Choose style:

Author Topic: Sony FLAC  (Read 1479 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Sony FLAC
« on: May 30, 2016, 06:00:21 am »
Hi all, I really loathe how MP3 compressed files ruin good music.  For me, MP3 files make everything sound washed out and diluted.  I like my music to sound the way it was recorded, so I use the FLAC format wherever possible.  I decided to treat myself to a pair to Hi-Res headphones.  I was looking for something with a fairly flat and even sound signature.  I didn't want an overbearing aggressive bass that kids seem to enjoy.  After checking out a variety of Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, Bose and Philips.  I was left a little underwhelmed  :(.   I then stumbled across the Sony MDR-100aap over the ear headphones.  It didn't take me long to realize these were exactly what I was looking for and they were within my price range. 

My computer for audio is using: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel. Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-22-generic.  It's can handle good quality sound with no issues.  I use the Clementine 1.3.1 audio player to play all my music with the equaliser turned off and the PulseAudio Equalizer set to Flat.  When I plug these Sony headphones in, the sound is beautifully natural.  Everything is well balanced.  The bass is clear and present, without thumping me  ;).  It doesn't overwhelm the listening experience, allowing the midtones and highs to be heard clearly without any distortion.  These headphone produce a really pleasing, natural and very relaxing sound.  They're also extremely comfortable to wear.  They're surprisingly lightweight for High-Res headphones, weighing in at 215g/7.58Oz according to my kitchen scales.  They don't fit too tight either.  This was a problem I found all the other headphones I tested.  I wear glasses and have stubbornly inactive hair follicles up top  :D.  I'm able to wear the Sony MDR-100aap headphones for hours without any discomfort.  Not only do they sound great.  They look the business too, with their clean minimalist form.  They come in a variety of colours that should appeal to the more fashion conscious.  I'm a trendy person, so chose the charcoal black  ;D

I can highly recommend these for anyone who likes to listen to music the way it's supposed to sound.  You can check them out here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-100aap.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Sony FLAC
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:12:24 am »
Interesting, nice little review Andy :)

I love my big JBL headphones when I'm mixing music but they soon make my ears sweat. If I was going to use a portable player more often I would consider something like those Sony ones.

FLAC all the way 8)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:25:55 am »
Hi AndyinMokum
Very nice write-up.
For those with a smaller budget, I have found these to be superb; They have had around 3 years hard use now and are still as comfortable as the day I bought them. http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/closed-headphones-stereo-headphones-hd-205
I must take a listen to some FLAC music but with my tone deaf ears, I doubt I will notice it :)
Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 08:47:43 am »
I've done a view tests MP3 320k vs MP3 128k vs FLAC and it's really down to the Music, Soundcard and Headphones and obviously compression... I can hear the difference on some titles with Creative Soundblaster X-Fi USB + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 Ohm), but on others I can't hear any difference. On my internal Soundcard I can't hear any difference between the 3, on my Smartphone (Yamaha Soundcard) I can hear a difference between 320k and 128k in some titles, but no difference between 320k and FLAC (and only on lower volume, with high volume everything gets rubbish ???). No difference also with other headphones...
So in my eyes theres a point in MP3, for the tiny difference in sound the great difference in size is pretty good. Although I'm only using FLAC, who cares in times of giant microSD cards :D For those poor souls with non upgradeable memory FLAC is probably not worth it...

I love my DT 770s, too :D No issues with heat, but they're heavy. On my Smartphone they've aggressive bass, on the X-Fi they're pretty neutral (although they're capable of extreme bass, if the music/game demands it). And the're made not far from here and every part is replaceable, so if they will break for whatever reason I could just go to the Factory, which is a nice bonus 8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:21:40 am »
Okay if we're doing the c*ck size thang .. here's mine
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HA-L50-Lightweight-Headphones-White-x/dp/B000I2J4SY/ref=sr_1_78?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1464621313&sr=1-78&keywords=headphones
they go great with my
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EOiFt47CsXo/hqdefault.jpg
(though portability is a bit of a problem and requires an harness)

They MUST be in white though, white helps with bass delivery .. Apple knew this incontrovertible truth.

Only bettered by the same model but with an 'i' at the beginning of the name .. but that 'i' added 400 to the price.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:28:56 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 01:15:03 pm »
In RC Car Racing they say Yellow Wheels are faster than White ones. I guess this means Yellow headphones are good for high and white for deep tones. I will just paint them if I want to change the characteristics then. Don't know why I didn't get this earlier... anyways, something learned today :D
When I'm painting them I can also add an i at the beginning of the name, maybe I will sell them some day... 400 more would be enough to get better RAM when buying a Mac :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:07:02 pm »
Hey, good business idea .. buy anything, call it something like a Toyota iCarolla, or iAsprin, or iSocks, or iBananas add 400 to the price and sell em.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:13:19 pm »
I'm still very pleased with way my Sony MDR-100aap headphones are sounding.  In fact, the sound has developed nicely as they burnt in.   However, I was thinking, Led Zeppelin is still missing something  :-\.  I started exploring the world of valve/vacuum tube preamps.  After a bunch of research, I decided to go for something not expensive and do some customizations.  I bought from an eBay auction a Little Bear P2-1 headphone preamp.  This is an inexpensive pentode valve/vacuum tube device.  It comes with two plus one spare mass produced Chinese 6J1 pentode valves/tubes.  These are adequate at best.  They produce an slightly unbalanced, tinny and jangly sound.  What do you expect for 14 and change, lol :p?

The plan all along, was to do some tube rolling on this little preamp.  I got my hands on a matched pair of high end USSR military spec Voskhod 6J1P-EV valves/vacuum tubes from 1987.  These are rated at 5000 hrs minimum and are of a very superior quality.  You'd think they'd be really expensive to buy.  Fortunately, the USSR produced gazillions of these things for their missile program.  I picked up a matched pair for 10 from Hungary.  I've swapped out the cheapy Chinese PJ1s for the old/new Soviet ones.  The amp takes about a minute to warm up.  Once it has a nice orange glow coming from the tubes, it's hot to trot.

I plugged the Sony's in and play some Miles Davis, just to check out subtleties.  Then some more up to date, rumbling post rock from Tuber.  Good grief, what a huge difference.  This cheap pentode preamp is now a different animal - it's a beast.  The Sony's suddenly became alive.  They now give out a deep, rich and chocolatey sound with super smooth mids and highs.  Everything, right across the sound spectrum is right there, without any harshness or head splitting trebles.  These Commie Cold War pentodes haven't even fully burned in.  That'll take around 20 hours and they'll only get better sounding.  Needless to say, Led Zeppelin is now sounding just the way I like.  Good ol' retro tech  8).  It was really inexpensive to do too - always a good thing  ;)

Just because  :D!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 02:57:19 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.