Author Topic: Calling all netbook users!  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Kyle

• Microshaft cannot compete...
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 (x64)
Calling all netbook users!
« on: July 02, 2016, 08:49:20 am »
Hi everyone! I am looking into purchasing a cheap netbook (a HP Mini 1000 to be exact) to run Peppermint 6 or 7 on and use it for a daily driver, as a replacement for my more powerful laptops. I would be using it for daily activities such as browsing the web, streaming YouTube and using LibreOffice and opening media files (with VLC). Hopefully a netbook can do what I need, I don't need it to be done at blazing speed, though  :D . Does anyone else have a netbook with similar specifications and can share their experience with daily use? It's greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your feedback. Thanks!!!
[] Dell Latitude E6400 []
[] CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 [] RAM: 4GB DDR2 [] HDD: 1TB 5400RPM WD Black []

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Calling all netbook users!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:08:07 am »

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 09:08:56 am »
Hi, Kyle.
I have a little netbook with similar specs and runs Peppermint OS 7 smoothly.
I watch movies on netbook, i have libreoffice installed and  I watch a lot YouTube videos and...Perfect! No problems.
Good luck!  8)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 09:26:02 am »
Hi Kyle,

Although it might be slow, Peppermint should work -- and much better than a bloated Ubuntu! I would suggest that you use the Peppermint 7 32-bit download. For further help, ask back here in the forum.  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 10:08:40 am »
It seems to have a very old processor and it would benefit a lot from a little SSD to replace the hard drive... but if it's REALLY cheap it might be worth it.

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:48:41 pm »
Thanks for all the advice/feedback! I think I am going to go through with the transition to the netbook sometime soon. I will be able to get it for a very fair price so it seems like a fairly viable solution. The RAM upgrade is very cheap coming in at $15-$20 for a name brand (like Crucial, for example) 2GB DDR2 stick.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 05:56:07 pm »
I love my EeePC netbook !

Only reason I quit using it (in public) was because it was rather embarrassing at board meetings, and so forth, sitting next to a guy with a 17" Mac or whatevs.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 05:58:19 pm »
Yeah I can see how it might be embarrassing for a teamster....
(again) :))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:02:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 06:48:24 pm »
LoL !   :D

(again)

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 06:23:16 am »
I love my EeePC netbook !

Only reason I quit using it (in public) was because it was rather embarrassing at board meetings, and so forth, sitting next to a guy with a 17" Mac or whatevs.

That's an interesting netbook! I do like the trackpad, it's very refined compared to other netbooks. Does it run Peppermint well?

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 07:02:58 am »
Does it run Peppermint well?

Runs it fine !

Matter of fact, when I first bought it and installed Peppermint, it was the fastest machine in my house.   ;D

Offline Sokretes

• Seasoned Beginner
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 11:38:02 pm »
Hi everyone! I am looking into purchasing a cheap netbook (a HP Mini 1000 to be exact) to run Peppermint 6 or 7 on and use it for a daily driver, as a replacement for my more powerful laptops. I would be using it for daily activities such as browsing the web, streaming YouTube and using LibreOffice and opening media files (with VLC). Hopefully a netbook can do what I need, I don't need it to be done at blazing speed, though  :D . Does anyone else have a netbook with similar specifications and can share their experience with daily use? It's greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your feedback. Thanks!!!

Hi

I have a netbook (Acer Aspire One D270. Dual Boot Windows 7 Starter Peppermint 7. I have replaced the Toshiba 320gb hard drive with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128gb. It boots faster with the SSD. I also upgraded the Ram from 1gb to 4 gb DDR3 (seeing the 32 bit processor only recognises up to 3.1 gb DDR3 Ram). Yes it does boot faster ..a bit ..but the bottleneck..amongst  other reasons) is the small processor that slows it down.

Running the software you specified, you might find the netbook struggles and I suggest getting a cheap (even second-hand laptop/notebook and installing Peppermint 7 with a lightweight browser like Midori.

Thats my 2cents anyway. Anyone else ??

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 05:52:00 am »
Can't say I've tried PM7 on one, but PM6 used to run brilliantly on my Acer aspire One's (before they eventually died), and they only had 1.5GB RAM and a single core intel Atom N270 CPU

Sure it wasn't a gaming rig, but for average internet use (youtube etc.) and the occasional Libreoffice doc it was fine.

In fact I'll let you into a secret .. half of Peppermint 6 was designed on one of my Aspire Ones (running PM5 at the time) ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:53:58 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Kyle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 07:41:36 am »
Can't say I've tried PM7 on one, but PM6 used to run brilliantly on my Acer aspire One's (before they eventually died), and they only had 1.5GB RAM and a single core intel Atom N270 CPU

Sure it wasn't a gaming rig, but for average internet use (youtube etc.) and the occasional Libreoffice doc it was fine.

In fact I'll let you into a secret .. half of Peppermint 6 was designed on one of my Aspire Ones (running PM5 at the time) ;)

Great to hear! I still haven't made any netbook purchases yet. I might stick with my Dell Latitude E6400 just because it has a bigger screen and I won't have to worry about RAM shortage. It's truly a relief to still see that Peppermint is still continually being optimized for low-end hardware in a world in which new hardware is being released every year. I really owe a big thanks to you (and the whole Peppermint team). Thanks for making low-end machines usable again!  :D

Offline Bloch

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 08:04:02 am »

And...Peppermint 7?  ;)