Choose style:

Author Topic: [solved] Solus 1.2 - Won't Install for me  (Read 2306 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
[solved] Solus 1.2 - Won't Install for me
« on: June 22, 2016, 03:08:25 am »
edit: With the release of Solus 1.2.0.5 - I can now install it to bare metal.

Hi all
Works perfectly in a VM but try and get to run native...  FAIL.
and despite at least three posts stating it is not working on the latest kit(skylake) on the Solus Forums.   No Solution other than did I use DD option in Rufus.
Blank screen booting UEFI or Normal,  Nomodeset gets you a "whooops" an error has occurred and thrown back to the login prompt.  It also happens with Solus 1.1 as well.
Just goes to prove.. No matter how well it is built / designed...  if the support isn't there...    Thank goodness my main OS is Peppermint  8)
In fairness to the lead dev Ikey - he has been sick of late but has also been active on the forum in other posts.   Waits patiently....
Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 02:22:02 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Solus 1.2 - Not so bright
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:36:42 am »
It's great that you're reporting issues on the Solus forum...

Ikey's a great guy, and what he's attempting (new integrated DE including packaging system) from scratch is a MASSIVE task, I'm hugely impressed with what he's managed in the time frame.

That said I don't think it's *quite* there yet but it's getting there fast, the problem with attempting something of that scale is the pressure you'll be under to release before interest wanes .. he'll currently be doing a balancing act between reliability, feature enhancement, and getting it out for testing/feedback, not a a position I'd like to find myself in, but at the end of the day the whole Linux ecosystem will be richer for it so "more power to him" :)

I'm not saying *you* are doing this, but a lot of people forget that Solus/Budgie is still under MAJOR development so should be treated as such, hiccups should be expected and reported so they can be fixed, this is precisely what Ikey wants :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:08:38 am »
It's great that you're reporting issues on the Solus forum...

Ikey's a great guy, and what he's attempting (new integrated DE including packaging system) from scratch is a MASSIVE task, I'm hugely impressed with what he's managed in the time frame.

That said I don't think it's *quite* there yet but it's getting there fast, the problem with attempting something of that scale is the pressure you'll be under to release before interest wanes .. he'll currently be doing a balancing act between reliability, feature enhancement, and getting it out for testing/feedback, not a a position I'd like to find myself in, but at the end of the day the whole Linux ecosystem will be richer for it so "more power to him" :)

I'm not saying *you* are doing this, but a lot of people forget that Solus/Budgie is still under MAJOR development so should be treated as such, hiccups should be expected and reported so they can be fixed, this is precisely what Ikey wants :)
You're quite right and I have followed Ikey and his work since he left the Linux Mint Debian Team and that is also why I also posted that KDE Neon has the same problem. It won't go to a live screen on this setup.

PEPPERMINT 7 DOES FOLKS

One of the downsides to having the latest and greatest technology... Devs are always needing to play catch up.
As you have experienced - I am quite willing to use my machine(s) as a test bed so that Linux as a whole can improve.
The problem with that is Ikey and Justin are so damned clever, they have forgotten how to "Dumb" down instructions for us mere mortals. I may be too dumb for them to work with  :P :P

and that's another reason why I like Peppermint so much.  No matter your skill level... You WILL get the right support here in words you can understand and broken down into bite size chunks  :)

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:44:14 am »
Yep, I'm seriously proud of our small but friendly and effective community .. more so than the OS .. we're very lucky in having attracted the right people, don't ask me how or why but we have a great bunch of people here :)
(yourself included)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:22 am »
Yep, I'm seriously proud of our small but friendly and effective community .. more so than the OS .. we're very lucky in having attracted the right people, don't ask me how or why but we have a great bunch of people here :)
(yourself included)
Gee, thanks - ya made me Blush

Linux User #565092

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Solus 1.2 - Won't Install for me
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 04:37:34 pm »
" Solus Upgraded to the GNOME 3.20 Stack, Now Powered by Linux Kernel 4.7 "

NEWS RELEASE:  http://goo.gl/FDo8BE   (Aug 8, 2016 20:03 GMT)

After many weeks of hard work, project leader Ikey Doherty finally managed to upgrade the entire GNOME Stack used in Solus from version 3.18 to 3.20, the latest and most advanced one. Therefore, all the graphical applications that are usually distributed as part of the GNOME desktop environment are now from the 3.20.x series.

Another major change in Solus is the implementation of the latest Linux 4.7 kernel, which promises to bring better hardware support and under-the-hood improvements, such as full AMDGPU support, Power Play support, Nvidia GeForce 800M support, complete Maxwell support, C720 trackpad support, as well as USB 3.1 support.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Solus 1.2 - Won't Install for me
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 04:08:46 am »
" Solus Upgraded to the GNOME 3.20 Stack, Now Powered by Linux Kernel 4.7 "

NEWS RELEASE:  http://goo.gl/FDo8BE   (Aug 8, 2016 20:03 GMT)

After many weeks of hard work, project leader Ikey Doherty finally managed to upgrade the entire GNOME Stack used in Solus from version 3.18 to 3.20, the latest and most advanced one. Therefore, all the graphical applications that are usually distributed as part of the GNOME desktop environment are now from the 3.20.x series.

Another major change in Solus is the implementation of the latest Linux 4.7 kernel, which promises to bring better hardware support and under-the-hood improvements, such as full AMDGPU support, Power Play support, Nvidia GeForce 800M support, complete Maxwell support, C720 trackpad support, as well as USB 3.1 support.

Potentially good news - but without a fresh ISO (1.2.1) with all those goodies packed in, a lot of skylake pc's can't install it, you cant get to the live desktop

Linux User #565092

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: [solved] Solus 1.2 - Won't Install for me
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:26:00 am »
OK  we have made progress.

The Live CD now works and I can get to a Desk top. I have also been able to install Solus.   nomodeset and manually edit the relevant Boot OS's grub file as YET ANOTHER DEVELOPER has changed the way their grub file needs to be written in order to boot.

Thankfully I have had enough messing with Manjaro to know how I can fix this simply.

Now I just got to wait for a piece software I use to enter the repo - I got no chance of compiling it myself (Eiskaltdcpp).    Request made but it's gonna be years its so far down the list  :-\

Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 03:32:42 am »
I installed Solus 1.2 about a week ago.  I slung it on an SSD in HP 6930p Elitebook.  The LiveUSB booted up fine and installation was flawless.  I haven't really encounter any operational problems.  The Budgie DE has come along leaps and bounds.  It's really clean and easy to use.  Everything is pretty much self explanatory.  I really like the Raven panel.  I'm now adjusting my thought processes to Ikkie's way of doing things.  He really thinks outside of the box.  More power to him for doing this too  8)

The Linux Desktop in general, needs a damn good shake up.  Over the last couple of years, it's become really stagnant.  The only really notable change, is the implementation of systemd.  I think most people will concur that the jury is still out on whether that's an innovation or not.  The only other distro that pioneers how the desktop functions, is Peppermint with its hybrid system.  Everything else is the same old, same old stuff. 

The Solus repos is still a bit on the bare side.  That's gradually getting more items added though.  Ikkie is very candid how Solus is not a general purpose jack of all trades OS.  It's created very much for the home desktop user.  I really like this approach.  The whole project is tightly focused in one direction.  The repo is going to reflect this with its content type.  This time next year, I reckon Solus will be picking up a lot of users; especially first timers  ;).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:38:13 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:47:16 am »
Hi AndyInMokum
Solus is not a first time Linux user distro.  Simply put - the lack of software choice will give a first time user the wrong impression about linux.
I do agree though with all your other comments about ikey and the DE environment in general - I have followed him for a number of years and always liked what he has put out there.
If he can get a good enough Team behind him to assist with software packaging - Solus will be a force to reckon with.
but for now Peppermint is still No 1
Regards Zeb...

Linux User #565092

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 05:07:02 am »
Hi AndyInMokum
Solus is not a first time Linux user distro.  Simply put - the lack of software choice will give a first time user the wrong impression about linux...
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from with first time users.  Ikkie doesn't want Solus to be thought of as a traditional "distro" though.  He's trying very hard to promote it as a home user/consumer OS.  For example, Solus is not going to be used as a server.  The software will not be in the repo.   Everything is tightly focused to the consumer desktop paradigm.  I really think that it'll be a first stop for a lot of people, who've never used anything other than Windows or Mac.  Especially those that just want a home operating system with a simple and effective interface  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »
I'm trying Solus.  I've used it before, way back when it was based on Debian.

I've got to say, I like it a lot better now.  The software in the repositories is recent versions, mostly newest versions, as opposed to the old Debian based version, where pretty much everything was outdated.  Package management is nice and simple, the software manager has a very nice, very fast interface and updates are a breeze and are handled from the same window.  The desktop they've created is very nice.  It's got some great features that are reminiscent of a few other desktops, but it's very much unique in its own right.  It's very clean and very simple to customize.  The whole OS is that way, very clean and simple.  It doesn't come with a lot of installed software, which is always a plus for me.  But, their repositories are nice and robust with plenty of things that can be installed.

I only had one minor hiccup with my first attempt to install, but it was my fault.  I made a stupid post-install mistake and didn't fully update the system before installing my Nvidia driver.  That resulted in a blinking cursor greeting me after I restarted the machine.  A quick reboot into Peppermint and a look at their forum told me where I went wrong.  I reinstalled, updated and then installed my driver.  Now it's running like it should.  :)

All said, I think this OS is going to be a keeper for me.  I currently have it dual booted with Peppermint 7 on my main machine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:29:41 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 01:55:36 pm »
And I hit major snags with Solus.  Not that there was ever any fear of it replacing Peppermint, but it definitely wouldn't work for me as a day-to-day OS.  Firstly, Steam won't start.  I got a stupid error about not being able to find libgl.so.1, which should have been included in the 155 dependencies it pulled in.  Also I tried two of my GOG games on it, the one that runs Linux native went fine.  The one that runs in DOSBox, meanwhile, won't start.  It comes with a self contained version of DOSBox and fires right up on Peppermint and other Linux systems.

So, that's where I stand on Solus.  Great project, definitely worth keeping an eye on.  However, it has a few issues to be ironed out before it's ready for "Primetime," in my book.  But, that's what these tests are for.  I'm hoping to eventually find another Linux I like as well as Peppermint, but it's just not happening so far.