAPI plugin and apply it to Chrome with a WHOLE version number hike

Google are NOT doing their own flashplayer (a look at the Chrome EULA shows this .. it's lisenced from Adobe), and Adobe are not updating flash for linux, just releasing security updates (which is a joke in and of itself).

It's a good news that Flash is becoming extinct. Everything that once used Flash is now moving to HTML5 or has moved to HTML5. And for the 1% that don't move to Flash, they will impose a security risk to all of their visitors. It baffles me that people still use Flash in 2016. Practically every site has HTML5 video support, including YouTube. To add more truth to this argument, I seen somewhere that there were around 20 security patches (recently) to Flash to patch some severe security threats such as the possibility of hackers remotely gaining access to your computer if you use Google Chrome with Flash.
[] Dell Latitude E6400 []
[] CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 [] RAM: 4GB DDR2 [] HDD: 1TB 5400RPM WD Black []

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 12:23:29 pm »
I take it you don't use Fekbook then ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 12:38:33 pm »
I take it you don't use Fekbook then ?

I do, but only on my Android phone.

Offline Norton

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 04:11:22 pm »

It's a good news that Flash is becoming extinct. Everything that once used Flash is now moving to HTML5 or has moved to HTML5. And for the 1% that don't move to Flash, they will impose a security risk to all of their visitors. It baffles me that people still use Flash in 2016. Practically every site has HTML5 video support, including YouTube. To add more truth to this argument, I seen somewhere that there were around 20 security patches (recently) to Flash to patch some severe security threats such as the possibility of hackers remotely gaining access to your computer if you use Google Chrome with Flash.

I wasn't clear, I meant the security updates. 

Yes, Flash is trash and the sooner in the bin the better.

I have it disabled anyway and haven't had any issues.

BUT, re: the subject matter: I still think Slimjet overall is the best browser - IMO.   ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 04:46:18 pm »
It would take one heck of a browser to budge me from Firefox after all these years .. old dogs / new tricks kinda scenario

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 05:08:23 pm »
It would take one heck of a browser to budge me from Firefox after all these years .. old dogs / new tricks kinda scenario

That's how I was. I recently moved to Chromium now after using SeaMonkey for a while. Firefox is great, and is my first choice, given I have a more powerful CPU than a Atom N270  :D