Choose style:

Author Topic: steam on peppermint.  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Reza

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
steam on peppermint.
« on: May 12, 2016, 01:14:00 pm »
Hello evryone i have been thinking about installing peppermint as an only os on my pc. However i like to play games on steam like cs go.  Has anyone tried cs go on peppermint or triple A titles ?

If so  how do they perform compared to windows ? noticeable framedrop ?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin & 9 Alpha
Re: steam on peppermint.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »
Hi Reza and welcome to the forum :)

I'm not really a gamer so can't answer your question directly, but it might help if you posted at least what CPU and graphics card you have .. people would probably be better placed to respond if they had that info ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 01:28:40 pm »
Like anything, it will vary by game.  Some things run better in Windows, some in Linux.  In most cases, there's no difference that I've noticed.  What you may want to do to test it is set up a dual boot with Windows for now and try out Steam on Peppermint.  Yoiu can always make the change permanent if you like it.  If not, you can always return to Windows without installing it again.

Another place to get info on how specific games run in Steam on Linux is the Steam discussions.  Chances are, if you look at any specific game's board, someone has posted info good or bad about it.

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:21:23 am »
Linux might have better performance in CPU/RAM heavy Games (if they work fine on Linux)
Windows will probably have better performance in GPU heavy Games

I would recommend dualboot, too. You can decrease your windows partition in Windows and install Peppermint on the same HDD (if there's enough disk space)

Offline Reza

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »
Hi Reza and welcome to the forum :)

I'm not really a gamer so can't answer your question directly, but it might help if you posted at least what CPU and graphics card you have .. people would probably be better placed to respond if they had that info ;)

from what i remember:
-gtx 660 ti
-i5
-8gb ram
- gygabite Z77X-D3H motherboard

Offline Reza

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 12:03:40 pm »
Like anything, it will vary by game.  Some things run better in Windows, some in Linux.  In most cases, there's no difference that I've noticed.  What you may want to do to test it is set up a dual boot with Windows for now and try out Steam on Peppermint.  Yoiu can always make the change permanent if you like it.  If not, you can always return to Windows without installing it again.

Another place to get info on how specific games run in Steam on Linux is the Steam discussions.  Chances are, if you look at any specific game's board, someone has posted info good or bad about it.

Think i'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion

Offline Reza

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 12:06:42 pm »
Linux might have better performance in CPU/RAM heavy Games (if they work fine on Linux)

I would recommend dualboot, too. You can decrease your windows partition in Windows and install Peppermint on the same HDD (if there's enough disk space)

uhm. interesting. will try dual boot thanks :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 01:53:01 pm »

It really depends on whether the game is native DirectX or OpenGL.  Games that are native OpenGL won't have to be as heavily modified to run in Linux and their performance should be roughly the same.  Though, that can also depend on other factors, such as drivers.  DirectX games have to be converted to and optimized to run on OpenGL.  How well they do depends on who does the conversion and how good a job they do at it.  When they were first talking about Steam for Linux, Valve was talking up their OpenGL conversions of their games, such as the Half-Live and Portal series.  According to them, the test results showed improved performance on Linux with OpenGL over Windows with DirectX.

So, again, it all varies by game.

Another thing to factor in are games that aren't Linux compatible.  If you have any of those, you have to install Wine and install a second version of Steam, the .exe version.  You can't even download a game on Steam that's not compatible with your OS.  ::)  And, again, some games will run well, others not so much.  Wine has a notoriously bad history with Nvidia, whose products are the preferred choice of many Linux gamers.  They tend to have better driver support, according to most gamers.  That's especially true with Ubuntu 16.04, which Peppermint 7 will be based on.  AMD hasn't even released FGLRX or Catalyst drivers for 16.04, so they're not in the repositories.  ???