Choose style:

Author Topic: How can i reset Menu bar to its default look? [SOLVED]  (Read 2020 times)

Offline avicola

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
How can i reset Menu bar to its default look? [SOLVED]
« on: July 06, 2016, 02:51:13 am »
I messed menu bar so hard and i don't know how to make it look like it looked when i first installed peppermint 7. I read this topic but it didn't helped me (or i am too noob to understand). The menu bar is still messed up.
Here is an terminal with the cmds i used to try and fix it:
Code: [Select]
tramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ xfce4-panel --quit
tramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ xfce4-panel
xfce4-panel: Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
ls -a ~/.config/xfce4/panel
^Ctramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ ls -a ~/.config/xfce4/panel
.   launcher-10  launcher-8  whiskermenu-12.rc
..  launcher-2   launcher-9  whiskermenu-7.rc
tramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ cp -v ~/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf ~/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf.bak
'/home/tramp/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf' -> '/home/tramp/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf.bak'
tramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ cp -vf /etc/xdg/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf ~/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf
'/etc/xdg/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf' -> '/home/tramp/.config/lxsession/Peppermint/desktop.conf'
tramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ mv ~/.config/xfce4/panel ~/.config/xfce4/panel.old
tramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ cp -r /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/panel ~/.config/xfce4/panel
tramp@tramp-desktop ~ $ nohup xfce4-panel
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:25:19 pm by avicola »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: How can i reset Menu bar to its default look?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 03:01:07 am »
Hi avicola, how's it going?  I see you're posting outputs back to the forum using both the Spoiler and the Insert Code functions.  This produces a letterbox effect that makes it very difficult for people to read.  In future, could you please use one or the other.  I've removed the Spoiler for you - many thanks  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 03:07:58 am »
You seem to have missed out this step:

now run
peppermint-logout
and log off/on

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:11:57 am »
Hi avicola,

Can you try to be more specific? When you say:

The menu bar is still messed up.
it is impossible to know what you mean. Is it in the wrong position? Is it missing completely? In other words, what is wrong with it? We cannot see it from here. Maybe you could make a screenshot of it, then upload the screenshot to (for example) postimage.org and finally enter a link to the image in your next post here.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline avicola

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 03:54:34 am »
Hi avicola, how's it going?  I see you're posting outputs back to the forum using both the Spoiler and the Insert Code functions.  This produces a letterbox effect that makes it very difficult for people to read.  In future, could you please use one or the other.  I've removed the Spoiler for you - many thanks  ;).

And i was thinking is better this way to not overload the page. Oky, got it :)

You seem to have missed out this step:

, wich is the default look.

now run
peppermint-logout
and log off/on

I did.

Hi avicola,

Can you try to be more specific? When you say:

The menu bar is still messed up.
it is impossible to know what you mean. Is it in the wrong position? Is it missing completely? In other words, what is wrong with it? We cannot see it from here. Maybe you could make a screenshot of it, then upload the screenshot to (for example) postimage.org and finally enter a link to the image in your next post here.

Regards,

-- Slim

Well, my menu bar right now looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/JQCaTsD.jpg  (the small thing in the right bottom corner)
To change the length and row size of the panel i know, but what i want is to look like this: http://i.imgur.com/TLbuRE5.jpg

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:07:44 am »
Right click on the remains of the panel :).  Select: Panel > Panel Preferences.  In: Measurements select: Length (%):.  Move the slider fully to the right and make sure the: Automatically increase the length box is ticked/checked.  Click on: Close.  I hope this helps  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline avicola

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 04:27:33 am »
Right click on the remains of the panel :).  Select: Panel > Panel Preferences.  In: Measurements select: Length (%):.  Move the slider fully to the right and make sure the: Automatically increase the length box is ticked/checked.  Click on: Close.  I hope this helps  ;).

I'm sorry, it doesn't  :(. What i want is to look like in this picture: http://i.imgur.com/TLbuRE5.jpg. I know how to enter in Panel Preferences to add more panels or to change its length. But i can't find that Peppermint 7 red button for menu in the Add New Items. In the Action Buttons "Suspend" and "Shut Down" functions are grey as in image: http://i.imgur.com/m3rzfMq.jpg. Again :); how i want my menu bar to look is like you just installed Peppermint 7. I hope, the solution, won't be to reinstall Peppermint 7 :(

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 04:52:47 am »
Hi avicola,

I doubt very much that you will need to reinstall Peppermint 7. One thing you can start with is getting the whisker menu icon back to the Peppermint 7 icon.

This should be possible by positioning the mouse pointer over the current whisker menu button and then clicking the button on the right-side of the mouse. You should now see a little pop-up menu with the title (at the top) Whisker Menu. Now click on the item named Properties.

In the next window that appears you should see (in the tab named Appearance) a picture of the currently used icon. Click on that picture and wait (on my laptop I need to wait about 10-12 seconds) until another window appears with the title Select An Icon, where you can look for the Peppermint 7 icon that you wish to use (on my stock setup that is the one named peppermint-settings-panel in the section Uncategorized Icons). If you do not see this icon in the window, click on bar to the right of the section title Select icon from: and select Uncategorized Icons and look for the Peppermint 7 icon. When you find it, select it and then click on the OK button

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 04:55:27 am »
Edit: Never mind, I'm confusing myself now.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:59:29 am by murraymint »

Offline avicola

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 06:07:39 am »
Hi avicola,

I doubt very much that you will need to reinstall Peppermint 7. One thing you can start with is getting the whisker menu icon back to the Peppermint 7 icon.

This should be possible by positioning the mouse pointer over the current whisker menu button and then clicking the button on the right-side of the mouse. You should now see a little pop-up menu with the title (at the top) Whisker Menu. Now click on the item named Properties.

In the next window that appears you should see (in the tab named Appearance) a picture of the currently used icon. Click on that picture and wait (on my laptop I need to wait about 10-12 seconds) until another window appears with the title Select An Icon, where you can look for the Peppermint 7 icon that you wish to use (on my stock setup that is the one named peppermint-settings-panel in the section Uncategorized Icons). If you do not see this icon in the window, click on bar to the right of the section title Select icon from: and select Uncategorized Icons and look for the Peppermint 7 icon. When you find it, select it and then click on the OK button

Regards,

-- Slim

Ok, so far so good. I managed to fix the Peppermint 7 menu, the grey buttons were not functionable. I used this method to fix the buttons:
Okay let's try doing it the graphical way

Right-click the menu button

select "Properties"

select the "Commands" tab

make sure all of these are ticked, and have the right command

All Settings: peppermint-settings-panel
Lock Screen: xflock4
Switch Users: lxsession switch-users
Logout: peppermint-logout
Edit Profile: users-admin

The problem was in commands. They were all ticked but they were not the same. At Switch Users it's still not the same(print) and i can't find this "lxsession switch-users" command. But i won't have more then one user so is fine like this.

Now what i want to know is how to move, the clock for example, to the right corner of the bar and pin it there?

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 06:24:42 am »
It looks like you need to right-click, go to panel preferences > items and add (+) one called Window buttons and (if you haven't already got it) a Separator with Expand ticked in its options.

In the Display tab, make sure automatically increase the length is ticked.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:28:37 am by murraymint »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 08:27:05 am »
Ok, so far so good. I managed to fix the Peppermint 7 menu, the grey buttons were not functionable. I used this method to fix the buttons:

select "Properties"

The problem was in commands. They were all ticked but they were not the same. At Switch Users it's still not the same(print) and i can't find this "lxsession switch-users" command. But i won't have more then one user so is fine like this.

Hi avicola,

Glad to see that progress is being made!  8)

I agree with you that with only one user it is probably not necessary to have the Switch Users button active. By removing the check from its checkbox in the Whisker Menu > Properties > Commands section then you will also not have the inactive button in the menu.

If, however, you wish to have it in the menu and have it active then all you need to do is click in the field to the right of the Switch Users entry, delete the text that is currently there and type in this command into the field:

lxsession switch-users
Then click the Close button and it should now be like the original.

Regards,

-- Slim

P.S. -- Cool: I see that this is my 900th post in the Peppermint Forum!  8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:32:48 am by Slim.Fatz »

Offline avicola

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 12:24:46 pm »
It looks like you need to right-click, go to panel preferences > items and add (+) one called Window buttons and (if you haven't already got it) a Separator with Expand ticked in its options.

In the Display tab, make sure automatically increase the length is ticked.

This is EXACTLY what i wanted to know but didn't knew how to ask for it. Thank you!

select "Properties"

Hi avicola,

Glad to see that progress is being made!  8)

I agree with you that with only one user it is probably not necessary to have the Switch Users button active. By removing the check from its checkbox in the Whisker Menu > Properties > Commands section then you will also not have the inactive button in the menu.

If, however, you wish to have it in the menu and have it active then all you need to do is click in the field to the right of the Switch Users entry, delete the text that is currently there and type in this command into the field:

lxsession switch-users
Then click the Close button and it should now be like the original.

Regards,

-- Slim

P.S. -- Cool: I see that this is my 900th post in the Peppermint Forum!  8)

It is done. Now it looks almoust as i want (http://i.imgur.com/MDXrOTL.jpg). If i need to do somethig else i'll know how, i learned how to adjust this panel now. Thank you and i'll be a pain in the ass again next month when i finish my job in Germany. I realy want to use linux and slowly to say goodbye to windows.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How can i reset Menu bar to its default look? [SOLVED]
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 12:29:05 pm »
Glad you got it sorted to your liking :) Who needs Windoze anyway?  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: How can i reset Menu bar to its default look? [SOLVED]
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
Well done for sticking at it avicola :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec