Choose style:

Author Topic: Can Peppermint OS be used in a business setting?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline _tuter

• 18 yrs old - Distro Hopper - Peppermint Lover
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint OS 6!!
Can Peppermint OS be used in a business setting?
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:24:03 pm »
I was wondering if there are any restrictions/requirements to use Pep OS 4 in a non-profit business setting? I did see that one user was doing the same thing, using it for a business. But I think that some Distros do have "hidden restrictions" as to what you can and can't use that distro for, and as soon as you do, you may have to pay for furher use. I don't believe that peppermint os does put these "restrictions," but just wondering. I am attempting to get an organization to make the switch to Linux, but just making sure that I actually can use this distro with in its limits i guess, and not go against what it was intended for.

If any of this rambling makes sense to you please respond

Thanks,
_tuter

EDIT: I believe that I have been misinformed, you don't have to pay to use, but to receive support?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:11:21 am by _tuter »
:) _tuter :)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Can Peppermint OS be used in a business setting?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 02:44:37 am »
Hi tuter

It's a reasonable question but as far as I'm aware Peppermintos is free software which means there are no licencing restrictions to it's use whether it's for profit or non profit use, you are free to use the software for whatever purpose you wish and install it on as many PC as you wish

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline _tuter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:29:32 am »
Hi tuter

It's a reasonable question but as far as I'm aware Peppermintos is free software which means there are no licencing restrictions to it's use whether it's for profit or non profit use, you are free to use the software for whatever purpose you wish and install it on as many PC as you wish

Graeme

Thanks graeme for you're reply!! I am very excited to hear this news as i will be attempting to get an organization to make the switch to pep OS!! I believe that it is very simple yet elegant and easy enough to migrate from windows XP. It's a great starting os, and i have already had one friend make the migration to pep os

Thanks,
_tuter

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 06:53:35 am »
As long as you don't distribute a modified Peppermint ISO image with the Peppermint name/logo/artwork still in place .. then do what you want with it ;)

In other words - If you modify the ISO image it's no longer Peppermint, so don't leave the Peppermint branding in place if you plan to distribute it .. beyond that there are no restrictions.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:15:43 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline _tuter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:49:40 am »
As long as you don't distribute a modified Peppermint ISO image with the Peppermint name/logo/artwork still in place .. then do what you want with it ;)

In other words - If you modify the ISO image it's no longer Peppermint, so don't leave the Peppermint branding in place if you plan to distribute it .. beyond that there are no restrictions.

Awesome!!! Thanks PCNetSpec, I have no intentions of modifying the iso, so nothing to worry about there!! Thank you for your reply also.

Thanks,
_tuter

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:20:20 pm »
To add a little clarification, most Linux distributions, Peppermint included, contain a wide array of software covered under many open source licenses. Typically some of these licenses are fairly "loose" in their restrictions (MIT license, BSD license, etc) and others are much more strict (like the GNU General Public License). Most of what these licenses cover are terms for modification and redistribution of the associated software. Because these licenses allow for modification and redistribution, they're commonly referred to as "Open Source". It's extremely rare for an open source license to cover terms of use for the software. Some of the looser, less strict licenses allow for modification and redistribution of code into other open source projects as well as into commercial and/or proprietary projects while some of the stricter ones govern very specific terms associated with including licensed code into non open source projects. For example, the GPL doesn't allow for the inclusion of licensed code into any distributed projects unless those projects are also licensed under the GPL (thus guaranteeing the free distribution of the code in the future). Naturally there are extremes, for instance the WTFPL dictates that code licensed under it can be used for quite literally anything without restriction.

At some point, people will wonder why certain code is licensed at all and it comes down to intellectual property laws. Without a license to explicitly state what is and what is not allowed with the software, there is the risk that the author of the code could attempt to seek legal recourse against people using the code in the future. As such, software not licensed to be used without restriction and also be freely distributed usually never makes it into the official repositories of any Linux distribution. Some distributions have separate repositories for software covered unless less free licenses, but these typically have to be explicitly added by the user.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline _tuter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 01:13:46 pm »
Thanks Kendall!!