Choose style:

Author Topic: System Restore for Peppermint: Timeshift  (Read 8069 times)

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64bit
Re: System Restore for Peppermint: Timeshift
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 04:41:56 pm »
Well, I have tried and tested it in a fubar situation due to a tweak too far in the pursuit of SPEED and system trim-down (learning curve)
Saved to a 16Gb USB3 flash-drive and also to an external HDD and can confirm they both work.
Don't hold much hope for VM's though.. ;)

Took about 10 mins to restore for the USB flash and a bit quicker for the external HDD (one after the other to test)
The only problem I encountered after restoring was some links/symlinks were broken which were easily repaired within a few minutes.
(my custom links in the XFCE4-Panel but not the defaults)
I just took a snapshot with no other scheduled updates from within the program itself (one off)

Saves a total reconfiguration of your system,
just saying..

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 08:34:08 pm »
I have a few backups, but it doesn't seem to be making anymore. It keeps scytching files and never ends... If i close it with taskmanager it still doesn't let me get a new one running because "it's already open"

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 06:26:03 am »
^ Is there room enough on the target? Did you restart you system?  :-\

If nothing helps you can delete all backups from the Timeshift Interface AND (if it's still there after that) manually remove the "timeshift" folder (location "/timeshift"), restart your machine and see if the problem is solved...
Don't forget to delete it from the (root) trash afterwards!

Greets!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 04:37:40 pm »
New Timeshift version v16.10.6, updated the first post!  8)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 11:21:55 am »
They have also sorted out the NVME problem from previous versions. Working lovely here now

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 11:49:36 am »
^ Thanks for the feedback zebedeeboss, cool that it now also works on your rather special SSD!

I see that Timeshift is now on version 16.11.1 and the missing (Delete) icon has returned... Going to look for new screenshots and if something else needs to be updated in the first post.

Greets!  ;)

EDIT:  Done, updated the first post to reflect the changes in Timeshift 16.11.1  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:25:00 pm by GNULINUX »

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:45 am »
Updated the text and all screenshots in the first post to reflect the important changes for Timeshift v17.2

Greets!  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 09:11:32 am »
Last night I was playing with NoobsLab's Chrome OS and Android themes for Ubuntu and Mint.  After doing so I couldn't get into my Software & Updates program.  (Apparently the themes were unsigned. Why I couldn't get into my Software & Updates program because of that, I do not know --but it wouldn't open for me.)  And, unfortunately, for the umpteen time, I had forgotten to install Timeshift. 

It's installed now, I tell you.  I've got a new installation of Peppermint this morning, and a brand spanking new installation of Timeshift too. ;)

Thank you, GNULINUX.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 10:25:10 am »
Yeah, this will save you a lot of work and give you some peace of mind when tinkering around!

PS: Don't forget to make manual "restore points" and/or configure the Schedule options ...

Greets!  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2017, 12:27:34 pm »
Can it now save backups to another drive (or NAS) ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:07 pm »
^ Yeah (as long as I can remember) to another local (built-in or USB) drive is OK!

Can't test the NAS thing since I don't have one...  :P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 12:45:34 pm »
Okay might give it another look then .. though systemback is currently doing the "snapshot" job

BTW, I've set systemback to do a FULL backup (not set this way by default) of my SSD to an external USB3.0 HDD (formatted as EXT4) .. and damn it's fast, that fast that at first I didn't believe it could possibly have worked, but sure enough it's all there and verified :)

Maybe it's just that I'd never backed up from an SSD over USB3.0 before .. but it surprised the heck outa me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:48:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline calinb

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 08:31:57 pm »
I'm looking at backup methodologies. The Timeshift dev, Teejee, recommends BackInTime for non-system files. From
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html:

TimeShift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.

See:
https://github.com/bit-team/backintime
and
http://backintime.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Despite Teejee's recommendation, It seems to me I could just configure Timeshift to backup my /home directory (and whatever else) in addition to the system files. I don't need major sophistication here but would like to protect myself from self-inflicted system maladies (or maladies related to updates) as well as self inflicted document loss or hard disk failure. Obviously recovery needs vary, depending of the failure. Is it possible to select a system only, non-system only, or both during a restore operation. If it's not easy to independently select from one or the other, because the recovery needs after different kinds of failures are different, then I guess it's probably worth install both Timeshift and BackInTime on my system.

My methodology would also include a bootable Clonezilla USB memory stick, which I've already used to store an image of my new Peppermint 8 system on a external USB ext4 hard disk drive. BackInTime and/or Timeshift backups could be made to the same drive much more quickly and space efficiently than making entirely new Clonezilla images. If I store a final Clonezilla image after I install and setup BackInTime and/or Timeshift, recovery from a hard disk failure should be trivial and fast (my new Pepermint 8 system still has a small disk footprint) and I don't know that I'd ever have a need to make new Clonezilla images after I install and setup the rsync based "time" utilities and run Clonezilla one last time.

Any thoughts and feedback on this strategy is appreciated!

-Cal
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:37:22 pm by calinb »

Offline calinb

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:25 pm »
It looks like a utility called systemback would do the job for me (enable and manage both system and home backups), but development has ceased on the project and there are also an awful lot of bug reports on the dev page (not something you want to see in backup software)!

In reviewing several timeshift tutorials, it also appears that previous version of the program provided more control and options in the restore process than the current version 17.2, which I installed.

Timeshift 17.2 almost supports the simple options I desire (simple management of home directory backup and restore options at both backup AND restore time). The timeshift filters menu is very clunky and I could not find a way to add the entire home directory or even MY home directory (~/) to the backup list. I could toggle them to a "+" in the filters GUI, but when checking the final results using the "Summary" button, I found that the home directory or directories were added for explicit exclusion, rather than inclusion (no "+" mark). I suspect that this is because the default rule to only backup home hidden files and subdirectories is overriding my attempt to add them at this level and there is no way to reorder custom home filter rules ABOVE the default rules (or at least I think something like that behavior is happening).

However, I could successfully add subdirectories within a home folder (Documents, Downloads, Videos, etc.) and the plus mark appeared in the summary. This more tedious entry method should work for me, as long as I remember that files stored directly in my home folder are not backed up. (Only files in subdirectories BELOW ~/ are backed up).

Finally, it would be nice to be able to schedule home backups but be able to deselect them during a restore operation. The latest version of timeshift does not appear to support this level or restore-time control (though previous versions appear to have it). The best workaround I could find for this feature deficiency would be to restore the home backup to another device at restore-time--say my USB backup drive itself. I could then delete the unwanted restored home files without over-writing them on my system. This would add a LOT more time to the restore process, however. Alternatively, manual snapshots could be made with or without home folders and files included or not included, but periodically manually toggling the filter settings and creating snapshots differently configured from the scheduled snapshots is also painstaking and prone to user error.

Given the above shortcomings of timeshift, I guess it does make sense to install backintime alongside timeshift and use both backintime and timeshift together to fully automate backups (after using clonezilla to create a "stake in the ground" image).

It's too bad that systemback development ended, because it can make images too (even bootable live images). Its feature set could be used to replace clonezilla, timeshift, and backintime, but I guess I'll install the full trio of CTB proggies, given that systemback would currently be an unreliable backup choice.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:08:03 pm by calinb »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 12:27:35 am »
Just a note, I attempted to install Timeshift on two different operating systems and on each one I got a note that either the ppa didn't have a release file or the attempt couldn't unlock dpkg files, something like that. I almost panicked because Peppermint 8 was the only system I had Timeshift on with a snapshot created and that's where I needed it. So, to try something I ran sudo apt-get upgrade after sudo apt get update and Timeshift installed okay. Peppermint 8 is back in business!  ::)
What was I thinking?