Author Topic: Odd little bug- tray eject button dies (abandoned for now)  (Read 1480 times)

Offline markba633csi

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6.0
My CD/DVD tray eject button works fine with an empty tray, then if I play an CD, stop the playback and try the eject button- no effect.  I can go to the "Disks" menu and use the "eject media from drive" soft button, always works. 
This is a HP DV1000 laptop,  1.6 Ghz, 2g ram. 
Peppermint 6,  have not yet installed all updates- should I do that first? 
Mark S.
Mt. View, Ca
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:10:33 pm by PCNetSpec »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Odd little bug- tray eject button dies
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:37:21 am »
Hi Markba633csi

Its a bit like the old cliche for IT Support  "Have you rebooted your pc" - so we can know where you are at, do a full system upgrade, via the update manager, see if it is still the same after.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:44:29 pm »
Because of a recently discovered vulnerability in glibc (all versions >= 2.9) which could allow remote code execution we're strongly advising people running Peppermint 3, 5, and 6 to update their system immediately.
Open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.
Copy & paste the following command into the terminal:

Code: [Select]
apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade
Install all updates is the first thing, good luck!
Cheers.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:54:48 pm »
Hi markba633csi, how's it going?  It's just as zebedeeboss and Alex have advised you.  It's really important that you run the updates and upgrades after an installation. 

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.  Alex has given you the commands already.  I'll repeat them to save you jumping screens.  Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window.

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors please click the Code: [Select] function below to highlight the contents. Click on the centre mouse button/wheel while the cursor is in the terminal window to paste the contents.

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.  There is NO indication of any user input.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the action you are trying to execute.

apt update && apt upgradeHit enter and enter your user password when asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.  After that has completed, continue with:
apt dist-upgradeHit enter and enter your user password if asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.

After the upgrade has completed, It's very important to reboot your machine.  It's highly likely that there will be a kernel upgrade.  That's it, you're up to date.  You'll know when updates are available when the shield in your panel has a blue exclamation mark.  You left click on it and follow the instructions.  You can also run the above commands anytime you want.  Did this resolve your issue?
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 05:43:44 am »
Does running
ejectopen the tray when it's stuck ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline markba633csi

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:30:34 am »
I am starting a new thread concerning my DVD playback.
Thanks everyone for trying to help
Mark S.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 11:20:16 am »
So what's wrong with this topic ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline markba633csi

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 12:33:39 pm »
Looks like I did updates but not upgrades, need to go back and check.  Also need to see if eject command has any effect.
Will report back later, marking topic as solved for now since I don't consider it an urgent matter.  Have other fish to fry.
Mark S.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Odd little bug- tray eject button dies (abandoned for now)
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 02:09:56 pm »
I'm unmarking it "solved for now", and marking it "abandoned for now" .. having "solved" in the title gives the impression an answer was found, so future searchers would stop and read the topic only to discover it was not solved.

But if updating solves the issue, please return and change it to (SOLVED) .. TIA :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:13:24 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec