Author Topic: What is your opinion about Distrowatch?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Alex

• View Profile
What is your opinion about Distrowatch?
« on: May 01, 2016, 02:56:34 pm »
Wikistats is better than distrowatch?
Peppermint is currently in 49 position in distrowatch. My question: how truthiness is distrowatch? You see a bunch of distros. In wikistats ubuntu is the number one linux OS with more users, followed by xubuntu and fedora . (for me it's more real).
Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:58:28 pm by Alex »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
Re: What is your opinion about Distrowatch?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:25:06 pm »
Hi Alex, how's it going?  Yeah, that's a good question.  I like to use DistroWatch only as a very loose reference point.  I really don't pay much attention to the statistics.  These are only indicating the number of people who've visited these distros's websites through DistroWatch.  They don't provide any statistical information on the amount of downloads though.  This can be really confusing, especially to someone new to Linux.  It caught me out.  While it can give a very loose indication of interest.  It can't be taken as an accurate representation of usage.  You'll see what I mean when Peppermint Seven is released.  Our weekly ratings will indicate we're in the top 3 or 4 distros - Woohoo  ;)!!  The reality is, it's only people viewing our website because it's a new release.  Within a month, it'll settle down again and we'll probably be back down in the mid table.  This doesn't mean I won't use the artificially high stats to sing the praises of Peppermint Seven on the web  ;).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:21:39 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:55:15 pm »
Hi Alex,

AndyInMokum is right.  It's pretty well understood within the world of Linux that we here at Pepprmint have an excellent, well-maintained distribution.  We tend to serve a group of users who do not need everything, often including a kitchen sink, thrown into their distribution.  Peppermint tends to be light and fast, good on system resources, and very flexible for personalization .  Also, our support forum cannot be matched anywhere.  All these things are pretty well understood within the Linux community.  And, still, like AndyInMokum said, we'll most likely climb very high in the rankings of DistroWatch after Peppermint 7's release, and then, over time, we'll sink lower in the rankings as newer releases of other distributions make their own way to DistroWatch ad other reviews.  This is only natural:  Enthusiastic users will want to download these other distributions in order to try them out.  I did this for a long time myself, and I still do it once in a while.

This is why I no longer pay much attention to where Peppermint stands at any point of time within DistroWatch.  I just doesn't matter much. (Although it's always fun to watch us peak for a while after a release!)  Still, I really like DistroWatch a lot.   But I like DistoWatch a lot now for different reasons.  It informs us about the new releases of other distributions, and because of its many excellent reviews.  Also, I find it interesting to see what China, Cuba, Turkey, and Russia are doing, or not doing as in the case of Cuba, with their distributions that are often state-sponsored,  I use DistroWatch as a way to gauge world politics and international relationships through how it handles open source software --mostly Linux.  I have found that following DistroWatch the best way to do this.  I mean I don't read this stuff everyday, but I still find all these things very interesting. ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:28:24 pm »
I love DistroWatch.  It's thanks to that site that I'm here.  I was on there in mid-late 2010 and a new distro called Peppermint popped up as a "random distro" on a page.  I was already running Mint, so I decided to try Peppermint and I fell in love.

Though, I mainly just visit the site to keep track of other distros I like and look for new things to try.  I also like DistroWatch Weekly.  I also ignore the page hit rankings for the very reason Andy listed.  It's a fun thing when Peppermint gets a boost, but we take it with a grain of salt.  This forum is more telling of Peppermint's true popularity.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »
Hi Alex,

I'm a DistroWatch Weekly reader too. I find it very informative and fair. Forget those statistics -- even DistroWatch itself does not put much value in it.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:12:37 pm »
Though, I mainly just visit the site to keep track of other distros I like and look for new things to try.

I'm exactly the same, the stats mean nothing to me

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 12:42:02 am »
I like Distrowatch. When it comes to the stats the guys at Distrowatch are very clear about how these should interpreted:

The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.

That said, I fully understand how proud people can be when their distro ranks high on the list. Linux Mint users brag about their everlasting #1 position all the time  ;D
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 12:49:24 am »
Wikistats is better than distrowatch?
Peppermint is currently in 49 position in distrowatch. My question: how truthiness is distrowatch? You see a bunch of distros. In wikistats ubuntu is the number one linux OS with more users, followed by xubuntu and fedora . (for me it's more real).
Cheers.

