Choose style:

Author Topic: Disk is OK, 196617 bad sectors (33° C / 91° F) (SOLVED)  (Read 5170 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Disk is OK, 196617 bad sectors (33° C / 91° F) (SOLVED)
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
Hello Anyone,

Is it possible to repair the bad sectors on my old Hitachi External Drive?

This would be a big number if this were dollars for me, but is this such a big deal on a 320 GB external hard drive?

I read the Disk is OK, but this does sound like a lot of bad sectors to me.

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:09:35 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Disk is OK, 196617 bad sectors (33° C / 91° F)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:08:03 pm »
No they cannot be repaired .. it means the special ferrous coating on the disk platter will no longer stay magnetised, so can't be trusted to register as a 0 or 1

As to whether it means you need to replace the drive .. nobody can answer that.

It may be that all bad sectors have been marked as not to be used, and no new damage will occur.

But in my experience, when hard drives start to fail, they normally get worse fairly quickly.

By far the most common damage occurs when the read/write head touches the platter during operation (usually by being knocked) scraping off some of the ferrous coating .. the problem then is that as hard drives are sealed units, you now have iron flakes flying around inside the drive causing more damage.

About the only advice anyone can give you is

a) don't move laptops whilst they're running (ie. drive spinning and read/write head not in parked position) unless you're very careful and make no sudden moves .. IMHO if they contain a HDD they shouldn't be called laptops/notebooks/netbooks .. more "portable desktops" .. only SSD's are immune to movement.
(YES, they really are that sensitive)

b) keep an eye on the figure of bad blocks .. if it appears to be rising for no apparent reason, get a new drive quickly ;)

Obviously the above doesn't apply to SSD's .. they have their own distinct behaviour when failing depending on whether they support TRIM and wear leveling  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:18:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Disk is OK, 196617 bad sectors (33° C / 91° F)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:23:01 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec,

I have tried every trick I could think of, including going back to Windows and running a utility, called Bootice, in order to put only zeros on the drive.  As you would have known, and as I know now, nothing I was doing would remove those bad sectors.

Fuduntu was the first distribution to warn me about those sectors, and since Fuduntu is no longer with us, I figure I must have had this problem for somewhere around a year -- minimum.   At least I can be thankful the drive is still working, and is still very fast. 

I will keep my eye on the drive.

Thank you very much.

perknh
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:36:42 pm by perknh »

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Disk is OK, 196617 bad sectors (33° C / 91° F) (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:48:48 am »
There is only one program I am aware of that can fix sectors and they only claim to fix them long enough so you can image your drive to a new one....
Find yourself a copy of Hirens Boot cd (older version 10.5)...  The program is on there... 
Just boot off the hirens boot cd using (dos programs)...
Then you will get a dos menu and just go to number 6. Hard Disk Tools, then at bottom of page click MORE, then at bottom of next page click MORE again, and towards bottom of third page you will see (Hard Disk Regenerator version 1.71)....  Run it it works....  :)
If you need a image of my hirens version 10.5cd just ask, I can make one and put it on line in my storage area....
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:02:30 am »
Nothing (repeat NOTHING) can "fix" bad sectors .. recovery software "may" be able to read the contents as ti tried multiple times .. but NOTHING is going to "fix" them.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:53:25 am »
Yup I agree, nothing can fix them... All that regenerator does is like you said tries to recover what info is there and then moves it and marks the sector bad, It did however save me a boatload of pain starting over...  when my 320 gig died I ran that program on it until it went thru the entire drive which took many days of running 24/7 which worked out for me cause it took many days for them to ship my new drive....  but when my new drive arrived and I hooked the 320 gig up in a usb external case, I was able to boot hirens into the parted magic linux environment, and image the drive to new drive and I lost nothing, so it saved my day... 
I agree it is time for him to buy a new hard drive, but if he has anything he wishes to save from the old drive, this is his best bet for doing so....  :)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:33:58 am »
:)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:38 pm »
I'm pretty certain I have nothing of importance to recover -- except space.

I just hate hearing I've got that many bad sectors, and I certainly don't know what I could have done to cause this problem. 

I remember that computer from which I removed that drive.  The first morning I booted that old computer up, I got a bright blue screen, but because it was my first computer, I thought "Yahoo!, I can say I have a blue screen too!"--  just like everybody else was talking about at my local Dunkin Donuts coffee shop.  Now I know, of course, a brand new computer isn't supposed to be doing that.

I've come a long way since those days, but I still enjoy these computer conundrums in which I find myself.

Thank you both.

perknh