Choose style:

Author Topic: Help choosing a secondary distro for a pc with slow internet? [SOLVED]  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 7
So, i've been using linux for sometime (though, i still think i should stay away from arch and stuff like that, besides, this pc is not just for me otherwise i would take all my time tinkering stuff) and i've got to say PeppermintOS (although i didn't use it much, mostly due to testing other distros along with it) is a really good distro, but it seems to lack some use  for pcs with either total lack, or very slow internet (A.k.a can only really download some programs and update, but that is about it) and i've been looking so, for an alternative to PeppermintOS.

Prefference is a distro that has 32 bit support, uses lxde (I've been finding it better than xfce and mate), can be downloaded from a torrent (It for some reason is quicker than me doing a normal download), is as friendly, or at least a bit friendly regards codecs, support and etc, and comes with a decent ammount of stock applications (Like gimp, libreoffice), and aren't those : Lubuntu (though Peppermint is based on Lubuntu, it just seems a bit unfriendly regarding starting software for it's appearence.) and LXLE (Too big, no torrent for 32bit vers, also a bit too much friendliness regarding software)

TL;DR : A distro that isn't Lubuntu, LXLE, that supports 32bit, uses lxde, is friendly regarding stock installation working out-of-the-box and can be downloaded from a torrent, not cloud-based?

This has been solved, Peppermint os is the way to go. A little edited for my liking, but still! Hope this thread helps someone old/new to linux that was looking into a distro, great OB/FB help here.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:41:47 pm by Elemec »

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
Re: Help choosing a secondary distro for a pc with slow internet?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:39:38 pm »
What about Linux Mint? Full-featured out of the box, and there is a torrent download.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »
 Hi
you could also look at sparky linux which has a 32b torrent hosted by linux tracker - SparkyLinux is a lightweight & fast Debian testing based Live Linux distribution featuring customized LXDE desktop.
More details at http://sparkylinux.org
but I really don't get why Peppermint wont do ?
Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 03:11:51 pm »
I think the OP means the more programs are pre-installed in the torrent ISO, the less downloading he'll have to do later. Doesn't seem to me that it makes much difference either way though and it obviously depends which programs you want to have installed.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 03:53:34 pm »
Or maybe you'd like to try fix the slow internet in Peppermint ? .. because no matter which distro you choose the drivers are likely to be the same.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 04:03:07 pm »
Hi Elemec, you could try Robolinux: http://www.robolinux.org/, or Black Lab Linux: http://www.blacklablinux.org/.  I still think Peppermint is a better choice because you get to choose and install what you want.  Someone else isn't making the choices for you.  You can also check out DistroWatch: DistroWatch.com - good luck  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 04:30:05 pm »
I agree with Andy .. if minimal downloading is the goal, unless you can find a distro with *exactly* what you want and nothing you dont, Peppermint is going to allow you to have a core system then add ONLY what you want.

It doesn't matter if you find a distro with libreoffice preinstalled or install it in Peppermint .. you still had to download it either way.

That said, happy hunting for your ideal distro :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »
It's more of a... "Lazy man's" Distro, the internet is slow because it simply is not fast, it would be a bit slow, if things go wrong i'll stick with Peppermint and try to install the least programs i can, but still the ones needed for stuff.
This is because i have two pcs needing it, one is my personal one, that i will have full time to install and tinker (To an extent, since this is shared) the other i'll install once and never see the person again, and yeah, this is pretty much for a backup distro, but seeing the way things are going, i may just stick with Peppermint and do a lxde+openbox-composition build.

I was originally considering going full debian minimal with linuxbbq at first, but i noticed it looked rather difficult AND it's forums appeared to not really be a nice place to hang out for help (No offense to them or anything, is just that the ammount of swears i saw there...)

I'll keep trying distros on my free time until i come to conclusion, going to put a [SOLVED] once i find it, and do a small summary of how it went!
Thanks for all replies!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 08:05:40 pm »
Hi Elemec, well were here to help you out when you need it  ;).  Yeah the boys over in bbq land can be a little graphic  ;DDebian is a nice disto though - super dependable and stable.  My backup distro is SparkyLinux Xfce.  That's based on Debian's Testing branch.  It's a rock solid distro from Poland

Once Peppermint is set to the way you like it,  It's the ultimate lazy man's distro.  You just boot it up and use it.   Do the updates as and when they show up.  That's it.  You then come and hang out here with the rest of us.  If you need help with the LXDE - Openbox build, our Trusted User: Slim-Fatz is an expert in making things featherweight ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 06:44:14 pm »
It seems peppermintos doesn't like VM much, a bunch of U's with little things like '` popped up and it never booted to live desktop.
Also, the "can't find/boot perfect msr" or something error that i never understood what to do about.
Though, out of the distros i heard and tested, Peppermint is the best looking one, and surprisingly lighter than ubuntu even with composition.
I checked MD5 of that peppermint iso, but i don't know why it won't boot on VM

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 08:26:43 pm »
I've seen the screen full of U's before in Virtualbox and even on some hardware .. but it's always booted past them after a short while :-\

Cant say I've ever seen "can't find/boot perfect msr" before though .. which virtualisation software are you using, and on what host OS ?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:30:14 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 08:53:20 pm »
Ok, i checked, actually it's "failed-to-access-perfctr-msr" And seems to be something to do with CPU (Specially on VM) not having support for performance counters, so not really anything bad.
The screen of U's just froze for me, though.
Virtual Box, i'm using Lubuntu.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:33:34 pm »
How did you install virtualbox  in Lubnuts ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Elemec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 04:57:23 pm »
I did a
sudo apt-get install virtualbox

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 05:21:22 pm »
Personally I've always installed it via their repository

So unintstall the version from the Ubuntu repo
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox
then add the virtaulbox repo by opening your sources.list for editing
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and add this new line at the bottom
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian trusty contrib
SAVE the file and exit gedit

Now add the repo keys
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
then
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
then update your package cache
sudo apt-get update
then make sure you have build-essential and dkms installed:
sudo apt-get install build-essential dkms
then install virtualbox-5.0
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.0

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec