Choose style:

Author Topic: Linux Distro closest to Windows  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Alex

• View Profile
Linux Distro closest to Windows
« on: May 12, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »
Hi, everyone.
This is a serious question.
Bluetooth doesn't work; install programs outside of repositories...Well, a nightmare. I try to promote PeppermintOS, but people wants to run exe programs, play windows games and other things and Wine and PlayonLinux works very bad.
People says: ZorinOs is closest to windows, but for me it is a modified ubuntu. I respect all linux distros and their teams.

Give me The Best Linux Distros for First Time Switchers from Windows or how make PeppermintOS similar to windows.
My wife says: you use a medieval thing. My little brother hates PeppermintOS...No games, no animations like windows 10 and i ask: Give me reasons to use Linux?

Cheers.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Linux Distro closest to Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 03:09:14 pm »
Mint Cinnamon was close enough for me to make it an easy transition from Windows to Linux.

If people are happy enough using Windows they can use it. Their .exe files might even run on it.

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 RC1 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:32:32 pm »
Hi, everyone.
This is a serious question.
Bluetooth doesn't work; install programs outside of repositories...Well, a nightmare. I try to promote PeppermintOS, but people wants to run exe programs, play windows games and other things and Wine and PlayonLinux works very bad.

Cheers.

Hi Alex

This is simply a case of you not knowing how to configure it correctly. Linux Help Guy... aka Windws Help Guy aka Engish Bob on youtube extolled how easy Peppermint 6 was to configure PlayonLinux and play games on it.

So, no matter how much you make it look like Windows. Underneath the hood it is still Linux and you won't be able to configure it.  So your brother is still gonna dislike it.

If you want a linux look-a-like,  Look at Makulu Linux Aero, which has a plethora of XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 and Windows 10 settings to make it look like Windows.... but its still Linux.
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,2798.msg27762.html#msg27762 Forum thread on Makulu

So my honest advise is go an Learn how to configure PlayonLinux and Wine to play games.

Regards

Zeb...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:29:22 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 RC1 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9 Respin x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 03:53:06 pm »
Your attempts to convert someone will always fail. If people are happy with Windows, they have no reason to switch. All you will achieve is that people start to look at you as if you were an annoying jehova witness. I converted quite a few systems lately, three to Linux Mint, one to Peppermint 6.

Did these people make the switch because I was preaching the Linux gospel?  No.

It was bad economy. People who were stuck with older hardware and a sluggish, unreliable and unsupported Windows version. With no funds to buy something new, they had no choice. Now they have Linux, they love it, and word-of-mouth starts to kick in. Two other systems will be done next week, for the exact same reason.

There is an old wisdom which is as valid today as it was 25 years ago.

1. Carefully select and test the applications you want to use
2. Ask which operating system they need.

Never the other way around.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:33:12 pm »
This might seem a bit odd and a bit of a paradox but in my opinion the best distro for someone switching from Windows is any distro that looks and feels nothing like Windows, Linux is not Windows and shouldn't attempt to be, and if anyone making the switch isn't prepared to put in a little time & effort to learn how to use Linux and make it work for them should just stick with the mediocrity of Windows

I get a bit fed up hearing Linux is rubbish because it won't run MS Office, iTunes, Photoshop or Play Halo, if these things are so important then go sell your soul to Microsoft and use them, because we don't actually give a f care, Linux is not in competition with Microsoft or Apple and we don't want to be like Microsoft or Apple, we are a community of ordinary people who care about silly things like freedom & liberty we are here to help each other, were not interested in money & power

If your brother hates Peppermintos then tell him not to use it (problem solved) and to answer your question "Give me reasons to use Linux?"  Because it's not Windows, it wont spy on me, it wont impose it's will on me and it wont own me

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:49:34 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 05:57:39 pm »
Ubuntu Unity se parece com algo que você iria colocar no telefone de uma criança. Sejamos honestos.

Um amador é diferente de uma prostituta.

Saúde.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 06:09:44 pm »
The answer to that question is easy,  There isn't one.  Linux is completely different.  Sure, there are distros that try to be analogues of Windows.  The similarities are only skin deep.  I agree with Graeme, I don't find them  useful.  I think they probably drive away more users than they convert.  They give the impression that they are something they're not.  I think this is always a recipe for disaster.  If your little brother enjoys playing the lastest games, I would advise him to stay with Windows.  For the present, It's the best gaming platform  ;).  This is not because Linux can't run games.  That's a very common misconception.  It's because the games developers haven't ported them to Linux.  No more than that.  I'm no big gamer by any means.  I do enjoy some games though.  I use Steam.   You can install that on your Peppermint Six machine.  All the games I have, run fantastically with my limited gaming hardware combo.  If he wants to try LInux, the best option is to either dual boot with Windows or install the Linux distro, (Peppermint OS of course ;D) in a virtual machine in Windows

When people see something that's unfamiliar, or doesn't interest them, they're likely to regard it in a negative way.  The reaction from your wife is understandable and in most cases expected.  The fact of the matter is, the Linux desktop is far in advance of the anything the proprietary OSs can offer.  We have freedom to do whatever we want with our OS.  It keeps us safe, without the need for additional software.  We have access to tens of thousands of top quality programs that are free to use and at no cost.  The Linux Desktop doesn't need to compile information about us to function.  It never has and it never will.  It's being developed continuously and the benefits of this development are passed on to us the users, free of charge.  It's incredibly flexible.  For example, I have two laptops.  One is running only Peppermint Six.  This one I'm using now, is run three distros.  Peppermint Six, SparkyLinux Xfce (based on Debian Testing), and a Debian derivative beta test I'm helping with.  I also have two Raspberry Pi's running.  One is a B2 model runing openELEC.  This is my totally awesome Kodi media centre.  If you like to watch movies and TV, you should check it out.  I think this a must have item in any home  ;).  The other one is a B+ model, that's running Raspbian Jessie Lite.  I use this as a TOR relay, amongst other things.  These are all running versions of Linux.   This is only the tip of the iceberg in capability terms.  Rest assured Linux is a very long way from being medieval.  It's bleeding edge technology that's used everywhere and people don't even realize it.  I wait for people to ask me what I'm using.  I can then showcase my systems and really get their attention.  When they see what I have and what can be done - they're blown away  8).

Why are you finding installing software outside of the repos difficult?  It's for the most part, at least as easy as installing a Windows based program.  Okay, if you need to compile it.  That can be a pain.  There's hardly ever a time you'll need to do this - if ever!  I think the last time I compiled something, was about two years ago.  It was interesting but I wouldn't want to do it everyday ;D.  The PPA and .deb system of installation is so simple and easy.  We just don't advise new users to use them, without first checking with us.  So to summarize. Why should you use Peppermint?  The simple answer is because you want to  ;).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:34:56 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 06:10:08 pm »
I have a question, nothing more.
Where is the tutorials to help users?
Hi Alex,

Have you looked here? There are numerous other tips throughout the forum -- you only need to use the search function and read them. If you do not understand them, then you only need to ask. Simple.

Let's be honest: i will show Ubuntu Unity to my brother and friends. A serious OS with professional people.

Linux Mint is a good choice too. I respect Clem and his team.
So switch to them. Use whatever you find to be the best.  ;)

If you do not like Peppermint OS then stop using it.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:44 pm »
Mint Cinnamon was close enough for me to make it an easy transition from Windows to Linux.

If people are happy enough using Windows they can use it. Their .exe files might even run on it.

I have to agree with murraymint here.  Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition reminds me of Windows --particularly Windows 7.  Although I never felt so comfortable with Windows, I do recommend to those who feel more comfortable with Windows that they take a look at Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition.  The Cinnamon Edition of Linux Mint is now called Rosa.  I'm sure Rosa is a very attractive distribution.  ;)

https://linuxmint.com   &   http://blog.linuxmint.com?p=2947

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline Kyle

• Microshaft cannot compete...
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 (x64)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 09:50:50 pm »
I'd have to say ChaletOS... However, a Windows-like Linux distro is not the proper/recommended way to learn Linux. Nonetheless, you can always move to Peppermint!
[] Dell Latitude E6400 []
[] CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 [] RAM: 4GB DDR2 [] HDD: 1TB 5400RPM WD Black []