Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 7  (Read 6785 times)

Offline JoeSh

• Peppermint does the trick
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7 (32bit) 10 (64bit)
Peppermint 7
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:24:52 am »
Hi all!!

Any news on Peppermint 7 yet?

What would everyone like to see in the latest version?

Offline aagimob

• aagimob
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 5 & Peppermint 10
Re: Peppermint 7
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:24:34 pm »
...Peppermint OS is built for speed...but... 'FESTINA LENTE' !... ;)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:27:26 pm by aagimob »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:45:50 pm »
...Peppermint OS is built for speed...but... 'FESTINA LENTE' !... ;)

Well said +1
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:27:20 pm »
Yep, the news is it's still in private beta testing .. but with any luck it shouldn't be too long now :)

That said, if we run into any major hiccups it'll be "as long as it takes" to fix it .. we only release when we consider it "ready" ;)

What would I like to see in Peppermint 7 .. Now that would be telling as I've already put it in ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:34:04 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:09:38 pm »
I'd like to see a simple but effective desktop interface with a panel and a menu for launching programs.  :D

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:44:11 pm »
I'd like to see a simple but effective desktop interface with a panel and a menu for launching programs.  :D

GUI confirmed 8)

Offline JoeSh

• Peppermint does the trick
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6 and 7 (32bit) 10 (64bit)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 04:01:46 pm »
Good to hear all your thoughts and feedback!

8)

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 06:32:46 am »
Hi PCNetSpecs,

I'm hoping this private beta testing also includes wireless or Ethernet printer and scanner testing for well renowned brands.
And touch screens issues which we had faced with hybrid laptops. These are the big issues which we faced everyday in production environments along  with application bugs in Linux.

I'm hoping Peppermint 7 will be perform better then other Linux distribution in these areas.

Will Peppermint 7 ( Ubuntu 16.04 Kernel ?) Support Atom motherboard and better and improve touch screen performance?

I came to know these features depends on Kernel version is it true?

I'm very excited for Peppermint 7. God gives you power and creativity to make Peppermint 7 a Masterpiece.

Regards,
Rajeev Gautam

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 07:52:26 am »
We haven't "specifically" concentrated on these areas....

LAN printing is really a "driver" level problem (or not in the case of HP) .. we have no control over manufacturer drivers.

Touchscreen support is part of xorg and the kernel .. I gather there are some improvements in the 4 series kernels that we'll simply "inherit"

As for "Atom" motherboards .. I take it you mean 32bit UEFI support .. I'm sorry but NO, Intel have made some of the Atom chipsets Linux incompatible for more reasons than just 32bit UEFI (such as power management that's specifically tied to Windows) .. basically all I can tell you is "if it works in 16.04, it'll work in Peppermint 7" but we haven't treated touchscreen or 32bit UEFI "Atom" mobos as a "special case".
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rajeev2631007

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 01:34:00 pm »
LAN printing is really a "driver" level problem (or not in the case of HP) .. we have no control over manufacturer drivers.

What I understand from you that Manufactures are not taking their responsibility or ownership to make Linux Printer and Scanner and Multi functional Device Drivers for Linux.And Linux Distro can't do any thing in this area their own or they don't have any solutions for these issues. Is it not a big and important issue for Linux community that It  should work Out-off the box.  :-\

I had migrated 58 XP computers to Peppermint 6 in my production environment and above area had my biggest and Frustrating area  and waste lot off time in this only.I also admit that without this forum help I had not able to accomplish this.

I'm not the only person who think this is a painful issue and Frustrating area. I'm sharing one you tube video from Matthew Moore

The Frustrations of Linux.

I request other forum users please give your opinion and suggestion. You really think is it issue or not?

Regards,

Rajeev Gautam

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 02:14:40 pm »
No that's not what I'm saying at all, but you have to admit why should Linux be held responsible for Canon or Brother, or Lexmarks inadequacies ? .. you wouldn't blame Apple if a device clearly labeled as "Windows" didn't have OS X drivers .. you'd blame yourself for not doing the homework before buying the printer, or the printer manufacturer for not doing the drivers, it's simply not Apples job to write drivers for other peoples hardware (in fact it would likely be impossible without the closely guarded proprietary specs for the device).

In reality printing has come a long way in Linux, both with manufacturers finally starting to do Linux drivers, and by people writing open source drivers for a TON of older models:
https://www.openprinting.org/printers
however, some of these can be difficult to find and/or install.

Simple fact is, if you want an easy life, buy a printer that's known to work in Linux, in the same way if you owned an Apple you'd buy one known to work in OS X
If you buy one KNOWN to work in Linux (preferably HP) then there's every chance it'll work without you needing to do much (or sometimes any) configuration.

As for Micheal Moore .. [PCNetSpec thinks for a second] .. no I'm not going there, personally *I* don't think it's my place to slag off others "work (?)"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:16:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 06:25:20 pm »
There's one very exciting announcement Matthew Moore makes at the beginning of this video.  He's making less videos about Linux - hurrah  :-X!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:00:49 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 06:39:55 pm »
There's one very exciting announcement Matthew Moore makes at the beginning of this video.  He's making less videos about Linux - hurrah  :-X!!

Got it!  :) 

I can't imagine which OS he will choose now -- Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac OS X?  This should be interesting.

Thank you, AndyInMokum and rajeev2631007  ;)

perknh
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:12:05 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 07:18:29 pm »

Could you share the link, Andy?   I'd like to hear what he has to say about Linux now.
Here you go, https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3505.msg35074.html#msg35074.  Sorry I can't give you the official YouTube link.  For some reason I can't access the Comments or Share.  They just perpetually load  :-\.   Strange, as it was working a few minutes ago.  It must be a Google thing  ;D.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 09:04:20 pm »
Thank you, AndyInMokum.  Got it!  :)  Also, I know rajeev2631007 would like hear any conclusions anyone has after listening to and and watching the video.

So here goes:

I just listened and watched as to why Matthew Moore is leaning more and more towards Windows as a preferred OS.  He is leaning more and more towards Windows because he has just had a bad experience with his personal computer's printer while using MATE 16.04.   He, apparently, hasn't received the forum support he needs to resolve the issue he is having with his printer -- or with the drivers for this printer.  He is also clearly frustrated about this printer problem he is having right now.  Therefore his conclusion is:  Linux is great on the back end of things --such as a being an excellent OS for servers, but, on front end of things, Linux is not much more than "a toy."  He prefers Windows now for day to day personal or business computer use because he feels Windows is a more reliable platform.  Matthew Moore believes that Windows programs are a cut above Linux programs, and, when a computer user needs something to work (at least in the United States), he or she is better using Windows than GNU/Linux. 

That is what I got from watching this video --that and that MATE 16.04 looks like a pretty darn good Ubuntu distribution.  ;)

Personally, I've seen this problem in reverse.  I have a friend who runs both Windows and Linux.  I've seen Windows 7 come up with some funny model numbers when it comes to her printer, and NEVER an accurate one.  Presently, Peppermint 6 is supporting her printer while Windows 7 is not --for the third time it is not, I must say.  So I've seen this kind of problem go both ways.  I don't doubt that Matthew may be having a problem with 16.04.  Yes, he's a seasoned Linux user, but these issues can still occur, and, fortunately, they can usually be resolved over time.

Off topic:

I've also concluded, or at least I should say I suspect strongly, that Matthew Moore has a skin condition called Seborrheic Dermatitis.  And I suspect I now know why Matthew scratches his skin so much.  Seborrheic Dermatitis is a noncontagious, but extremely itchy skin condition.  So a medical mystery may have been solved today.  And, since Matthew Moore is living in the US, I suspect there's a 50-50 chance he may not even know that he actually has this condition.  But I can see it's bothering the heck out of him.  He now has my sympathy on that issue.  He's showing the classic signs of a seborrheic dermal flareup within this video.

P.S.

I didn't realize that PCNetSpec had already posted on this subject.  For sure, if you want to use Linux, do your best to buy something that works with Linux.  I hear you!  ;)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:17:06 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum