Choose style:

Author Topic: Bulgaria goes Open source.  (Read 2313 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Bulgaria goes Open source.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 12:50:29 am »
It sounds like the NSA wants to spy on Brazil, so they had Microsoft "make them an offer they can't refuse."

Hi scifidude79,

That was an interesting thought, and then I found this from the REUTERS section of VentureBeat:

Microsoft allows Brazil to inspect its source code for ‘back doors’

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/19/microsoft-allows-brazil-to-inspect-its-source-code-for-back-doors/

Whew!  That would certainly allay my fears.  After all, it's not like the OS "reports home" massive amounts of data that contains who knows what, that MS could then just send to the NSA.  Oh, wait....

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 01:38:29 am »
Whew!  That would certainly allay my fears.  After all, it's not like the OS "reports home" massive amounts of data that contains who knows what, that MS could then just send to the NSA.  Oh, wait....

I've heard there's no need for "backdoors" any longer.  What these giant tech companies do now is continue to keep "bugs" alive and well --bugs that never seem to get patched.  Therefore these so-called 'bugs' become de facto backdoors for whatever their calling.  Me, personally, I think a bug-free Windows 10 OS is an oxymoronic phrase.  It will never exist.

Yeah, in the long run the Brazilian people will get screwed by this deal, and a small handful of people, I'm sure, will make a lot of money off of it too.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 09:40:49 am »
I don't know, I know nothing about hacking or exploits.  I just know going back to Microsoft isn't the answer.  And, you can't say it's a financial decision.  "Hey, we were paying nothing for licenses before, let's go back to MS, where we pay less than usual for licenses, but we still pay something."  No, something shady probably happened behind closed doors to make this happen.  And, yes, somebody is definitely making money.  Microsoft, for one.  After all, it's not like they have to charge as much as they do for licenses.  Someone figured out a price to where they still profit but it's more affordable for Brazil than what they normally charge.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 10:30:17 am »
It sounds like the NSA wants to spy on Brazil, so they had Microsoft "make them an offer they can't refuse."

Well, I can see that Microsoft certainly doesn't want to lose Brazil to open source software.  Brazil is a huge market.

,,,their commitment to OpenOffice is definitely questionable.  Why not switch to LibreOffice when it became evident that OpenOffice was dead?

That was an odd decision on the Brazilian government's part.  :-\

I don't know, I know nothing about hacking or exploits. 

I don't know that much about hacking and exploits either.  Bugs are supposed to be unintentional.  My interpretation of this is that when something is called a bug, but is then put within the software code intentionally in order to do some kind of harm or spying, this is either some kind of malware or a hidden backdoor.    Here's something simple to read from Cisco describing the difference between bugs and backdoors for a layperson such as myself.  And here's something from Wikipedia concerning backdoors that goes into more depth on the subject.  Sometimes, and I don't know how often, backdoors are placed into code for legitimate purposes.  Not always, of course, but sometimes.  ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum