Choose style:

Author Topic: post-splash-screen install problem  (Read 3298 times)

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 & 7
post-splash-screen install problem
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:29:19 pm »
On installing Peppermint OS 7 on a brand new system, I can get to the "Starting Up..." splash screen and everything is fine.  However, as soon as the dialogue boots from there, I get major problems with a scrambled screen output.  I can see that everything is happening as normal behind the screen (mouse is moving, dialogue boxes are popping up) but there is no way to see past the scrambled image.  Does anyone have advice?  Is there a way to install in some kind of GPU-stripped-down mode, which would then allow me to fix the settings later?  Other advice?  This is a brand new Gigabyte system i3 2.1GHz, 16GB RAM 128 mSATA HD, etc.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: post-splash-screen install problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:49:44 pm »
So Peppermint has finished installing .. it's on first boot where the graphics become scrambled ?

I take it it was fine running from a LiveUSB after selecting "Try Peppermint" ?

Can you boot the LiveUSB and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:52 am »
No, I have not made it through the install or into the LiveUSB mode without these errors.  I get the initial menu (Try Peppermint, Install Peppermint, Memory Test, etc) well and fine, and then the "Starting Up...." screen comes on for a a few moments, and then the video error kicks in.

So, unhappily, I can not get LiveUSB (via Try Peppermint) or the Install Peppermint post splash-screen dialogue to display without these screen errors, and thus can not post the inxi -F output.  O can tell, from be behaviour of the colour blocks, that LiveUSB boots, but there is no way to properly see it, or paste it to somewhere that I could report it. 

My thoughts were that perhaps I could edit the install (or LiveUSB) boot command somehow to restrict whatever graphic setting was kicking in past the Starting Up... screen, (perhaps staying in some kind of low-res mode?) and then working through whatever the issue is from there.

Thanks for your help and interest!  I could take a video of what happens if anyone thinks that might help!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:41:33 am »
When you get to the "Try Peppermint/Install Peppermint" screen, hit the "Tab" key

You should see some white writing at the bottom of the screen that ends with:-

quiet splash --

Change that so it ends with:-

quiet splash nomodeset

and hit enter to boot.

If that doesn't work, try making it end with:-

quiet splash vga=791

and hit enter to boot.

WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 10:57:57 am »
Thanks for these good suggestions, I had hoped that they would work.  Alas, I get the very same result.  I have posted a video here to demonstrate the behaviour.  Every combination I try, I get the same result.  I have also tried swapping out the memory (thinking perhaps a bad stick might be contributing), but to no avail.  Any other thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:14:58 pm »
Oh, cool !  A Gigabyte Brix xi3 -- at least that's what I picked up using the 'closed caption' feature on YT.

Is this a GIGABYTE GB-BXi3-4010 ?  n/m.  The specs are on YT - it's a Gigabyte GB-BXi3H-5010.  That narrows it down  8)

My first thought was, have you tried using a different monitor/display ?  Looks like the vertical/horizontal signals are out of sync with the monitor.

Also, what kind of video output are you using ?  MiniDP,  HDMI, VGA ?

Sorry for asking rudimentary questions, but I've never seen one of these in action, until I watched your vid.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 05:29:05 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:28:26 pm »
Thanks , great questions.  It is in fact a GB-BXi3-5010-BW.  I bought the 4010 last year and run Peppermint 6 on it (primarily as my Plex server) flawlessly.  Thought I'd upgrade the family's computer with the 5010-BW running Peppermint 7, but have hit this wall.

I have tried it on three different monitors, using miniDP, HDMI, and miniDP-VGA dongle.  They all have the same behaviour.
Thanks in advnace for any further suggestions/thoughts.  What really puzzles me is why the Peppermint splash screens and 'Starting Up... / Shutting Down...' screen look flawless, but the actual GUI doesn't work.  There must be a setting in there somewhere, I'm guessing...

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 05:32:09 pm »
What really puzzles me is why the Peppermint splash screens and 'Starting Up... / Shutting Down...' screen look flawless, but the actual GUI doesn't work.  There must be a setting in there somewhere, I'm guessing...

My thoughts exactly - I was about to post that when I read your reply.  :)

Plymouth works fine on startup and shutdown, but the display goes crazy on the desktop ...

I assume you've consulted Dr. Google on this, right ?

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 05:46:10 pm »
I have indeed, the wisdom of Google points me to checking for dud memory (memory is fine) or perhaps a dud GPU -- but why would the display work well sometimes and not others.  Here's an interesting thing.  I tried the same process with Mini Cinnamon (18) and the msot recent Unbuntu desktop release, I got the very same behaviour.  Perhaps there is much shared code so the setup is the same, I'm not sure.  I will try with Chromium OS and see what happens.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:13:33 pm »
Is this the model
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5324#ov
and is the graphics spec right .. intel HD-5500 ?

If I had to take a **guess** I'd say it's something to do with the USB3.0 ports (but it IS a guess) .. still googling for additional info

Maybe you can you try the Peppermint 7 RC release:

Peppermint 7 (64bit)
https://peppermintos.info/rc/Peppermint-7-20160520-amd64.iso
md5 = 3039129e49dbb086656df4f5a81777c2

Peppermint 7 (32bit)
https://peppermintos.info/rc/Peppermint-7-20160520-i386.iso
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:23:27 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »
Close.  This is the model:  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5412#ov.  And yes, it has the Intel HD5500 onboard GUI.  I have looked through the BIOS settings, but there is nothing there for me to do with respect to the graphics adapter. I will certainly give the 7 RC a try.  (fingers crossed...)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:25:22 pm by bthom »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 07:25:47 pm »
Try the earlier Peppermint 7 release candidate .. links in my last posting

Whilst i look for more info.

[EDIT]

How are you connecting your monitor .. HDMI or Display Port ?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:28:44 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 07:42:00 pm »
I have tried several options to connect the monitor -- via HDMI, via miniDP, and via a miniDP-VGA adapter.  I have done these on three different monitors.  All options exhibited the exact same behaviour. 

Does there happen to be a .torrent file for the earlier release candidate, as my connection it saying it will take about 9 hours to download via HTTP.  Thanks again for your interest in this problem, I hope we solve it and leave a good record for others!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:28 pm »
No, no torrent as there'd be nobody sharing it anyway .. this is the first time I've made the RC links public

Have you tried a different USB stick ?

And are there any settings in the BIOS for USB ?

I don't suppose you have another PC you could connect the Brix HDD/SSD to .. then install Peppermint 7 .. then move the drive back to the Brix ?

The other PC would also need to be UEFI (unless you use Legacy BIOS mode) on the Brix
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:53:13 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline bthom

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 09:27:11 pm »
Well, that was a great idea to get Peppermint OS 7 on the drive by installing it on another machine, taking the USB out of the equation.  I did exactly that (taking the drive to my 4010 downstairs), and the install went perfectly smoothly.  I brought it back to the 5010-BN and booted.  The result:  the exact same problem, with the grublist and splash screen working well, and the booted OS not working at all.  Here is the video of what happens .  It is interesting to see the mouse cursor look perfect through the whole thing.

So, at my wits end, I've initiated a request for an RMA for my new device, I think my best theory is the GPU is a dud.  Either that or there are problems supporting the Intel HD-5500 in this iteration of Peppermint.  Thanks again for your patience with this problem.  Any further thoughts are welcome.