Author Topic: CPU Temp High(SOLVED)  (Read 2903 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
CPU Temp High(SOLVED)
« on: July 11, 2016, 06:18:15 pm »
Hello Peppermint people, I'm extremely concerned, I randomly checked the machine's stats and found the CPU temp to up around 100 C. At the time I was listening to music on Youtube and surfing the web on Chromium. No other heavy duty processes running. Could this be a kernel issue?
Code: [Select]
albert@albert-desktop ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: albert-desktop Kernel: 3.16.0-76-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Six
Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: G31M-VS2 Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.10 date: 06/23/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1203.00 MHz 2: 1603.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-76-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:25:22:e1:d0:95
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (29.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAKX size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 222G used: 68G (33%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 97.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 176 Uptime: 10:58 Memory: 1583.1/4042.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:05:29 am by alynur »
What was I thinking?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: CPU Temp High
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:35:10 pm »
Hi alynur, has this recently started to happen?  Does the cooling fan come on when the computer is running hot?
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:20:15 pm »
Run:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensorsthen
sudo sensors-detectthen answer YES to everything.

When that's done, reboot

Once rebooted, run:
sensorsand post the output

Is this a laptop or desktop ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:14:02 am »
The maximum working temperature of the E2180 is 73.3 degrees Celsius. Assuming your cooler is working properly, it should never reach that temperature. Intel processors have a REAL temperature sensor baked into the processor (contrary to AMD, which uses an algorithm to estimate the temperature) , and should shutdown when you go over the maximum working temperature.

The temperature you are reporting would/should force a shutdown, or destroy the processor. Basically we have conflicting information here; the reporting system (BIOS) could have a flaw. The first thing you should do is check the cooler.

1. Remove the fan from the heat sink and clean it. Make sure it runs.
2. Take off the heat sink, and clean it. You'll need a vacuum cleaner.
3. Use alcohol or something similar (WD40 does a great job!) to remove ALL remains of the heat sink compound (aka thermal grease) from both the heat sink and the processor.
4. Re-apply new thermal grease. Make sure it is a THIN layer -- too thick and it will insulate the processor from the heat sink.
5. Re-assemble the cooling system and test it.

Below a picture I took a few days ago when I ran into a similar problem while fixing someone's computer. The amount of (insulating) dust was staggering. The thermal grease was hard and crystallized.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:15:41 am by Capivara »
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:23:23 am »
Ditto....

Just had a clients PC in the same condition .. in fact it was worse than that pic, there was a FULL carpet of dust over the heatsink fins (like 3mm of solid felt), so it kept shutting down.

Cleaned out the heatsink and replaced the thermal compound .. sweet as a  (sugar ? .. sure sweeter than a nut)

emptied out a pillow sized bunch of stuffing from the power supply too ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:28:28 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »
Hi guys, I'm on a tablet right now so please bear with me. The cooling fan retainers had cracked and broken apart. I fear the processor is dust. The unit is in the shop. I should know my options shortly. I may end up getting a refurbished unit and just swap out the hard drive with mine. Am I correct to think I can do that and start right up into Peppermint without having to do a fresh install?

Sent from my N92 using Tapatalk

What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 04:59:03 pm »
You should be able to do that .. the only exception might be if you've installed proprietary graphics drivers.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 04:59:12 pm »
Hi guys, I'm on a tablet right now so please bear with me.

While we're taking a break in the action -- and since I live in a dusty, dry, hot environment ...

I challenge anyone to beat this pic (Classic Peppermint Stick added for authenticity)   8)

That's a fully functional Win2k Pro machine -- Arizona Style -- with the cover removed.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 05:02:12 pm »
LOL, love the Peppermint authentication stick :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:51 am »

While we're taking a break in the action -- and since I live in a dusty, dry, hot environment ...

I challenge anyone to beat this pic (Classic Peppermint Stick added for authenticity)   8)

Sorry, I can't beat that... looks like a PC you picked up from a hoarder with 100 cats.  :(
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 04:00:39 am »
Oh I've seen worse .. this is a china clay mining area, everyone drives grey cars so the clay dust doesn't show as much when it rains and it turns back to clay sludge on the cars.

I'm sure you can guess the affect clay dust has on the inside of a PC when it mixes with humid British air

ALL PC's around here look similar to VinDSL's pic once they're about 3 years old .. and then there's the bad ones.

This wasn't something I expected when moving from the heavily industrialised Midlands to the Cornwall countryside, I expected it to be cleaner but hey ho

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 10:04:50 am »
Hi Guys, well the shop told me the mother board was bad which I was sure the cpu was bad, so I bought a used board combo and the unit turns on, yay! But now I have no sound so I'll start a new thread for that. Thanks guys, keep an eye out for the new thread because I do need sound  :D
What was I thinking?