Choose style:

Author Topic: Distrowatch 7 day stats (26 jUNE 2016)  (Read 1474 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Distrowatch 7 day stats (26 jUNE 2016)
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:24:16 am »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Distrowatch 7 day stats (26 jUNE 2016)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:40:14 am »
Nice !!!

I'm PHX => LAS today. 

Be curious to see where the stats are by day's end ...   8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:55:28 am »
Have a pleasant and safe journey :)

It's cool to see we're out "trending" (whatever that means) Fedora who only released a few days ago too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:59:01 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 09:25:27 am »
"Trending" is where you're the topic of several posts on social media in a short period of time.  (Googled it)  So, it's definitely a good thing, as it means people are talking about Peppermint.  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 10:49:35 am »
Is that just the definition of "trending" as it applies to social media, or how the term is being used on distrowatch specifically ?
(something tells me they're using it differently .. I doubt if they're monitoring social media sites for keywords)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:23:10 am »
It's a broad Internet definition of trending.  I don't know what DW means.  They may have someone who monitors social media for posts about distros.  Or, it may simply mean the attention it's getting on DW.  *shrugs*  Either way, we're still doing better than Fedora.  8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 12:49:03 pm »
I'm as baffled about the difference between

*Trend = Trending page hits
Updated daily

an

*H.P.D = hits per day
Updated daily

as I am by those YouTube reviewers who lately have a "this is NOT a review, it's a usability study" (or similar) disclaimer, right before their "review" .. and they ARE reviews as they pretty much always provide a personal opinion on likes/dislikes .. the definition of review being a "critical appraisal" .. so why all the false disclaimers ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 01:17:13 pm »
as I am by those YouTube reviewers who lately have a "this is NOT a review, it's a usability study" (or similar) disclaimer, right before their "review" .. and they ARE reviews as they pretty much always provide a personal opinion on likes/dislikes .. the definition of review being a "critical appraisal" .. so why all the false disclaimers ?

In my opinion a "review" needs some time. "re" ~ again. So I could do a review of P6 now, view it again and talk about my experience with it.
I can't do a review on P7, because I haven't used it enough.
For me they're more quick overlooks rather than reviews.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 03:28:40 pm »
The definition of "review" is "critical appraisal", so if they are "appraising" it and offering "critique"...  QED.

But it's not so much what they want to call it, I couldn't care less as it IS and will be accepted as a "review" .. I'm baffled WHY they suddenly feel the need to try disclaim ? .. if it's for legal reasons, they'd better look up the definition of "review" as just disclaiming something doesn't automatically let you off the hook.
(otherwise I'm disclaiming it's a slap just before I meet David Cameron)

I'm simply wondering WHY ?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:31:37 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 03:36:24 pm »
Hi
It's probably some new BS Google "Rule" on making YouTube videos and earning Money off them from the revenue stream of the adverts.
What was a Gravy train - if you had the subscribers now seems to have become a corporate battle site with reams of lawyers trawling the internet for "perceived" breach of Copyright and placing a claim with Google for the revenue.
Plenty of example videos of this happening and one particular You Tuber is going OUT OF HIS WAY to infringe copyright so as to make a mockery of the whole process.   If more than 2 people lay claim to the revenue stream NO ONE gets any.  So his way is - If I ain't getting paid - NO ONE IS.
Regards Zeb...

ps If you're gonna do a review "GROW A PAIR" and take the rough with the smooth.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 03:39:19 pm »
+1 the post script :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 03:51:41 pm »
Hi
It's probably some new BS Google "Rule" on making YouTube videos and earning Money off them from the revenue stream of the adverts.
What was a Gravy train - if you had the subscribers now seems to have become a corporate battle site with reams of lawyers trawling the internet for "perceived" breach of Copyright and placing a claim with Google for the revenue.
Plenty of example videos of this happening and one particular You Tuber is going OUT OF HIS WAY to infringe copyright so as to make a mockery of the whole process.   If more than 2 people lay claim to the revenue stream NO ONE gets any.  So his way is - If I ain't getting paid - NO ONE IS.

Well, the claim system is just unfair and messy. If I make a film 3h long and there's something copyrighted in for 5s they get the whole revenue!? I could just claim it back, because now they've 2h 59min 55s of my material.
However it's not like noone gets paid. Google gets the money... And thats probably why this wont change^^

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 04:05:33 pm »
It's a quite simple system and conforms to all the accepted norms .. the winner is the one shown to have the most expensive lawyers, irrespective of the law and morals  ::)

[EDIT]

The rest Google reserve the right to make up as they go...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:12:21 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 11:08:56 pm »
I'm as baffled about the difference between

*Trend = Trending page hits
Updated daily

an

*H.P.D = hits per day
Updated daily

This is not a review | New York New York, Las Vegas

When I checked into the NYNY Hotel earlier today, the air conditioner in my room was turned off.  Fine !  I like it warm.  Last week it was 124 F at my house, if you'll remember.  I'm used to it, okay ?

Anyway, six hours later, I came back from a full day of traveling and meetings with my male appendage dragging in the dirt, and the maid (or whomevs) had turned the air conditioner in the room WFO.  Now, it feels like a !@%^ meat locker in here.  It's gonna take hours for this place to warm up.

To make the situation worse, when I tried to back off the cooling a little, the ^%#! heater came on.  Now, the room smells like a mixture burning human hair and dust mites.

Since I'll be spending a week in this ice house, I'll do a PROPER review at the front desk, in the morning, and you can take that to the bank.  I can make a sailor blush, when I'm in full bloom.

See the difference ?   8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 08:18:32 am »
Nice touch choosing the COOL egg smiley to end with :))

Maybe they saw all your computer kit and figured you needed a climate controlled environment.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:23:53 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec