Choose style:

Author Topic: [SOLVED] PepOS 7 from MultiSystem LiveUSB onto UEFI machine  (Read 1809 times)

Offline hofy

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 10
Hello there,

I was very excited to see the new Pep 7 come out! However, just like the previous distro (6 respin 64bit) it fails to boot from a Multisystem USB. I'm hoping there's a fix, cos I love PeppermintOS and I also love my multisystem USB which pretty much boots almost any other distro, including the Peppermint 6 32-bit.

I have just now disabled windowz fast boot in the power options and will try to boot once again. In the meantime, if anyone has had this issue and managed to solve it please let me know how.

the error is can't find casper/vmlinuz
unaligned pointer 0xc7923008

Uefi mode can be switched on the laptop to legacy bios but that just hangs without displaying an error and i have to hard-reset. secure boot i had to disable, didn't help. I'm able to select an *.efi file that is trusted, but can't seem to find the corresponding file from the Peppermint iso. (haven't tried to unpack manually, just ran the usb installation thru multisystem).

thanks for suggestions!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:21:50 pm by hofy »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: PepOS 7 from MultiSystem LiveUSB onto UEFI machine
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 05:37:32 pm »
Hi hofy
Sorry to hear you are having problems and sorry it might take a while to get a full response as the servers are really busy at the moment serving up the Peppermint ISO's.

I have no experience with MultiSystem USB's so can only suggest burning to a new USB for now to get Peppermint 7 installed.    It will install perfectly OK on UEFI as both my main machine and Laptop are fully UEFI Secure Boot enabled and yes it is best to turn off Windows fast boot as this leaves files locked and open in windows and can sometimes make that whole partition unusable, especially awkward if you are using that as a shared data area.

When it quietens down a bit I am sure the more technically adept guys will reply and help you resolve the Multisystem USB problems you are having.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline hofy

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8, 10
Re: PepOS 7 from MultiSystem LiveUSB onto UEFI machine
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 12:36:18 pm »
nobody had success booting up 64-bit Peppermint with MultiSystem USB? there's gotta be a boot option to fix or something...

edit: yes there is, and it's VERY simple: just edit the boot option where it says casper/vmlinuz and ADD an ".efi" to vmlinuz.

now I'm struggling how to boot. Peppermint went to a different partition on the same harddrive with windoze. chose to install bootloader to mbr.

edit 2: laptop intelligently lets me choose the "ubuntu" bootloader in uefi mode bios, instead of the windows one. of course chainloads like a charm. All ended well, Peppermint 7 runnin on my new nb now :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:20:34 pm by hofy »