Choose style:

Author Topic: More SSD Questions  (Read 3364 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: More SSD Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 10:40:17 am »
@Slim: I would go with an SSD (60GB SSDs are at 20). I'm recommending a SSD to everyone, even with SATA2 it's still a decent upgrade from HDD. If you have SATA3 your PC will feel at least twice as fast... And for important data have a backup, USB 2.0 sticks are extremly cheap and perfect for this. If you don't trust one use two :D

The life cycle of SSD's extends with capacity (see the links I posted above), so I'd personally go 250GB
(unlike HDD's, so does speed)

Politics surrounding their software aside (and you're unlikely to ever use it in Linux anyway) I also favour (ATM) the 256GB Samsung 850 Pro, for longevity, speed, and length of warrantee.
(if you look around, you can find em at only a little over the price of lesser consumer SSD's)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 11:35:41 am »
The life cycle of SSD's extends with capacity (see the links I posted above), so I'd personally go 250GB
(unlike HDD's, so does speed) [...]

I bought a HP Elite 8200 i7 SFF PC, a week ago -- haven't even had time to unbox it.   :D

Speaking of speed, capacity, et cetera, I'm thinking about going this route:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cases_cooling/aqua_computer_reveals_m_2_riser_card_with_heatsink_and_water_block_compatibility/1

M2.Riser cards are trending now.  They're in that sweet spot.

Here's a Samsung 950 Pro Triple M2 integrated config in a RAID-0 array :

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Triple-M2-Samsung-950-Pro-Z170-PCIe-NVMe-RAID-Tested-Why-So-Snappy

Seems like overkill for a Peppermint OS install.  I think a HP i7 with a single M.2Riser would be sufficient, I'm sure.   ;)

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 11:49:21 am »
Life cycle does extend with capacity, but Speed only to the limit of your SATA-Port. So practically you get a speed increase in write, but not in read (I've 4 SSDs in total, 60GB KingDian, 64GB Transcend, 250GB Transcend, 512GB Transcend), they all get 500-550 Mb/s in read which is most important. I can't feel a difference there.
Life cycle is only affected by writes, so if you're using a SSD for OS + Programms (where you're mostly reading) they will probably all last some time. If you're using your SSDs for video rendering or something like this where they're writing a lot it might get an issue, but when I see how hard it is to get a 250GB SSD down I can live with one quarter of this.
The 250GB Transcend is older, needs more power and gives less infos (only a temp sensor), but they're all performing great. The 250GB one is the one I'm using for everything that writes a lot (Just to see if it will die some day). If I can't kill this one the others will probably live forever...

You don't need to spent much money to get a massive speedboost (and probably even reliability). The 512GB was because I needed a large drive in my Netbook (and I wanted to keep it silent, so HDD was no Option), but now I've a 64GB in it, a 60GB in my Backup/Office/Experiment/Mini-PC and the 250GB+512GB ones in the main PC...
And 20 is an extremly good price if you want a massive Speedboost. I'm not going back to boot a PC from HDD. Even the second PC, which only has a tiny AMD A4-5000 (4x1.5GHz) outperforms every HDD PC in Office or other light tasks (you can add HDDs for cheap Storage). So if you don't want to spend much get a cheap one, obviously you will get more for more money. But you want a SSD.

M.2 is nice, the numbers astonishing, but in reality they don't seem to bring a great advantage over SATA SSDs. And there are different kinds, most M.2 SSDs aren't even faster and the Samsung ones with over 2000MB/s and NVME don't bring a huge advantage for most people... The SATA SSD brought a huge advantage over HDD, but it seems like the CPU is the bottleneck again. But it's nice to have a new (faster) interface, although it might take some time until we realy need it. Seeing how the SATA SSDs are all just limited by the SATA Port was a bit boring 8)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:55:31 am by Timo »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 12:01:10 pm »
Sure, any capacity will give you a massive speed boost (on SATA3), and I only added that bit about speed as an afterthought because you're right the SATA databus is usually very close to being swamped by any SSD.

My point about longevity still stands though .. larger capacities (in pretty much all real world use cases) last longer, simple as .. and it's not 'simply' because you're less likely to hit the write/erase wall on an given gate through use, it's also because of their greater capacity for wear levelling/redundency to ensure that doesn't happen.

But my point was, with the price scale the way it is, I just feel 256GB is IMHO about where the best balance is ATM .. whilst this is just an opinion based on 'my' usage, it should equally apply to the 'average' desktop PC user.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:22:22 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 06:45:47 am »
Just try to avoid unbelievable cheap SSDs from China  >:(

This one was advertised as being an external SSD with a 1TB capacity. In reality you bought a partly disassembled 32GB USB stick; devious software made a computer believe it was 1TB. The nuts and bold were there to add some weight so it didn't feel too flimsy.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 06:59:36 am »
Nuts!  :o

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 08:35:50 am »
Just try to avoid unbelievable cheap SSDs from China  >:(

Well, if buying from China, always use a sales portal with guarantee (often you pay to the portal and they transfer it to the seller after you're approval [or after a certain period of time, if you're not doing anything]). And check if the offer is realistic, 20 for 60GB is, for 1TB it's not. My experience with chinese things are pretty good...

I don't think I've got a USB Stick with 500 MB/s read... This would be more awesome than a SSD anyways^^

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 09:11:14 am »
Well, if buying from China, always use a sales portal with guarantee (often you pay to the portal and they transfer it to the seller after you're approval [or after a certain period of time, if you're not doing anything]). And check if the offer is realistic, 20 for 60GB is, for 1TB it's not. My experience with chinese things are pretty good...

I don't think I've got a USB Stick with 500 MB/s read... This would be more awesome than a SSD anyways^^

True. AliExpress is a prime example of such a reliable portal.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 09:49:11 am »
That image .. at least they provided a flickering light LOL :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec