Choose style:

Author Topic: Stylish for Firefox  (Read 1785 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Stylish for Firefox
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »
Hi All

I have just discovered Stylish (Firefox extension), probably old hat for you guys n gals; and a user style called Tomorrow Night Global.  Where it changes "ALL" pages to a dark theme.   Some work some don't but it is so easy to turn off when they don't.  Now I don't have to put up with that "Glaring White" background that most pages provide.

with Style on
Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
[close]

with Style off
[close]

You may find other styles you like.   Like I said it's not perfect but its a start to stop that eye glare.   There is another called dark search for google, turns google search page black.

EDIT: and I think I had another running that just greys the white slightly, which is why the bottom screen is not glaring white  :'(

Have fun finding your perfect balanced style

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:43:42 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
Re: Stylish for Firefox
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 03:32:34 am »
...hello friends...to read,i do not recommend dark themes...i do not want to discuss too much because it is a simple matter of taste...but...ask yourself why books ( i do not mean covers ) have white pages with black fonts ? :-\...another good example is this site... :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 04:12:57 am »
...hello friends...to read,i do not recommend dark themes...i do not want to discuss too much because it is a simple matter of taste...but...ask yourself why books ( i do not mean covers ) have white pages with black fonts ? :-\...another good example is this site... :D
I personally find webpages where the majority of the screen is white, to be very tiring on the eyes.  This includes the Peppermint Forum.  There's a massive difference between black print on paper and black fonts on a white screen.  The light from paper is reflected and diffused, whereas the light from a screen is backlit and glaring.  This problem has been recognised by eBook Readers, like Kindle.  This is why they offer ePaper screens that utilize reflected light rather than the more usual backlit screens.  I think that it's convention rather than logic, that drives the use of black on white backlit screens  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 07:01:48 am »
ask yourself why books ( i do not mean covers ) have white pages with black fonts ?

a) because it uses FAR less ink ;)
and
b) because books are not backlight (even light themes on PC's tend more often than not to be a light grey for this very reason .. there's a world of difference between reflected sunlight on paper and bright white backlight on a screen)

The part that for sales purposes is meant to grab your attention so where cost isn't an issue, the cover, most often uses bright text on a dark background as it contrasts better and isn't so hard on the eye.

Nothing wrong with preferring light themes, but the analogy didn't *really* hold up now did it ;)

[EDIT]

Sorry, Andy seems to have already said the same thing .. Oh well, "great minds" and all that :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:20:56 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:03:04 am »
For some of us the white text on a dark background appears to be gently shaking, and looks like the monitor of an old BBC Micro.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 09:29:35 am »
Books may be printed with black text on a white background, but I can set my Kindle Fire to different reading modes, including white text on a black background.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 10:27:58 pm »
Stylish for Firefox is the right name for this post, so I'm reviving zebedeeboss' s thread here.

Has anyone looked at Firefox Nightly lately?  Have you see its icon?  I REALLY like the looks of it!

You can see it here.  Is that cool or what? 8)

I've been on a Firefox kick lately.  I've looked at SeaMonkey, Pale Moon, Basilisk, Waterfox, Firefox, and Firefox Nightly.  Right now I'm having fun with Firefox Nightly.  I installed Firefox Nightly from following the instructions at OMG! UBUNTU.  It's a PPA installation from "Ubuntu Mozilla Daily Build Team" team in Great Britain.

Nightly shares a lot of data with its developers by default -- and even runs tests by default, but you can uncheck any of the stuff you don't want to share.  Right now I'm okay with sharing interaction and technical data, error reports, or participating in a shield study if Mozilla would like.

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 01:48:24 pm »
Right now I'm okay with sharing interaction and technical data, error reports, or participating in a shield study if Mozilla would like.

Good for you perknh, that's kinda the point of the nightlies .. feedback to help improve :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 04:06:43 pm »
After reading this article, I don't know if I should make an exception for Pocket by disabling it. :-\

I suppose, if I'm in Nightly for a penny I might as well be in Nightly for a pound -- enable Pocket in Nightly, disable it in Firefox stable, and then refuse to use it in either. (We've still got bookmarking, you know!)  I had no idea that Pocket was proprietary software embedded within our open source browser. :o

The complaints center around the fact Pocket is a proprietary third-party service, already exists as an add-on, and is not a required component for a browser. Integrating Pocket directly into Firefox means it cannot be removed, only disabled. -- Emil Protalinski for VentureBeat

Come on, Mozilla! ::)

Link:  https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,7445.msg76357.html#msg76357
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 04:08:59 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »
Personally I'd disable it, then let them get usage stats .. hopefully they'll see it's disabled and think again.

Dumb move Mozilla .. it doesn't need to be there.
(at least it **can** be disabled .. better than nothing, but I'd rather see it as a plugin or at worst a disable toggle in the settings, not buried in about:config)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 06:08:43 pm »
Personally I'd disable it, then let them get usage stats .. hopefully they'll see it's disabled and think again.

Okay, I like it.  Doing this will help while making a statement at the same time!  Thanks. :)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:11:58 pm by perknh »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »
Hi All

I have just discovered Stylish (Firefox extension), probably old hat for you guys n gals; and a user style called Tomorrow Night Global.  Where it changes "ALL" pages to a dark theme.   Some work some don't but it is so easy to turn off when they don't.  Now I don't have to put up with that "Glaring White" background that most pages provide.

with Style on
[close]

with Style off
[close]

your spoiler links don't show anything @zebedeeboss I too am a fan of dark screens... and this reminds me to turn the peppermint ssb to a darker grey, white is tiring on the old eyes here
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 08:39:25 pm »
your spoiler links don't show anything @zebedeeboss

I was going to mention that...

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 08:51:35 pm »
Image host appears to be down: https://www.easycounter.com/report/itmages.com

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 02:43:52 pm »
Hi All

I have just discovered Stylish (Firefox extension),

Whilst setting in to deploy Stylish on the laptop I stumbled across a discussion about stylish being removed for datamining... Why Stylish was removed. - forum.userstyles.org

you might wanna redeploy with Stylus...    https://add0n.com/stylus.html

EDIT/RetractionWhelp, never mind, STYLUS also no longer works for current Firefox.
   :(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:30:39 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.