Choose style:

Author Topic: Nvidia FPS drops with Borderlands 2 and not the Pre  (Read 184 times)

Offline drakken

• nOOb
  • I have found my new #!. And this is better.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9_x64
Nvidia FPS drops with Borderlands 2 and not the Pre
« on: April 11, 2019, 01:16:19 am »
Gents.

I am having some issues when it comes to gaming on my desktop. I have the current Nvidia drivers installed. Tis on my desktop in my sig, When I install Pep from and old install around 2 ago? I do not get the screen tearing and what not. With the current iteration of  pep? Frame rates in games like Borderlands via Steam really suck. Should I install an older version? I don't get why the Pre-squel is just fine under the same version of Proton while B2 is damn near unplayable.
 I will post anything else to help get this sorted, but it is on my desktop in my sig'
V/R
drakken
Acer Aspire 4520 (Dual core) 4gig ram: Pep9-64bit
Hp  slim line desktop (Dual core) 4gig:Pep-9 64bit
Thinkpad x220 (Quad) 4 gig-Pep-9 64bit
Home built AMD FX-6300-32GB ram- Nvidia GTX 750. Tri-monitor- Pep-9-64bit

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Nvidia FPS drops with Borderlands 2 and not the Pre
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:42:30 am »
Well Peppermint 7 is still supported so you could go that route .. but hopefully a gamer (with nvidia) may be able to shed a little more light, problem is that's not me, I'm not a gamer I'm afraid.

Might help them to better answer if you posted the output from:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fz
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 06:05:23 pm »
How bad of a drop are you talking? 60 to 40? 30? 20?

So, this is a Steam game? Have you tried asking about it on their forums? I find that you can get (sometimes) better answers about issues with Steam games on their forums.

I do game and I have Borderlands 2, but I haven't fired it up in ages. Probably not even on Peppermint 9. Also, I usually don't monitor the FPS when I play games, so it has to drop significantly (well under 30 FPS) for me to even notice.

Offline drakken

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 12:12:04 am »
o7 Gents,

I have done a bit of looking here and there as I have had time, but I what I find odd is there no frame drop rate with The Pre sequel with the same Proton instance within steam that I get with BL2.   :-\ This is something that might need to be sorted out with the up coming release of BL3. Everything else with Peppermint 9 on my gear is really great.  :D

I am not willing to distro hop again.. I will update when I figure this all out. If I can. >:( I am starting to wonder if there is an issue with the version of proton in the peppermint repos and if I install the needed repo stuffs from ubuntu that it might break my current install. I only game on this rig:CPU~6 core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-MCP-) speed/max~1404/3500 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-47-generic x86_64 Up~24 min Mem~1386.9/24135.9MB HDD~2008.5GB(2.3% used) Procs~240 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56.

I will do a bit more looking as I have time being that I am still looking @  something like gtile for the current user experience in Pep.  As I said, if I can't get this sorted?  :-\ Tis not a reason to leave Peppermint in the dust. This distro is simply awesome. I have other endeavors, that I can use my time on, and tbh? Might be better in the long run.

V/R,
drakken 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:42:54 am »
Good luck, and please let us know if you find a solution.

Out of interest, have you tested it in any other 18.04 based distro ? .. just so we know if it's something specific to Peppermint (which I doubt as we have the same versions of wine/steam/graphics drivers as any other 18.04 based distros).

BTW, 'proton' isn't really a package in the repos .. I gather it's more part of the steam client (or possibly wine) .. where did you get the steam client and wine from ?

[EDIT]

Even though I'm not convinced this is a 'Peppermint' specific problem, I really wish I could afford to get myself a game rig (and have the inclination to game) so I could become more 'au fait' with this kinda thing and possibly make Peppermint better .. maybe one day.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:58:01 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline drakken

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 12:18:10 am »
Sorry for the late reply Gents.

Had to do a bit of looking about, and while I still trying to muck out the issue with the dropped frames? I think it comes from the kernel revision used with pep 4.15 and not 4.17 that I have with PopOS. I cannot install the correct Nvidia drivers without some flatpack stuffs. And it kinda works. I am starting to think it might be an issue with ARandr being that I have 2 1920x1080 monitors and a 1280x1024 in the middle hooked up to the same computer. I get issues with wallpapers and scaling when I move windows around. So I might take the middle monitor out of the mix and see what that does.  >:( 
 I still have Pep installed on the other computers in my sig and I simply love this distro. But I do not game on those computers. They are nodes in my house that I access information from or use for work/learning youtube etc. :'(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 07:15:37 am »
Have you tried switching to the HWE track, which will give you the 4.18 kernel and graphics stack ?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

this should be the command you're after
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04
once that finishes, REBOOT

then check your kernel version with
uname -a

Your other option would be to await Peppermint 10 which is in private pre-release testing right now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:18:01 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec