Choose style:

Author Topic: Where have I been?  (Read 573 times)

Offline tppthpthp

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 & 7
Where have I been?
« on: July 20, 2016, 11:37:40 am »
Ok, disclaimer first. I work in a "windows" world.......so what I'm about to say may sound strange. But please keep in mind, I've never really considered myself a serious coder. I use Excel cell formulas, VBA, SQL, etc ..... All those things you need to do a data analyst job when working in a windows world.
Also, My knowledge of coding has been mostly self taught. So I apologize upfront for using incorrect terminology and please correct me if my interpretation is incorrect......

I was just playing around with Conky. All I was trying to do was simply to get it to work.
Then I read a really good user tutorial (thank you 10i) and got it working.
Then I thought I would take a closer look at the theme text file.

Here's where it got interesting.
My first experience with web coding goes back 20 years ago. In fact when I first started to learn HTML, Netscape was the default browser. And at that time I started playing with a scripting language called livewire. So you can imagine my surprise at what I found in the text file! And based on what I've seen, I'm assuming jquery is used also...

I've been using various distros of linux for several years but I've never really dug very deep into what makes them work .. Hence the title of this subject.

I was absolutely giddy when I realized that I could modify/edit/willfully destroy/create a conky theme! Very likely NOT create a good or pretty theme, but quite frankly I thought there would be no way I could understand the code.
May I ask how much is HTML/javascript/CSS used in the front end?

Terribly sorry for the rambling but this is quite exciting for me.

tppthpthp aka: "bob"

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Where have I been?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 12:52:26 pm »
Terribly sorry for the rambling but this is quite exciting for me.

Sorry !  When I read you were dabbling with Conky (in another thread) I thought I should warn you about how additive it is.

Conky is pretty much an open book, and the possibilities are endless.  Wait until you start designing LUA modules.   :D

LUA is the best bang for the buck IMO but, take it slow and don't drive yourself mad.  Conky has that affect on ppl.

Since you're hooked, you might find this thread interesting:  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771033

Offline tppthpthp

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 & 7
Re: Where have I been?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 01:12:23 pm »
LUA is the best bang for the buck IMO but, take it slow and don't drive yourself mad.  Conky has that affect on ppl.

Since you're hooked, you might find this thread interesting:  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771033

Thank You! I'll check it out. You are definitely correct about it being addictive. I just blew thru my lunch hour simply tinkering.
I did notice that "rings" aren't appearing on a couple of the themes. From what I seen so far, LUA is where I need to start.
tppthpthp aka: "bob"