Choose style:

Author Topic: Understanding the differences between CyanogenMod, Cyanogen OS & Cyanogen, Inc.  (Read 3099 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Understanding the differences between CyanogenMod, Cyanogen OS & Cyanogen, Inc.

by: TEAM AA

http://www.androidauthority.com/cyanogenmod-cyanogen-os-differences-702198/

I'm posting this for those of us here who are still trying to wrap their heads around this subject.  I've always had mixed feelings about Android, but I'm liking what I'm seeing about CyanogenMod.  My Android phone is long out of warranty, and it's now forever stuck with KItKat as its OS.  Without bricking my phone, I'd like it to have an up-to-date kernel, and be free from its insufferable bloatware.  CyanogenMod looks promising for dealing with both of these issues. 

Thank goodness for open source software.  :)

P.S.

While I'm at it, I am in the market for a good tutorial on installing CyanogenMod to my phone.  (It does look to me like The Android Guy, on YouTube, really knows his stuff.)

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
And now that I've discovered CyanogenMod, I read this.  ::)

Cyanogen hit by big layoffs, may refocus on apps

by Michael H. for PhoneArena.com

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Cyanogen-hit-by-big-layoffs-may-refocus-on-apps_id83461

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Hi perknh, welcome back :)

That Cyanogenmod looks pretty cool. It's a pity I bought an obscure Chinese-made Android phone that nobody in the English-speaking world has ever heard of. I doubt it'll ever get a special Cyanogenmod ROM for it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
And now that I've discovered CyanogenMod, I read this.  ::)

Cyanogen hit by big layoffs, may refocus on apps

by Michael H. for PhoneArena.com

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Cyanogen-hit-by-big-layoffs-may-refocus-on-apps_id83461

Well didn't they partner up with Microsoft ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Thanks for the link! I ordered a new phone (OnePlus Three) which comes with a ROM I've never used before. OxygenOS, based on Android marshmallow. I have a feeling it will work nicely but on the off chance it doesn't I too might check out Cyanogen. Keep us updated on your progress.  :)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hi perknh, welcome back :)

That Cyanogenmod looks pretty cool. It's a pity I bought an obscure Chinese-made Android phone that nobody in the English-speaking world has ever heard of. I doubt it'll ever get a special Cyanogenmod ROM for it.

Thank you, murraymint.  It's good be back.  Yes, the Cyanogenmod does look cool, but without their installer, I having one difficult time installing it to my smartphone --which I've only had up and running for about a week.  I need to root the thing, and this is not proving itself to be as easy as it sounds.  Hopefully, I won't have to unlock it too.  But Cyanogenmod is great idea.  I'll be plugging away at this project little by little.  I want to run Marshmallow --not KitKat!

By the way, if you've got a Huawei phone, murraymint, you may have hit the jackpot.  Although Samsung may not like Huawei much, I hear that Huawei makes excellent phones.  ;)

Yes.  :(

WE WANT TO BE OPEN! LET'S DITCH GOOGLE AND GO TO... MICROSOFT? —
Cyanogen partners with Microsoft to integrate Bing, other MS services
Cyanogen plans Google-less OS, and Microsoft helps fill in some of the blanks.

BY RON AMADEO for Ars Technica - 4/16/2015

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/cyanogen-partners-with-microsoft-to-integrate-bing-other-ms-services/

and that partnership apparently hasn't proven itself to be so good for Cyanogen :

STILL WAITING FOR YOU TO KILL GOOGLE —
Cyanogen Inc. reportedly fires OS development arm, switches to apps
What happens to an Android OS company when it stops developing an Android OS?

RON AMADEO for Ars Technica - 7/22/2016

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/report-cyanogen-inc-to-layoff-20-of-workers-may-pivot-to-app-development/

Thanks for the link! I ordered a new phone (OnePlus Three) which comes with a ROM I've never used before. OxygenOS, based on Android marshmallow. I have a feeling it will work nicely but on the off chance it doesn't I too might check out Cyanogen. Keep us updated on your progress.  :)

Sounds great, Razznak.  I hope your new phone and OS works out well for you.  :)

This is the first time I've heard about OxygenOS.

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9

By the way, if you've got a Huawei phone, murraymint, you may have hit the jackpot.  Although Samsung may not like Huawei much, I hear that Huawei makes excellent phones.

Unfortunately not. It's one you REALLY won't have heard of. It was pretty good value for what I paid for it though.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
@murraymint

If you can unlock it and root it, you've done well for yourself.

@Razznak

CyanogenMod 13 Nightlies Now Available for the OnePlus 3

By Alexander Maxham for Android Headlines

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/07/cyanogenmod-13-nightlies-now-available-oneplus-3.html

And for anyone interested in this topic:

Steve Kondik reassures community CyanogenMod is here to stay, calls "app pivot" untrue

By David Ruddock for Android Police

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07/25/steve-kondik-reassures-community-cyanogenmod-is-here-to-say-calls-app-pivot-untrue/

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
Just read through that link, I'll definitely give CyanogenMod 13 nightly a look. Though I'm not sure what the "nightly" means. He said there are likely plenty of things broken, does nightly mean it's like a beta?

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hello Razznak,

I'd think you'd have less of a nuisance with it if you went for stable Marshmallow image.  It sounds to me as if nightly is updated daily whereas stable would only be updated when a stable update is required.

For the record, I lose phone support if I root my phone and install the CyanogenMod ROM --and right now I need phone support.  I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and I can't even call my wife from speed dial.  That's how poorly my phone is working.  Of course, on the other hand, if I put CyanogenMod onto my phone, maybe the darn thing might begin working better than it is right now.  I don't know.  :-\

In the US, Sprint phones are locked and unrooted --and there is no SIM card.  These things are a real nuisance to modify.  They remind me a lot of Windows computers --even coming with bloatware galore.   ::)

The process of installing CyanogenMod, so I've heard, can be a frustrating experience.  Be careful if you do this, but I hear the rewards are worth if it if you do so.

Here are some pros and cons of "moding" worth considering before you do so:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Why_Mod%3F

perknh

PS

There is NO CyanogenMod installer any longer, but this fellow here, Marques Bownlee, knows a lot about CyanogenMod, and he does a good job explaining it.  Even if this video is a bit dated, it may be worth listening to first.  Please keep us up to date with whatever you decide to do.  This is very interesting stuff. ;)

The New Cyanogenmod!

By Marques Bownlee

Offline Razznak

• View Profile
Hey, I have the Galaxy S3 :) It is indeed worthy of an upgrade.

I agree it's risky to root a phone. I plan on playing around with that on my S3 once my new phone comes, so I'm not relying on it if I do brick it.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile

Microsoft and Cyanogen: What does this partnership mean to Google and Android?

By Jack Wallen  | May 4, 2015, 6:17 AM PST

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-and-cyanogen-what-does-this-partnership-mean-to-google-and-android/

I have to agree with Marques Bownlee (three posts back) and Jack Wallen here:  Ease of installation would be the necessary game changer for Android users to begin using CyanogenMod.*  And so far, from what I can, this just isn't happening.  When Marques Brownlee said in his YouTube video that trying to install CyanogenMod, or any "mod", to one's phone right now is a "nightmare", Marques was NOT understating a thing. 

I'm now watching what Cyonogen does from a distance.  For the time being I've tossed Smart Launcher onto my phone for ease of use.  I not up for dealing with the real possibility of a bricked phone just yet!  ;)

* I don't see how partnering with Microsoft has proven itself to be helpful for Cyanogen at all.

P.S.

Maybe the best article I've read to date explaining the history of Cyanogenmod:

Wannabe Google Assassin Cyanogen Runs Out Of Bullets
Cyanogen once said that it would put a “bullet through Google’s head.” Just over a year later, the company is laying off 20% of its staff.

By Leo Sun (TMFSunLion) for The Motley Fool

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/07/28/googles-wannabe-assassin-cyanogen-runs-out-of-bull.aspx

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:17:36 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I'm glad I began watching this company from a distance.  Its future doesn't look very bright --and, at one time, I was so hopeful that Cyanogenmod would be the way go in order to get a more vanilla Android system on to a smartphone.  Boy, was I wrong about that.  I've also noticed that Marques Bownlee has gone quiet on Cyanogen and Cyanogenmod too.  The enthusiasm for Cyanogen and Cyanogenmod is gone. :-X

Cyanogen finds another way to flail by shutting down all services Dec 31st

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/24/14074496/cyanogen-flail-shutting-down-services
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:10:53 pm by perknh »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
I'd rather get off Android altogether and get onboard with Ubuntu Touch, ok it doesn't have the all singing all dancing apps available in the play store but it can make phone calls it can text message and take the odd photo which sums up everything I want in a smartphone. and it's Linux in the true sense of the word

I don't feel confident flashing a phone so I tried to buy one a while ago but couldn't get one for love nor money but nonetheless I fully intend my next phone to be running Ubuntu

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Hello emegra,

If I were to go with a smartphone, I'd prefer going with Ubuntu too --not Android.  However, I haven't seen, or heard, of any carriers in the US supporting Ubuntu phones at all --not one.  I'm not even sure if there's a market, or a carrier, here for Ubuntu phones at all.  :-\

perknh