Choose style:

Author Topic: Understanding the differences between CyanogenMod, Cyanogen OS & Cyanogen, Inc.  (Read 2855 times)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
No carrier is going to offer/support an Ubuntu phone. However if you just buy the phone and get a SIM-only deal (assuming it's got the right radios for the US) it should work, but you'd be on your own with it.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Thank you, murraymint,

I wonder how this would work with the pay-as-you-go carriers. :-\   Right now mrs.perknh and I use a pay-as-you-go carrier called Boost --which runs off of Sprint towers.  Everything with Boost is CDMA --no GSM at all.  I'm thinking if Ubuntu phones are coming out of Europe, they probably run off of GSM only.  Maybe StraightTalk, which supports both CDMA and GSM phones might support an Ubuntu phone --but I doubt it.

This is a homework question for me now.  Somebody's got to be running an Ubuntu phone off of some carrier somewhere in the United States.  I can't imagine that nobody is doing it.  I suspect it would be off of some tiny carrier that piggybacks off of some larger carrier's tower.  What would be even better, would be if Ubuntu showed Android users how to flash Android phones to run Ubuntu instead of Android.  That would be better than flashing one's phone with CyanogenMod. 

Cyanogen, it seems to me, is on its way out.  I'm beginning to figure out the mobile phone/consumer paradigm here, and it's pretty simple.  It's waste, waste, and more waste.  You buy a phone and then trash it in a couple of years after the kernel becomes too dated.  That's it.  The whole model is based on hype and consumption --nothing more.  If you buy an expensive phone, your kernel will receive more updates than if you buy a less expensive phone --and maybe one or two more kernel upgrades at best.  IMO, it's a racket.

perknh

(Off topic) My recent experience as a smartphone customer:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Why do I participate in this racket if I hate this model so much?  Because this is the only way my wife gets real time, affordable, communication between herself and our family members in Latin America by using Facebook messenger and WhatsApp.  That's why I play this game.

This year I got my wife a phablet for Christmas --an Android LG Stylo 2, running Marshmallow, for $60.  The sale lasted for only four hours at BestBuy.  Then it was delivered to us by mail --the package ending in below freezing temperatures the entire night. (We were both home at the time of the delivery --no doorbell ring, we're certain of it.)  When we charged the phone, we had no green light signifying that the batter was charged.  I called Boost as was told that the phone should have a green light.  So we return the phone and exchange the phone, bring the new one home and charge it.  Guess what?  No green light!  Now I set mrs.perknh with a phone plan,  I'm between the Boost representative and my wife, speaking enough Spanish to explain the plan to my wife.  The man, from El Salvador, does NOT correct me when I'm explaining the plan to her.  I go online hours later at midnight.  Guess what?  The plan I explained to her no longer exists.  It was removed before the holiday season began. 

Next morning, I call Boost again --this time to the Philippines.  I tell the guy I'm tired, and I want the other plan that no longer exists --the plan that I was told last summer would never go away.   I ask him to talk to his supervisor, who then talked to her supervisor.  Supposedly the decent plan is programmed to kick in for my wife next month --we'll see.  I was told I'm one of Boost's best (longest remaining) customers EVER --which I believe.

I hate the smartphone business --I really do.
[close]

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Here's what someone says on one of the Ubuntu places:

Does Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu phone work in United States? Can i sign up with att or verizon or?

I have the phone and tried using it on all major usa wireless operators. trying to activate on sprint or verizon based MVNO's will result in invalid IMEI error. It works fine with H2O an ATT based MVNO and I even got a 4g connection with them. I was also able to activate it on TPO a t-mobile based MVNO and got 3g. Due to not supporting all the bands used by these carriers coverage is much worse then with my Nexus 5 on the same networks.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/768695/does-meizu-pro-5-ubuntu-phone-work-in-united-states-can-i-sign-up-with-att-or-v

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Right now mrs.perknh and I use a pay-as-you-go carrier called Boost --which runs off of Sprint towers.  Everything with Boost is CDMA --no GSM at all. 

Heh !  I've been using Boost Mobile since their 'drug dealer' days, hence the name.  Remember the hip-hop concerts ? ;D

I carried 4 flip-phones initially, but I've cut back to 3.  That's all I need, these days.

Were you 'grandfathered in' on your rates ?

I'm only paying $10 USD per phone, every 90 days, or $3.33 USD per phone, per month.  Can't beat that deal !

I figure, sooner or later, they'll do away with that service, and I'll be forced to move to a 'smartie'.  Guess I'll decide which direction to take, when they pull the carpet out from underneath me.

Anyway, it's been fun, so far ! 

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hello VinDSL,

Yeah, I brought a Sprint flip phone over to Boost.  On that phone I pay $5 a month, but because I switched a number from Boost's iDEN days to a CDMA phone, I pay 20 cents a minute (as opposed 10 cents) on that phone.  I hope you still have the 10 cents a minute deal.  VinDSL, I think you too can pay $5.00 a month now if you want.

On my "regular" Boost phone.  I registered my credit card (in order to get the five dollar discount), and then I pay per month month with a boost card.  That way I pay $25 a month. (plus 75 cents for a new federal tax)  mrsperk's smart phone is be "grandfathered" into an older plan 2 GBs of 4 GB high-speed data per month, to be bumped up ever 6 months with another GB of 4 GBs of high-speed data after 6 consecutive on-time payments --hence, another credit card registration.  Her monthly bill will be $30 per month --plus the federal charge.  This plan maxes out at 5 GBs of high-speed data, or 18 months of on-time payments.  I had had that plan myself this last summer until I realized how much I hate smart phones.

VinDSL, if they ever try to force us to move to "smarties", we'll have to check out murraymint's info.  We can try our luck at an Ubuntu phone with the company called H20 Wireless.

Also, for anyone interested, there's a new Android ROM in development called Lineage.  I take no credit for this info, however.  One of our highly-esteemed Trusted Users shared that link with me in spirit of the holidays.  He is following this thread for fun.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Why the **** do they have to make mobile plans so complex ::)

Do you reckon it's so you can never compare "like for like" between providers/carriers,  so are never quite sure if you're getting a good deal or not ? .. or maybe to make it look like there's choice/competition where there really isn't any ?

or am I just a cynical old git ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile

Do you reckon it's so you can never compare "like for like" between providers/carriers,  so are never quite sure if you're getting a good deal or not ? .. or maybe to make it look like there's choice/competition where there really isn't any ?

That's it!  ;)

Nope!  It's a no-win game for the end user.  IF this phone hangs in there, and IF our provider really does give her a much better "grandfathered" plan next month, I try to have her stay with this phone and plan as long as she can.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll be able to mod the phone with Lineage in a couple of years. (Forget about Cyanogenmod.)  No, you're not being cynical.  You're just saying it how it is.  The smartphone business  --phones, plans, and all-- is one great big giant racket.

Thanks, PCNetSpec.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
The company which wanted to 'put a bullet in Google's head' is dead

By Manish Singh, Mashable's senior correspondent in India

http://mashable.com/2016/12/26/cyanogen-cygnmod-dead/

P.S.

I hope no one here has a OnePlus One smartphone.

More concerning, however, is that many users of the OnePlus One smartphone who are on Cyanogen Inc’s commercial operating system won't be receiving further updates. OnePlus declined to comment.  --Manish Singh

&

The Company That Was Supposed to Be a Google-Killer Has Called It Quits

By David Z. Morris for Fortune

http://fortune.com/2016/12/26/cyanogen-google-android/
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 02:50:51 pm by perknh »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin

USA's #CozyCronyRegulatoryEnvironment ensure no customer can actually figure out what the cheapest cellular/mobie phone is in the US market. Relegating all users to only being able to compare plan features, which they've shown they're willing to spend extra dollars on.  Oh & yeah, we're both cynical old gits  8)

CyanogenMod, Cyanogen OS & Cyanogen, Inc. were all the rage on the old Palm Pre & WebOS forums as palmOS was abandoned by HP.... It was a much better operating system than android, apple & windows, but was slowly killed off by underpowered devices with virtually no battery life. Cyanogen added to the life of the devices.

One might suspect MS & HP of once again killing off business partners competitors with "partnering kindness"
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
One might suspect MS & HP of once again killing off business partners competitors with "partnering kindness"[/color]

That's a good way of putting it!  ;)