Author Topic: No Sound in Used Mobo(second go on second board)(SOLVED)  (Read 3779 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Re: No Sound in Used Mobo
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 12:11:07 pm »
If we are unable to fix this, would an external sound card fix things for me, including front headphones and rear mic?
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 04:54:27 pm »
As this is obviously a desktop .. couldn't you simply get a cheap PCI sound card ?

OK, (with an active internet connection) can you run this command:
Code: [Select]
cd ~ && wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh --uploadyou should then be presented with a bunch of output that ends with something similar to this:-

Uploading information to www.alsa-project.org ...  Done!

Your ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fc4b5573dd3a50c6da9248934059ea9fd192b2c2

Please inform the person helping you.

Can you post the link (the part in red) back here.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:57:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 06:19:28 pm »
As this is obviously a desktop .. couldn't you simply get a cheap PCI sound card ?

OK, (with an active internet connection) can you run this command:
cd ~ && wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh --uploadyou should then be presented with a bunch of output that ends with something similar to this:-

Uploading information to www.alsa-project.org ...  Done!

Your ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=fc4b5573dd3a50c6da9248934059ea9fd192b2c2

Please inform the person helping you.

Can you post the link (the part in red) back here.

Hi PCNetSec, I am wondering about a PCI sound card, will my front panel headphone jack still be unusable?
Here's the link:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=250fb8cbc836ff7763f6fda4c03966cacd07c7e3

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:15:03 am by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »
Another sound card is not going to fix your existing one, I'm pretty sure, whether it's external or PCI.

Actually I see what you're asking. I'm not sure if you could get one with two outputs and connect your front jack to one of them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:41:12 pm by murraymint »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 11:10:22 am »
Another sound card is not going to fix your existing one, I'm pretty sure, whether it's external or PCI.

Actually I see what you're asking. I'm not sure if you could get one with two outputs and connect your front jack to one of them.

Hi murraymint, I think I understand what your saying. So basically a PCI sound card will give me the rear ports of the card and the front panel ports will remain dead. The advantage will be that I won't be occupying a usb port.

My cousin pointed me to this link, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio, which says that a reconfigure of pulse audio might fix things, so I copied and pasted this;

Ubuntu 13.04/Raring (and later)

rm -r ~/.config/pulse; pulseaudio -k

into an open terminal but it didn't do anything.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:16:34 am by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 11:18:03 am »
According to Google that motherboard has always had audio issues .. even under Windows (but more so in Linux)

We can continue to try figure it out, but it would be a lot easier and no doubt more reliable to just get another PCI soundcard.

Have you tried a Peppermint 7 LiveUSB ? .. the later ALSA version **may** have fixed it.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 11:29:09 am »
According to Google that motherboard has always had audio issues .. even under Windows (but more so in Linux)

We can continue to try figure it out, but it would be a lot easier and no doubt more reliable to just get another PCI soundcard.

Have you tried a Peppermint 7 LiveUSB ? .. the later ALSA version **may** have fixed it.

I think at this point in time, I'm going to install a PCI sound card. If I have any problems getting IT to work I'll come back here and ask for help. Anything I should know about installing it or will it be recognized  automatically?
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 10:51:35 am »
Well this is interesting, I bought an external usb sound device and I don't get any sound out of it either. I guess this board is going back for replacement.
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 12:23:17 pm »
Have you set up the device properly in the Configuration tab of Audio mixer (after clicking on the volume icon in the tray)?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:28 pm »
Have you set up the device properly in the Configuration tab of Audio mixer (after clicking on the volume icon in the tray)?

Hi murraymint, I sent the board back for a replacement. I have the replacement board installed now and I have sound in and sound out. However, the sound in from the rear mic was garbled. I performed the step that PCNETSpec suggested towards the beginning of this post and it did clear it up some, but it's still not sharp like it should be or was on my original board. Here's the information on the replacement board:
albert@albert-desktop ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: albert-desktop Kernel: 3.16.0-77-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Six
Machine:   Mobo: Intel model: DG41RQ version: AAE54511-205
           Bios: Intel version: RQG4110H.86A.0013.2009.1223.1136 date: 12/23/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7400 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2793.00 MHz 2: 2793.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-77-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth2 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:27:0e:39:37:1b
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (29.2% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAKX size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 222G used: 69G (33%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 173 Uptime: 23 min Memory: 552.1/4013.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17
so now I would like some guidance on clearing up the quality of the rear mic input. I have a couple other small problems that I will open different posts to try and fix.
What was I thinking?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: No Sound in Used Mobo(second go on second board)
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 03:50:14 pm »
I don't really understand what could make it "garbled". Have you tried setting the USB device as the input to see if that's any better?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 04:03:15 pm »
Okay, I went to alsamixer and turned down the volume level of the rear mic and that cleared it up a lot, enough for me to call it good.
What was I thinking?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 04:17:02 pm »
I don't really understand what could make it "garbled". Have you tried setting the USB device as the input to see if that's any better?

Hi again murraymint, it was really hard to understand what was being said but I applied this
Okay let's try this....

Open a terminal and run:
sudo pluma /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.confand add a new line at the very end that reads
options snd-hda-intel model=genericsave the file and exit pluma

Now REBOOT

This fixed the garbled part of it and lowering the volume level in alsamixer cleaned it up quite a bit. I'm going to close this post as solved for now even though the actual solution was replacing the motherboard.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 04:18:42 pm »
Cool, glad you found a solution .. I was about to suggest you tried running:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.confthen adding EITHER
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1OR
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=2to the end of the file .. then rebooting to test.
Remember, you can always undo it by removing the line and rebooting

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec