Choose style:

Author Topic: sssssssshhhhh..........don't poke the bear....!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
sssssssshhhhh..........don't poke the bear....!
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:51 am »
Witnessed your Jose Mourinho moment, scary.   ;)

The colour scheme from this link https://sites.google.com/site/myonlinepix2/ is my fathers' MicroMint, as he still thinks .exe files and Linuxmint are the same thing. He loves the layout of Peppermint compared to Ubuntu Unity or Linuxmint XFCE. Plus LibreOffice icons are all present and correct in PM, but AWOL in LM????   :-\

He hates ambiance and dark themes. Hence the MicroMint look.   ;)

The aesthetics of all desktops these days and their various broken elements, due to lack of or no longer maintained upstream, have become exacerbated with the transition from GTK2 to GTK3 and QT. Results are self evident with a limited choice of complete working themes.   :-\

LM have made an attempt to solve this with different colours, but I HAVE TO CONCUR with PCNetSpec that their green and grey theme, ditto with the other colours on offer do not gel with the icon theme. Drab.......!  ::)

This is my https://sites.google.com/site/myonlinepixies/ desktop scheme, Gnome-wise icon set and Crunchy Green ambiance theme.   :D

I like a bit of contrast between dark and light that highlights or compliments the colours. One man's meat is another's poison.   ;)

Smile  and be happy m8   :)
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: sssssssshhhhh..........don't poke the bear....!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:52:07 am »
You don't want to listen to what I say .. I'm no graphics design guru, just an opinionated old git ;)

I just find Mint's looks boring .. It's probably what they're aiming for, it's hard to get slated by reviewers if your "middle of the road" boring .. hey at least they're consistent :)

As you say, there's absolutely NO theme out there that suits everyone, so no matter what you do someone won't like it .. I think Mint have just had the common sense to realise that, so go for functionality with a single boring but consistent look.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 12:41:58 pm »
This is my https://sites.google.com/site/myonlinepixies/ desktop scheme, Gnome-wise icon set and Crunchy Green ambiance theme.   :D

Now THAT is a green desktop that I wish I could SIT on !!  :D A beautiful bike photo -- I just wish that I had one of those in my garage! And I don't doubt that even PCNetSpec likes your green theme.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 03:13:17 pm »
Completely different from what I use and prefer but very nice, I like it!  8)

Although I would definitely green-theme LibreOffice to match with the rest... but like you said "One man's meat is another's poison!"

Greets!
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:29:20 am »
@ PCNetSpec,

No worries m8. At our grand old age, plus with various bits and pieces falling off or going wrong, what seems like a daily occurrence. Those Richard Wilson moments are our tonic.

@ Slim

Now THAT is a green desktop that I wish I could SIT on !!  :D A beautiful bike photo -- I just wish that I had one of those in my garage! And I don't doubt that even PCNetSpec likes your green theme.

Regards,

-- Slim

Cheers Slim,
Only if I won the lottery, the bike is SO gorgeous not sure if it would be kept in the bedroom or the garage .  Mark is a keen biker or was before his back problem, maybe not in green I sure he LOVE to see that parked in his garage.

@GNULINUX
Cheers m8, as you say: LibreOffice is the fly in the ointment. A compromise....! The colour is determined by the banner from the firefox custom settings. Often find a corking Hendrix or the like, but tweaking the background and text page to suit the banner or the green theme doesn't GEL with the overall theme. Thus the Saxon banner with red and pale yellow background nearly colour match the banner, and a temp solution until I give up experimenting or LibreOffice allows their package to adopt the native system and custom theme settings.

“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc