Choose style:

Author Topic: MicroShaft Paranoia... Or Not ?!?!?  (Read 1335 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: MicroShaft Paranoia... Or Not ?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:45:13 pm »
Gosh I hope not... If so, prepare for riots.

On a sidenote, why is your browser windowed? Is it so (the proverbial) they can't identify you through your resolution?

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:46:35 pm »
How is getting rid of Win32 going to "kill" Steam?  Last time I checked, Steam also runs on OSX and Linux.  They even have their own Debian-based OS.  Steam will go on.  Also, they can finally join the 21st century of computing and go 64-bit.

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:50:37 pm »
How is getting rid of Win32 going to "kill" Steam?  Last time I checked, Steam also runs on OSX and Linux.  They even have their own Debian-based OS.  Steam will go on.  Also, they can finally join the 21st century of computing and go 64-bit.

As they say in The Princess Bride, it wouldn't be all dead, but mostly dead.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:22:13 pm »
I have no idea what Microsoft have in mind as far as Steam goes, but

a) Microsoft can't do away with backwards compatibility .. they could close their security holes tomorrow if they could but then 9 out of ten Windows apps would stop working .. imagine the outcry.
(it's not just games that use these API's)

and

b) If Microsoft want to get into an all out OS war with the largest game store on the planet, they'll loose, and Linux will win .. Gamers want games, the OS is secondary, and game houses develop for the biggest gamer market not the biggest OS market.

If this is Microsofts intention, I can see it being another in a long line of foot shooting

@scifidude79

Win32 (in this context) is an API, they're not talking specifically about 32bit/64bit .. there's no Win64 API, Win32 was evolved to include 64bit calls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_API
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:37:47 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 11:12:29 pm »
Eh, whatever.  My knowledge of Windows is fading to a distant memory as time goes by.  I run Peppermint and Android daily and Windows never, so I don't really care about Win32.

However, my point about OSX and Linux is still valid. Steam works for both.  Given an option of being able to run some of their libraries of games VS being able to run none of it is a no brainer for gamers.  We want games.  We will have games.  Also, a number of Steam games work with WINE.  Alienating gamers, probably M$'s number one customers, is just plain stupid.

Right now, there is no reason for Windows gamers (or software users in general) to switch, nor is there a reason for developers to support Linux.  Doing away with Win32 would provide both, so M$ would just be cutting their own legs off if they did it.  Not that anything they do surprises me, but they would have to be the biggest morons on the planet to do away with Win32.

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 12:30:31 am »
However, my point about OSX and Linux is still valid. Steam works for both.  Given an option of being able to run some of their libraries of games VS being able to run none of it is a no brainer for gamers.  We want games.  We will have games.  Also, a number of Steam games work with WINE.  Alienating gamers, probably M$'s number one customers, is just plain stupid.

Right now, there is no reason for Windows gamers (or software users in general) to switch, nor is there a reason for developers to support Linux.  Doing away with Win32 would provide both, so M$ would just be cutting their own legs off if they did it.  Not that anything they do surprises me, but they would have to be the biggest morons on the planet to do away with Win32.

Hear hear!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:36:22 am »
they would have to be the biggest morons on the planet to do away with Win32.

Okay I'm beginning to see the guys point, maybe they **will** do it.....
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:33 am »

You and me both, brother.  I think when Bill Gates "stepped down," he took all the brains with him.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 12:26:54 pm »

And, Sweeney stated that MS is already trying to stop Steam from working on winders (short of the nuclear option).

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 12:29:27 pm »
I think when Bill Gates "stepped down," he took all the brains with him.

Agreed !

In the old days, Gates would have simply made Steam a deal they couldn't refuse, and bought them out.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 01:30:26 pm »
Yeah, Valve CEO Gabe Newell wakes up one morning with a pixilated horse head in his bed. :))  Though, it may have been hard for them to have struck any deal with him, given that he's a former M$ employee.  Though, the fact that he's a former employee and that his game platform is the most popular on the planet is probably like a giant thorn in Microshaft's side.

Still, if M$ is really stupid enough to try to stop Steam from working on Windows, then they really have gone off the deep end.  On the other hand, nothing but good things can come from this for Linux.  Steam possibly not working with Win8 is what got Gabe Newell to look at Linux in the first place.  He even got some game developers to go with him.  However, it works OK (I guess) on Win8 and Win10, so things have kind of stalled a bit in that area.  Like I said, the "if we don't need to do it" mentality.  However, if they can confirm that M$ is going to intentionally block Steam from working on Windblows, I see renewed interest coming our way.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:33:09 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 03:56:44 pm »
Relevant:

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 05:44:11 pm »
Aaargh!!! .. pet hate time again....

People who think they can use any clickbait title they like as long as they add a question mark at the end >:(

"Windows 10 will sabotage Steam" is a statement, it doesn't become a question just because you tack a question mark on the end ::)

"Will Windows 10 sabotage Steam ?" is a question :P

Peppermint overtakes Mint, Ubuntu, and Redhat to become most popular distro ever?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:47:49 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec