Choose style:

Author Topic: Updating Pepperflash After Fresh Installaion [SOLVED]  (Read 11534 times)

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
Re: Updating Pepperflash After Fresh Installaion [SOLVED]
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 05:37:52 am »
You don't really need Flashblock to achieve that result...  ;)

Go into your browser settings and set flash to click to play/ask to activate. Google Chrome, Chromium and Firefox all have these or similar settings available! All my browsers are setup in this manner.

Example: Set Adobe Flash to "click to play" on Firefox

Hope this helps!  ;)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 06:58:33 am »
Good morning, Peppermint!

Let me just say from the start, you're all better men than me.  How you guys navigate this labyrinth of Firefox and Flash I will never understand.  And, secondly, why in the world we would even want Flash, especially with all the video-based advertisements out there, and the risks involved when running Flash, I will never understand that either. 

But, for a starter, am I right about these things?  We're working with Shockwave Flash here, and Adobe no longer supports Firefox, and there will be no automatic updates?  Am I understanding these things correctly?

If I am, I should just install Flash Block, and the sooner the better --issue solved!  Or are we talking about another kind of Flash here.  One that I know little or nothing about?

Thank you,

perknh
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 07:33:57 am »
If you're not bothering installing flasplugin-installer (flashplayer for firefox) then there's no need for flashblock

personally I *do* have flashplugin-installer, but I stop flash from being loaded with flashblock .. it allows a more fine grained approach than the browsers flash 'switch' (which is more on/off for the whole page), flashblock blocks individual flash elements on a page from loading unless you click on them, so you can choose to say watch a flash video without allowing the flash adverts on the same page.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 07:58:16 am »

But, for a starter, am I right about these things?  We're working with Shockwave Flash here, and Adobe no longer supports Firefox, and there will be no automatic updates?  Am I understanding these things correctly?

No. It's not officially supported, it's a Linux workaround. It WILL be updated as normal with your other packages.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 11:52:44 am »
I just use the Flashblock plugin.  In the Flashbock preferences, you might want to uncheck the disable HTML5 video.  That way, these will automatically start.   There are other Flash blocking plugins too.  Have a play around.   I find it a great solution  ;).

Hi AndyInMokum,

I installed Flashblock (American version), but for whatever reason, I was not able to open or configure it.  After that I found an extension called Flash Control, and it has this list: 

Disable Flash Control
Block Adobe Flash (Checked by default)
Block HTML5 Video (I unchecked this)
Block HTML5 Audio (Question mark ?  Don't know what to do about this one.)
Block Hidden HTML5 Audio
Override Ajax Anchor [1]
 ([1] Applicable ONLY to Youtube and Hulu. (I don't know what this means.)

I think I'm good here, though.  Thank you!  :) 

If you're not bothering installing flasplugin-installer (flashplayer for firefox) then there's no need for flashblock

personally I *do* have flashing-installer, but I stop flash from being loaded with flashblock .. it allows a more fine grained approach than the browsers flash 'switch' (which is more on/off for the whole page), flashblock blocks individual flash elements on a page from loading unless you click on them, so you can choose to say watch a flash video without allowing the flash adverts on the same page.

Maybe because I had enabled Canonical Partners, I found I had flashplugin-installer already installed --thank goodness!  As I had mentioned to Andy above, I could not open Flash Block or configure it at all --said something about being an American version.

I've enabled  HTML5 video.  I believe that HTML5 is a safe and secure technology and that all HTML5 formats can be enabled.

No. It's not officially supported, it's a Linux workaround. It WILL be updated as normal with your other packages.

I found a place in Firefox where I can check a box and have add-ons updated automatically.  And it might have be already checked by default, I don't recall.

Thank you, everyone within this thread, for your help, suggestions, and insights here.  That was an adventure.  But, I'll still be even happier when Flash goes away for good.  It's a real PITA --if you know what I mean! *  ;)

perknh

* I mean "Plug in the Answer", or course!  ;D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 06:39:24 pm »
It looks like you're hot to trot  ;).  I'd enable anything HTML5.  The HTML5 audio option, I guess is for sites like, the BBC iPlayer Radio.   Hopefully, sites like this will start being responsible and drop Flash soon.  Unfortunately, persuading people and corporations to quit using Flash, is harder than weaning a junkie off heroin.  There's no logical reason for it's continued use.  It's an unwanted imposition that's long overdue retirement  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 06:54:18 pm »
Andy, incidentally I discovered that you can listen to live BBC radio in VLC. You can just open it, press Play and put the link into the Network tab.

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 07:18:07 pm »
Andy, incidentally I discovered that you can listen to live BBC radio in VLC. You can just open it, press Play and put the link into the Network tab.

You know what, I've never looked into these VLC functions.  It's always been something I'm going to do.  I'll now have to look into this.  This is very interesting, thanks for the link  ;).

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 07:51:31 pm »
This has been an interesting thread.  I haven't made a commitment to Firefox myself yet (That's a big leap for me.),  but I am discovering its virtues.  I wonder if I'll be able to get BBC on this side of the Big Pond.  I suppose it wouldn't surprise you guys to learn that I'm a dedicated Public Radio listener myself --New Hampshire Radio and National Public Radio M-F, and the show On the Media on Sundays!  ;)

Also I never even knew there was such a thing as Hidden HTML5 Audio until today.  I'll search our Peppermint DDG about that one really soon.

Now my friend's Peppermint 6 installation will have Flash when he needs it, but without much of the mischief Flash can cause.  I really appreciate all of the help I got here.

Thank you. 

perknh

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 08:02:17 pm »

You know what, I've never looked into these VLC functions.  It's always been something I'm going to do.  I'll now have to look into this.  This is very interesting, thanks for the link  ;).
It also works really well using Clementine.  I have to use a UK VPN.  However, that's not an issue.  It's streaming 128k stereo without a hitch and the sound quality is top notch thanks to the Clementine Audio Player.  The 320k stereo is a bit choppy.  That's due to my ISP though.  Curse KPN, they suck with their throttling.  Thanks for the inspiration  ;).

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2016, 08:23:05 pm »
It also works really well using Clementine.  I have to use a UK VPN.  However, that's not an issue.  It's streaming 128k stereo without a hitch and the sound quality is top notch thanks to the Clementine Audio Player.  The 320k stereo is a bit choppy.  That's due to my ISP though.  Curse KPN, they suck with their throttling.  Thanks for the inspiration  ;).

I don't have to use a VPN in Poland, however when the football commentary comes on I get cut off with a looped message about "rights reasons".

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2016, 08:25:36 pm »
This has been an interesting thread.  I haven't made a commitment to Firefox myself yet (That's a big leap for me.),  but I am discovering its virtues.  I wonder if I'll be able to get BBC on this side of the Big Pond.  I suppose it wouldn't surprise you guys to learn that I'm a dedicated Public Radio listener myself --New Hampshire Radio and National Public Radio M-F, and the show On the Media on Sundays!  ;)

Also I never even knew there was such a thing as Hidden HTML5 Audio until today.  I'll search our Peppermint DDG about that one really soon.

Now my friend's Peppermint 6 installation will have Flash when he needs it, but without much of the mischief Flash can cause.  I really appreciate all of the help I got here.

Thank you. 

perknh
If you're just listening to the radio, you'll be able to use the, BBC iPlayer Radio as there's no restrictions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio,  If you want to view TV shows, you'll need to use a UK proxy server or a UK VPN.  You should also have a UK TV License: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/.  This is the way the BBC is funded - supposedly  :-X.  Naturally, because you live abroad, the cheque is held up in the post >:D!!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 09:39:27 pm »
This is the way the BBC is funded - supposedly  :-X.  Naturally, because you live abroad, the cheque is held up in the post >:D!!

I hear you, Andy.  The checks only go in one direction around here anyway, and that's outbound.  ;D

But, yes, you are right, I do get BBC radio.  And thank you for these other links:  These are great!

Oh, by the way, Flash Control is better in Firefox than in Chromium.  There are more options.

Wish I could get rid of the system title bar and borders in Firefox, as well as widen and darken the font on the bookmarks bar.  I have to admit, Firefox does have a lot going for it.

perknh

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 11:21:14 pm »
Wish I could get rid of the system title bar and borders in Firefox, as well as widen and darken the font on the bookmarks bar.  I have to admit, Firefox does have a lot going for it.

Not quite sure what you mean by "borders", but if you want some extra screen real-estate in Firefox, here's 2 addons for you

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/hide-caption-titlebar-plus-sma/
or for Americans
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hide-caption-titlebar-plus-sma/

and

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/bookmark-autohider/
or for Americans
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bookmark-autohider/

The results...

(click image to enlarge)

That's about the same size as Chrome at thee top (without the bookmarks bar) .. and if you keep the bookmarks bar in both, Firefox bookmarks bar is thinner than Chromes.
You don't loose the menu's either .. that's what that "Firefox" buttons for :)

There's a jazzilion addons and themes for Firefox .. WAY more than Chrome.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:24:32 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 03:03:46 pm »
There's a jazzilion addons and themes for Firefox .. WAY more than Chrome.

Heh !  Seems like we've always had the same predilection for dark themes    ;D

And, you're right !  Not only are there a jazzillion addons for Fx, but many of them are unique - the DTA download manager and ability to run tabs on the bottom come to mind.  It just requires some discovery time, finding out what works for you, and what doesn't.

IMO, almost everything in Fx needs to be scaled, e.g. everything appears too large by default.  It's as if Fx is designed for the visually impaired, but that's probably just me.

Anyway, here's how I roll with Fx ...