Choose style:

Author Topic: Updating has stopped?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Pepper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 4
Updating has stopped?
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »
I am a long time user of Peppermint 4, but somehow for a while I haven't received any updates. There are no updates in synaptic either.

For example I am still using Firefox 26, while the current version is up at version 29.

So please.. give me some help. I may have damaged my sources.list file. Question is how. But I hope I can restore my updates somehow.
Maybe someone can copy paste their sources-list?

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
Re: Updating has stopped?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 03:57:46 pm »
Upstream support for Peppermint Four has stopped due to Canonical's decision to limit support to only 9 months on non-LTS releases. Therefore there aren't any new updates available unless you bring them in from another source. Fortunately Peppermint Five is very close to release and will have upstream support for 5 years.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:44:29 pm »
Hello, Pepper, and welcome to Peppermint!

This is one of the most user friendly Linux operating systems I suspect you'll ever see.  And, on top of this, Peppermint OS has also one of the most informative and fun forums to be had on the Web.  And, Pepper, you joined right at the right time.  We're about to leave our fast, sturdy, and beloved Peppermint 4 OS for a new version of Peppermint -- Peppermint 5.  You're going to see a lot of action around here -- de pronto!  Your timing could not have been better.   :)

Now, to address your question concerning Firefox 29, please check the link below out.  I got these instructions from PCNetSpec.  He's our support administrator and software developer, so the instructions are safe and dependable.

Here's the link for Firefox 29 -- straight from PCNetSpec:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,56.msg1832.html#msg1832

These instructions worked perfectly for me in Peppermint 4, and, yes, Firefox 29 flies!

And, don't worry Pepper, Peppermint 5 is right around the corner!

Again, welcome to Peppermint!

perknh
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:12:15 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:34:15 am »
Upstream support for Peppermint Four has stopped due to Canonical's decision to limit support to only 9 months on non-LTS releases. Therefore there aren't any new updates available unless you bring them in from another source. Fortunately Peppermint Five is very close to release and will have upstream support for 5 years.

How close to release is Peppermint Five, and how is the beta testing going, if you know? Thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:54:06 am »
How close to release is Peppermint Five, and how is the beta testing going, if you know? Thanks.

Impossible to be precise about the release date .. it depends on what the beta test turns up.

Shouldn't be too long now :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:12:05 am »
Looking forward to it!  :)