Hi Alex

Can you provide a link to the site you are referring too... just searching google for wikistats brings up too many results

Thanks
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 03:00:29 am »
I would be interested in the market share of Linux /BSD if you take all devices into account (servers, routers, mobile devices, IoT, etcetera). I'm not sure if there's any website around with reliable data on that.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:44:30 am »
I don't think Distrowatch stats tell us very much but I do feel since the PM6 release Peppermint user base has increased significantly but that's just a gut feeling,

Accurate stats seem to be a problem throughout Linux in general, due mainly to the open source/free nature of Linux distributions there isn't any accurate reliable data to work on and estimates vary between 1% and 6% depending on who made the estimates and what metrics are used, there is Linux Counters but that's reliant on users volunteering to register so is only likely to give a minimum figure at best.

Whatever the true figures are it doesn't look like we'll ever see the elusive Year of the Linux desktop but I have a feeling 2016 will be a good year for Peppermint and Linux in general, there's more to come from Valve and Steamos, Wayland is well on the way and other projects like Vulcan, Mycroft and many others look set to make 2016 a great year for Linux

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 03:55:38 am »
Hi emegra

Totally agree accept I think Wayland maybe a dead duck... they were trying to get it put into 12.10 and here we are with 16.04 and it's still not available.

They seem to have their minds elsewhere, the look and feel of the basic Ubuntu hasn't changed in God knows how long.

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 05:48:02 am »
Don't write off Wayland, there's a reason Gnome have been putting a lot of Wayland improvements into 3.18 / 3.19 / 3.20
https://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2016/01/22/a-wayland-status-update-2/

it's taking a while, but then untangling X from Linux is a MASSIVE job .. much more than just replacing one piece of software with another.

it's also reliant on third parties who have been dragging their feet .. but it's getting there ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:52:08 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 06:24:19 am »
It's  taking a while, but then untangling X from Linux is a MASSIVE job

That's how I see it I don't think it's so much a question of "Is Wayland ready for Linux" so much as "Is Linux ready for Wayland"

Graeme

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 08:40:06 am »
A lot of people seem to think that there will be a "year of Linux". I disagree. Here's why:
People have no reason to switch from Windows/Mac to Linux
Nobody cares about the command line
The CPU kernel virtual layer is superior on Windows
I want to know what other people think about this. I think that Linux on the desktop will always be there, but it will just be for a niche market ("techies")
Thanks for the answers.
Have a nice week.

Hi Alex

Firstly - Thanks for the link I will check it out when its working.

Secondly - The bit about Windows users have no reason to switch - I would have agreed 100% until Windows 10 came along and turned too much like Apple Software.  YOU WILL DO IT OUR WAY - people don't like being dictated too - people don't like being spied on - now whether you believe it is to the massive extent that some people say is neither here nor there. Windows now imposes itself on users more than it ever did and so some people will leave windows and join Linux. We are seeing it already.     Will there be enough to make a difference?  I doubt it but they will move across.

Now I have left the best to last...  If your statement regarding the CPU kernel virtual layer were true...   Why are the Worlds Servers running on Linux and not windows ?  Go and check any webstat page you want and they will show Linux rules supreme.  Multibillion $ corporations running on Linux not Windows...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:03:58 am by zebedeeboss »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 08:44:11 am »
Hi Alex,

I'm unsure if this is your quote or from someone on reddit:

People have no reason to switch from Windows/Mac to Linux

But that is only true for people who:
  • Do not care about privacy of personal data and security.
  • Do not mind paying for products (Apple or M$) when they can get essentially the same (and often better) functionality with "free" software (for which they only need to pay whatever they think it is worth (Linux / Open Source Software).
Nobody cares about the command line

I agree that this is a problem for many people. At the same time it is also a great misunderstanding by many people who believe that you must be a command line geek to use Linux.

As for the CPU kernel virtual layer: I agree with zebedeeboss.

Regards,

-- Slim
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:46:28 am by Slim.Fatz »
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome