Choose style:

Author Topic: What's your favorite internet browser?  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Kyle

• Microshaft cannot compete...
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 (x64)
What's your favorite internet browser?
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:24:19 pm »
Mine is Firefox  :) but I also like Seamonkey for a lightweight browser that has no compromises.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:54:16 am by Kyle »
[] Dell Latitude E6400 []
[] CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 [] RAM: 4GB DDR2 [] HDD: 1TB 5400RPM WD Black []

Offline tppthpthp

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 & 7
Re: What's your favorite internet browser?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:38:42 pm »
tppthpthp aka: "bob"

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:58:57 pm »
Firefox.  I've been using it since version 1. :)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 01:13:48 am »
Google Chrome just because I've become used to it and it accommodates Netflix natively.  I also prefer it for making SSBs.  I keep Firefox as my backup browser  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 02:17:09 am »
iceweasel   :D

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 06:41:15 am »
For surfing, I don't have a real favorite! I use Google Chrome, Chromium and Firefox and some of their family members...

For SSB's/ICE: Definitely Firefox because it uses a different profile for each instance!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 07:45:56 am »
Firefox for MANY reasons...

Not least of which are:-

It displays stuff and behaves more consistently than Chrome/Chromium or any of the browsers based on it .. take this forum for example, if you copy a command from here and paste it directly into a terminal you'll find Chrome/Chromium adds a carriage return which causes the command to immediately run when pasted into the terminal, which I may not want to do, I might want to edit the command before running it.
(this is just ONE example .. there are MANY)

Like scifidude79 I've used it since it was released

and it has FAR more plugins/themes/extensions available

Chrome releases can be massively unstable sometimes .. I've never suffered this with Firefox

Google make some very strange political decisions and impose them on you, such as the dropping of 32bit and flash/java debacles.

Chrome seems to use more memory, not a problem in and of itself, but a lot of their releases have historically been prone to memory leaks, often even with Googles own API's such as those used for the graphs in Google Analytics, etc.
(and if you're not sure what a memory leak is - it's where the app continues to progressively use more RAM until you have non left, due to things like bad garbage collection where it's not unloading redundant data from memory properly)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:01:46 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 07:58:46 am »

It displays stuff and behaves more consistently than Chrome/Chromium or any of the browsers based on it .. take this forum for example, if you copy a command from here and paste it directly into a terminal you'll find Chrome/Chromium adds a carriage return which causes the command to immediately run when pasted into the terminal, which I may not want to do, I might want to edit the command before running it.

Chrome releases can be massively unstable sometimes .. I've never suffered this with Firefox

Google make some very strange political decisions and impose them on you

Chrome seems to use more memory, not a problem in and of itself, but a lot of their releases have historically been prone to memory leaks, often even with Googles own tools such as Analytics, etc.
(and if you're not sure what a memory leak is - it's where the app continues to progressively use more RAM until you have non left, due to things like bad garbage collection where it's not unloading unused data from memory properly)

Very good reasons! I personally have never used Chrome or Chromium as a day-to-day browser. I've been using Firefox since 2008 but I also use Seamonkey as it is an excellent choice for my netbook. One thing I love about Firefox/Seamonkey (or other derivatives of Firefox) is the large add-on selection and a significant amount of the add-ons are open-source, too! Not to mention Mozilla has great ideology and they do their best to protect their users privacy.

Offline tppthpthp

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 08:42:06 am »

Google make some very strange political decisions and impose them on you

Chrome seems to use more memory, not a problem in and of itself, but a lot of their releases have historically been prone to memory leaks, often even with Googles own tools such as Analytics, etc.
(and if you're not sure what a memory leak is - it's where the app continues to progressively use more RAM until you have non left, due to things like bad garbage collection where it's not unloading unused data from memory properly)

Very good reasons! I personally have never used Chrome or Chromium as a day-to-day browser. I've been using Firefox since 2008 but I also use Seamonkey as it is an excellent choice for my netbook. One thing I love about Firefox/Seamonkey (or other derivatives of Firefox) is the large add-on selection and a significant amount of the add-ons are open-source, too! Not to mention Mozilla has great ideology and they do their best to protect their users privacy.

wow, you guys have really good reasons..........
I just started using firefox because I despised using Internet Explorer on my work machine (winders) and just carried over to my linux experience.
Now my work has us using either IE8 or IE11 or Chrome depending on the applications that we use.   ???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:55:12 am by tppthpthp »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 09:06:29 am »
IE8 .. good god man, I guess security isn't a major concern then :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 09:27:43 am »
wow, you guys have really good reasons..........
I just started using firefox because I despised using Internet Explorer on my work machine (winders) and just carried over to my linux experience.
Now my work has us using either IE8 or IE11 or Chrome depending on the applications that we use.   ???

Ouch, IE... Hasn't IE8 been discontinued in... 2012? But, the good news with just about every modern/popular browser is you are constantly updated to the newest version, and frequently. This means less security vulnerabilities and better compatibility with sites. From a web developer standpoint, I think it's a safe bet to say that website owners are unhappy with IE's existence because they constantly have to test their websites' compatibility with multiple versions of IE to ensure an smooth experience on all of the different versions...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:29:19 am by Kyle »

Offline tppthpthp

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:23 am »
IE8 .. good god man, I guess security isn't a major concern then :o

Some time ago they had written/acquired a web browser based application that was written specifically for IE8. :'(
Then removed access to all options/settings in the browser apparently thinking that would prevent the end users from screwing things up by not allowing them to change things.
I've often said that the company implements security by preventing users from using the tools. The best way to keep you (or anyone else) from messing up something is simply denying you access.........

It's like buying a refrigerator for your home and then putting a lock on it with one key to keep the bad guys out.
But it also prevents your family easy access. When what you should do is put a lock on the house..............

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 03:13:30 pm »
Firefox for sure.

Back in high school my sysadmin only had IE on the computers. I said screw that, and brought in a flashdrive with portable Firefox.

A few people would bring Tor to go onto their Facebook and whatnot, but I don't trust all of Tor's exit relays.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »
My first computer came with Windows 98 and IE4.  Horrible browser, continuously crashing.  Due to that, I've never really taken to IE.  After that debacle, I tried some other browsers, including Netscape.  I settled on Mozilla's original browser, then Firefox when it came out.  I've tried Chromium/Chrome and others over the years, but I always wind up back here.