Choose style:

Author Topic: Help choosing a secondary distro for a pc with slow internet? [SOLVED]  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7
Re: Help choosing a secondary distro for a pc with slow internet?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 04:44:00 pm »
Choices are getting clearer and clearer.
BunsenLabs failed to install properly because none of the repositories worked  ::)
Robolinux doesn't seem to really tick me into wanting to try it out
Semplice linux uses way too many shadows with their compositing...
Lubuntu is pretty plain, LXLE is pretty huge...

I actually ran out of considerable choices, so... I think so far Peppermint is the way to go. I really like pure openbox setups, but the idea of me building that... Well let`s say it ruins the "Lazy" part.

I'll be installing Peppermint today, as BL left me with an unstable lubuntu, and i was having some problems with Steam and dropbox there, so, Peppermint seems to be the way to go

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 04:53:29 pm »
Go Peppermint
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:56:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2016, 08:28:16 pm »
Installed, everything i need (And remember  ::)) is installed.

Tried going for an openbox pure setup, was doing decent at first, but then started noticing as i got deeper it felt like rocket science (Since i only got a bit of help that was a small script for tint2) still, was good to learn somethings about openbox.

So far everything is normal, surprisingly i got able to fix a little problem i had when putting openbox istead of xfwm4 (Everything looked black and the cursor was a X) and so far it's being nice (Except for maybe the fact openbox is being so difficult to standalone-setup)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2016, 09:50:54 pm »
Hi Elemec, maybe the video in this link submitted by, rajeev2631007 will help: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3044.msg30216.html#msg30216.  You can always ask Slim.Fatz.  He's really good with Open box, Fluxbox and tiled window managers  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2016, 01:05:20 pm »
Thanks, so far everything (from default) has been running extremely nicely, though, dropbox seems to never end uploading a single file that "Takes one second" but is been sitting here since i configured dropbox  :-\

Other than that performance is flawless, looks pretty nice out-of-the-box and compositing doesn't seem to waste many mbs of ram, so everthing feels as good as can be.

From installed things by my choice, the major problem is GPicView crashes my system (Leading to lightdm i think) when i click reload on the lxsession. But really, other than that everything is good. Enjoying it, will check out that post you did, Andy, and see if it lets me have a nice Openbox setup (I don't know why but when i tried Openbox on BL and Semplice i felt it to be more intuitive than a conventional DE, who knows eh?  ::))

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »
Hi Elemec,

My advice for you (given that you seem to desire a lean and fast WM) is to skip Openbox and give Fluxbox a test. My tutorial (found in this thread) will help you get started: it has rather detailed comments in the downloadable configuration files. And on my machines Fluxbox is the WM that uses the least amount of RAM.

Regards,

-- Slim

"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 06:53:16 pm »
Hi Elemec,

My advice for you (given that you seem to desire a lean and fast WM) is to skip Openbox and give Fluxbox a test. My tutorial (found in this thread) will help you get started: it has rather detailed comments in the downloadable configuration files. And on my machines Fluxbox is the WM that uses the least amount of RAM.

Regards,

-- Slim

Ooo, i never really tried Fluxbox outside of the unconfigurated version (Stock, right after you apt-get)

Alright, i'll give it a shot, seems interesting.

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »
Alright, Fluxbox's been pretty good even with just the sample configs, however i'm still unsure about OB or FB
Cause', Openbox's menu i'm able to find stuff quickly almost out of the bat (I need to install menu or something so "Debian" appears) and it just feels a bit more "like home", although, configuring it (By my peeking at some configs) is harder than fluxbox, requiring also a panel (I tried the tint2 one, but couldn't get it to work like BL's, whose you could open the menu on it, rather than needing to click the borders it wasn't put on)

I'll keep trying things out so far, though i think the main purpose of the thread already ended? (PeppermintOS won by a small part, but, a win is a win, eh?)