Choose style:

Author Topic: Microsoft's Latest Tactic (Note apostrophe)  (Read 3218 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Microsoft's Latest Tactic (Note apostrophe)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 10:48:23 am »
No, it was basically just saying that their "Red X trick" is being done away with. (clicking the red X confirms the installation, rather than cancelling it) Though, the end of the article does acknowledge that the woman winning $10,000 in a settlement probably helped lead to the decision.  More people need to sue M$ over this crap.  Now that someone has won one, that will inevitably lead to more suits as people realize that they can beat the tech giant in court.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:49:57 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 10:52:35 am »
Yeah I figured it'd be due to that even though they'd not admit it :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:23:44 pm »
It's Microsoft, they admit nothing.  But, yeah, you know that's what led to it.  They finally got caught doing something they can be successfully sued for, so they reversed it.  Of course, that won't stop the suits from coming, the floodgates are open now.  I figured there would be lawsuits, since a lot of people have had this update forced on them and, in some cases, it actually causes their computers to stop working.  I don't know why they though they could get by with it, other than the fact that it's Microsoft.  ::)  No matter what BS they make you agree to with their EULA, you own the hardware.  They can't claim ownership to that, only the software.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 01:19:17 pm »
Sommat needs to be done .. forced upgrades and keylogging are unacceptable, end of story.

I'm still of the opinion that their keystroke logging leaves them in breach of British/European data protection legislation .. irrespective of acceptance of their EULA.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:22:25 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »
I'm pretty sure key logging is illegal in the US too, except in certain situations.  Certainly doing it without someone's knowledge is illegal.

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 03:18:18 pm »
Who cares? I mean who cared about NSA/GCHQs practices? Much blabla, but it didn't get better... and for them Win10 is probably a dream. Anything they could possibly want is allready built in :o

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 03:28:05 pm »
I care.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 04:13:16 pm »
Hi PCNetSpec,

Of course, you care -- and I care, and probably Timo as well. But who are we? NOBODY!! If a big-shot, social-parasitic politician cares -- look out! Things are going to change!!

Not pretty, but that's the way modern "democracies" work.  >:(

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Timo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:33:05 pm »
I care.
I know that...
Germany's consumer protection is pretty active (and they're able to make penaltys). However only thing they do is let you know it's illegal. Basically you could sum all their tests up with "stay away from big companies, they've illegal business practices". Because Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, ... all don't care about EU/national law. Even transferring your IP adress into the US without permission is already illegal. They at least don't care...

If a big-shot, social-parasitic politician cares -- look out! Things are going to change!!
Not pretty, but that's the way modern "democracies" work.  >:(
Horst Seehofer (Minister President of Bavaria) in TV about our democracy: "Those who decide aren't elected and those who are elected have nothing to decide."

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 04:54:44 pm »
Hi Timo,

Yes, sad but true.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 04:57:33 pm »
If enough people care, stuff changes .. problem is making enough people care.

That said, change is in the air.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »
Last time I checked, a lot of people cared when they found out the NSA and CIA and whatever other government agencies were spying on their own citizens and citizens of allied countries.  The major differences between them and M$ is that they're government agencies who hide their practices behind a veil of secrecy that's nearly impossible to peer behind.  And, when someone finally comes out and blows the whistle on what they're doing, that person is then branded a traitor and a criminal because they violated the oath they swore to when they were hired.  So, it's extremely hard to even find out what those agencies are doing.

M$, on the other hand, has it all spelled out in their EULA and Software Agreement, two 25 or so page documents that 99% of people who use the OS are too stupid to read before clicking "I Agree."  The fact that they can get by with not only doing what they're doing but doing it with the level of transparency with which they're doing it is something that most people should find deeply troubling.  However, most people can be flat out told what M$ is doing and still won't care because they think they can't get on Facebook without Windows.

So, yeah, "Who cares?" is exactly the kind of attitude that led us to this point.  It's the wrong attitude to have.  If these tech giants can keep getting away with crap like this, then there's no limit to what they'll try next.

Offline Timo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 09:19:17 pm »
M$ isn't the issue, it's a symptom of a broken system. There are a few guys who have the right to print money (the FED is a private bank) and then there's compound interest, making rich richer and poor poorer. Naturally it should be the other way round, if anybody works the same they should (at least after an infinite amount of time) all have the same. If someone worked harder/had luck/whatever he can have more and maybe quit working, but it shouldn't be like from this point on he and all his descendants will just get richer and richer over generations without doing anything. There should be a slight draft into the middle, drawing the rich down a bit and the poor up. Doesn't have to be much, but at least the tendency should be right.
However anyone in the position and willing to change this has yet been killed (it's over 100 years working like this) and instead the current system has been kept going with wars and anything necessary to keep it from crashing.

And I'm not sure if people will understand this or hit the reset switch with a big war and restart, running into the same issues again a few decades afterwards.

EDIT: to clarify with "who cares?" I meant politicians and judges, law doesn't matter if none of them looks after it. Obviously I care as well and yeah I red that Win10 EULA with a friend (black humor + alcohol required) and tried Linux a few days afterwards... although it was only the drop that brough the barrel to overflow...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:27:21 pm by Timo »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 09:34:36 am »
Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if M$ didn't actually put all of this spying stuff right into Win10 at the behest of the US Government.  Either the data is going directly to them, or perhaps they're even just running a social experiment to test how people react to various levels of "big brother" watching them.  They may want to see how willing people are to put up with this stuff and exactly how much people will accept willingly.  Having a major company put this level of surveillance out absolves them of any guilt in the matter and puts the target squarely on M$.

After all, it's not like the government has never been involved in tech companies in the past.  It's a pretty well known fact (at least in certain circles) that the FBI put money into Facebook so that Facebook would create the world's largest searchable photo ID database.  They may have similarly funded Win10, or at least certain aspects of it.

EDIT: to clarify with "who cares?" I meant politicians and judges, law doesn't matter if none of them looks after it. Obviously I care as well and yeah I red that Win10 EULA with a friend (black humor + alcohol required) and tried Linux a few days afterwards... although it was only the drop that brough the barrel to overflow...

Ah, I got you now.  Unfortunately, what you intend to say doesn't always come across in text.  I misread what you were saying there.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 10:23:04 am »
They may have similarly funded Win10, or at least certain aspects of it.

That would help to explain why they've made it "free of charge" and tried to force so many people into using it.