Author Topic: What is your opinion about Distrowatch?  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
Re: What is your opinion about Distrowatch?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 09:53:01 am »
People have no reason to switch from Windows/Mac to Linux

There is an unfortunate one -- bad economy. Yesterday I replaced a struggling Windows Vista with Linux on an older system. The lady it concerns just doesn't have the money for a brand new computer. My offer to install Linux came as 'a gift from heaven', she said.

She wasn't the first one who went the Linux road because of that. One interesting note: they all love the transition and have no intention to go back to Windows.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 10:00:14 am »
I agree that this is a problem for many people. At the same time it is also a great misunderstanding by many people who believe that you must be a command line geek to use Linux.

Maybe we are to blame  ;D

When someone has a problem and we (accidentally) know how to fix it, nine out of ten times we start with "Open a terminal window and type the following:"

Code: [Select]
~ $ Insert some really scary command here
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 10:12:26 am »
Windows 10 costs $99.99 (USD) for a home disc and a product key that can be installed on one computer.  ???  Windows 8.1 is the same price.  Windows 7 is cheaper these days, but its life is getting shorter and shorter.  Now, these are OEM product keys, which is why they can only be installed on one computer.  Once you install it to a computer and activate the key, it marries itself to that same make/model of motherboard.  So, you can essentially only install it on that computer/motherboard.  If you have to replace the motherboard in a prebuilt computer, you have to either pay an outrageous price to get that exact same model of motherboard from the manufacturer or pay another $100 for another OEM Windows license (that marries itself to the replacement board.)  Microsoft does this intentionally, since they know that motherboards of any make/model are available only for a few years at most, meaning the likelihood of people having to buy a new license is greatly increased.  That is pure greed, which is also why they no longer offer the retail box version of Windows with a multi-use license.  When you go to upgrade to the next version of Windows, you have to pay another $100.  Or, you can get it for "free," the only price is your privacy.  (which you still don't have even on the $100 version)

Mac OS is much cheaper, but you have to use very specific hardware to build a Hackintosh, which is a custom built Mac where you hack the BIOs to accept Mac OS.  Also, you can't even buy the latest version because it's only available through their online software store.  Your only other option to use Mac OS is to spend around $1000 or more for an actual Mac.  Apple also spies on you, they're just more subtle about it and make it seem like more of an exciting feature that Microsoft does, so people love it.

Linux costs nothing.  Upgrading to the next version costs nothing.  Upgrading is really simple.  You can replace your motherboard or anything else on your system and it will accept the change without even reinstalling.  (Windows won't do that)  If you don't have fast Internet to download the OS, you can go to a bookstore with Linux magazines and, for a few dollars, buy a magazine that will come with a DVD that has multiple Linux operating systems on it.  Linux never spies on you.  It's nearly impossible to get a virus or to run malware with Linux.

I'd call that plenty of reason to ditch Microsoft and/or Apple in favor of Linux.

I agree that this is a problem for many people. At the same time it is also a great misunderstanding by many people who believe that you must be a command line geek to use Linux.

Maybe we are to blame  ;D

When someone has a problem and we (accidentally) know how to fix it, nine out of ten times we start with "Open a terminal window and type the following:"

Code: [Select]
~ $ Insert some really scary command here

We've discussed this in the past.  It's simpler to post command line codes than it is to show instructions the Microsoft Help way:

Go here, click this
Go here, click that
Click this, click that, click click click

VS

run this in a terminal

It's simply faster and more hassle free.  Plus, if people simply copy and paste the commands, it's a no-brainer.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
Great post scifidude

well said :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 12:19:53 pm »
What the heck are you drivelling on about man ? .. you "read somewhere" that Linux has a backdoor .. must be true then ::)

and...

In 21th century you have a terminal in Linux. Where is the terminal in android? It's the number 1 OS in the world.

Androd *does* have a terminal, it's just hidden from the user .. and are you saying Linux shouldn't have an all powerful terminal ? .. funny, but both Microsoft and Apple would disagree with you.

OS X has always had a terminal, and Microsoft added the "powershell" not long ago  :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:21:45 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:45 pm »
Even before adding the "powershell," Windows has always had a CLI.  It's called MSDOS-Prompt, or something like that.  Even in 2016, there are still things you can't do in Windows without it.

And, of course Android has a terminal.  Android is Linux.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Android is a mobile operating system (OS) currently developed by Google, based on the Linux kernel and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

It has to have a terminal somewhere.

Edit:  It's called Shell.  If you have an Android device, you'll find that listed under all apps.  You can even install a terminal emulator just like you can on any other Linus OS and run commands with it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:19:48 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 01:14:13 pm »
OS X has always had a terminal, and Microsoft added the "powershell" not long ago

And now they've even added the BASH shell :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 03:09:11 pm »
When I first started using Linux about four years ago, I considered the terminal a portal to hell.  It was avoided like my soul depended on it.  I'm one of these people who are never going to be satisfied with a stock Linux distro.  The answers I received to most of my queries, involved the terminal.  Within a month or so, I realised that the terminal as tool, is infinitely more powerful than just a GUI.  Far from it being an antiquated throwback.  It's a modern, fast way of getting things done with precision.  The first thing a server engineer does, is open up a terminal and fire up the vi Editor.  I'm as far from being a Linux server engineer as an elephant is to being a fish.  However, the terminal is the first thing I open up after booting.  It's my go to application when I want to get things done, or need to test things.   The reason being it's easy and saves time. 

Of course Android has a terminal, I've used it.  The Mac terminal is very similar to the Linux one.  This is due to their shared but estranged heritage.  Windows has realized the inadequacy of its own Command Prompt.  They're going to be offering BASH to their users - lucky Windows users  ;).

As for the fabled Year of Linux.  That's already happened.  It just didn't happen as we expected.  Linux is everywhere you look.  The desktop is just one facet and because the vast majority of desktop distros are non-profit.  Their market share becomes irrelevant.  The ones that are enterprise distros like, Red Hat and SUSE are doing really well.  The server market is dominated by Linux, as are the Supercomputers of the world.  Linux is the kernel of choice for embedded devices.  Whether it's your navigation system or in kitchen appliances, the scalability of the Linux kernel, makes it the ideal choice for manufacturers.  Linux is the most successful collaborative project in history.  The year of Linux is a thing of the past; it's already here and well established  ;).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:26:06 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.