Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 7  (Read 6809 times)

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Peppermint 7
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 03:13:10 am »
Hi Perknh,You always kind and open to share you experience and guidance for forum uses.Thank you for your sharing and conclusions.

I Still confuse and not able understand,May be my lack of understand of concepts why Universal print drives are not used or works or not included in distro by default.I heard and came to know Universal Print Driver Works with all printer drivers and manufacturers as single printer driver.Citrix UPS (Universal Print Services or Server) is very good example of it.Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also found after Google search there are some apps like Gutenprint and TurboPrint (Commerical) extend and improve your printer driver support.Gutenprint currently supports over 700 printer of Brother/Canon/Epson/HP models.

Gutenprint 5.2.11
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/index.php

TurboPrint 2
http://www.turboprint.info/

I hope there may be more apps available on open source community.Why Distro are not included these apps in their repositories to extend printer support.There should be some reason behind this which I don't know. I hope PCNetspecs will help me to clear my ignorance or doubts. :-\

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam   
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:16:12 am by rajeev2631007 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 05:20:04 am »
I can help you clear up the open source one, gutenprint .. run:
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep gutenprint
and you'll see it's already installed "out of the box"

You may also want run
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep foomatic
where you'll see a compressed database of PPD's is already installed (where a PPD is available)

Commercial products that are basically just collections of closed source proprietary drivers will never make it into the repos as we can't study the source code for malware and therefore keep you safe.

Linux has the same CUPS backend as Apples OS X, so you'd think it would be trivial for manufacturers to release PPD files for their printers .. instead they choose to wrap them up in proprietary software that is licensed in such a way as to make it incompatible with free software .. the fact is even where they supply proprietary drivers for Linux we CANNOT supply them for both licensing and security reasons.

This is a manufacturer created problem, not a Linux one .. buy a printer from a manufacturer known to open source their drivers and those drivers will already be installed .. in short "HP" ;)

Or pressure your printer manufacturer to either:-

a) open source their drivers
or
b) release a simple PPD file for your printer so that it can be included in something like gutenprint / foomatic
or
c) work with the Linux community to build open sourced versions of their drivers (or a simple PPD)
or at worst
d) release proprietary LINUX drivers

I mean really, how hard would it be for other manufacturers to do what HP do with hplip (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) .. a universal open source driver (and GUI front end) that covers ALL their printers ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:59:24 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 07:22:04 am »
Thank you very much PCNetSpec 8) once again..........for removing few clouds of ignorance and doubts.Few are left I'm hoping that also clear after you next post and I'll able to see sun shine.  :)

I checked gutenprint and foomatic are preinstall in Peppermint 6.Is it licensing and security reason behind?, that why Hplip is not preinstall in Peppermint 6?

What are the default path of footmatic/gutenprint/Hplip . If I went to path and checked PPD files in /usr/share/cups/model I don't find any files and folder there. Am I'm looking at wrong place? There are any difference between foomatic-db-compressed-ppds and foomatic-db-engine.

Thank you very much again for you sharing.

One more thing Perknh and AndyInMokum if you know Matthew Moore >:( please advice him talk to Mr. PCNetSpec 8) after that He will not feel Frustrations due to Linux. :D

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 08:16:30 am »
One more thing Perknh and AndyInMokum if you know Matthew Moore >:( please advice him talk to Mr. PCNetSpec 8) after that He will not feel Frustrations due to Linux. :D

That's wise advice, rajeev2631007.  Matthew might regain his love for Linux again if he began using Peppermint Linux OS, while participating in our fun and informative forum.  Matthew needs to relax a little.  I'm pretty sure that Windows 10 is not really where Matthew wants to go in the world of computing.  Like most human beings who use computers, myself included, Matthew's true problem actually resides between his keyboard and his seat.  Linux is not the enemy! ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:07:51 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:02 pm »
hplip and hplip-gui were left out solely because they're manufacturer specific .. and very easy to install anyway.
(I didn't want to push hplip on people that *don't* hav a HP printer)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:15:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 12:39:09 pm »
+1 for hplip-gui (if you have a HP printer of course). ;)

I have a HP Photosmart 5525 (print-scan-copy-web) and have it plugged in via USB on my main system and shared on my home-network (mixed Windows-Linux).
Everything works from every device, I even think hplip has more options than the Windows driver offers!

It's really a very good piece of software and it has an easy and nice User Interface!  8)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 12:39:48 am »
Thank you perknh,PCNetSpec,AndyInMokum,GNULINUX for you inputs and sharing.  :)

After this discussion I came to know Peppermint team is full of genius who take care small small things which can improve Peppermint Distro. Most the time other big and popular distro. miss that small small details due to lack of experience and Dedicated team and forum users. I had experienced this during migration process in production environment. Most of the time you attach any device camera/Mobile/3G or 4G Dongle/USB Wireless Dongle/USB bar-code Scanner/Printer PM6 always work and other distro failed due to XYZ reasons. 

I'm excited for PM7. I'm hoping it should be better than PM6.

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 12:07:54 pm »
For my part you're most welcome :)

I'm excited for PM7. I'm hoping it should be better than PM6.

Me too ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 01:15:10 pm »
Hi rajeev2631007,

I'm as enthusiastic and as hopeful for Peppermint 7 as you are, rajeev2631007!  ;)

Thank you so much,

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:34 pm »
+1 for hplip-gui (if you have a HP printer of course). ;)

I have a HP Photosmart 5525 (print-scan-copy-web) and have it plugged in via USB on my main system and shared on my home-network (mixed Windows-Linux).
Everything works from every device, I even think hplip has more options than the Windows driver offers!

It's really a very good piece of software and it has an easy and nice User Interface!  8)

I'm with you, I love hplip-gui.  You know what's great about it?  All of the functionality of the Windows version, maybe more, without the bloat.  On Windows, they make you install all of those programs to get all of the functions and it's a bunch of needless BS.  The Linux version is simple and straightforward, no bloat.

I'll only buy HP printers from here on out simply because of their superior Linux support.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 02:53:41 pm »
Ditto.

Oh, and Samsung lasers .. Samsung also do good Linux drivers

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 04:27:16 pm »

Good information to have.  :)

As much as I like HP printers, their quality can be hit or miss.  I'll have to keep Samsung in mind for future purchases.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 04:48:38 pm »

Good information to have.  :)

As much as I like HP printers, their quality can be hit or miss.  I'll have to keep Samsung in mind for future purchases.
Unfortunately, HP printers have a tendency to be ink hungry beasts too  :(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 05:17:03 pm »
Yep, the ideal setup is a Sammy B&W laser set on draft for most use .. and an HP inky for the odd colour image

That said, that's ideal for *me* .. probably not everyone.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:40 pm »
I hardly ever print anything.  The last thing I used my printer for was the SD card slot.  ;)  I don't even remember if my printer has ink.  I think one of the cartridges is empty, maybe the black one.

Though, you are correct, HP goes through ink like nobody's business.  And it's expensive too.