Author Topic: Deepin DE Alongside Peppermint? [Abandonado]  (Read 8264 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Deepin DE Alongside Peppermint? [Abandonado]
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
Thanks so much, PCNetSpec, for taking the time yesterday to investigate the problem I was having with installing Deepin* alongside Peppermint.  Clearly, the time has not yet come when we can do so with any sense of ease. 

Now that I know I can use almost any DE alongside Peppermint, I feel less desire to wander off the reservation.  Xfce Peppermint is a smash hit alongside Peppermint proper.  My next project will be to run GNOME alongside Peppermint.  But, I hope never to put you, or anyone else for that matter, though what you went yesterday with DDE.  It was, at least for me, an educational experience, and I thank you for it.  :)

perknh

P.S.

*To those who are itching to try Deepin, may I suggest Manjaro's Deepin right now.  Forget, for the time being, the Debian or Ubuntu-based Deepin DEs.  They're not THERE yet --I promise!!!  ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 10:06:42 am »
Hi perknh

I have tried all three and to be honest - the problem is getting answers from the DEVS in China... language barriers and such. On top of that the Repo's are so damn slow to update anything...   messing around with you the other day here in Peppermint, installing stuff was stating HOURS not minutes to install  lol.

Just as an aside...  Have you looked at Budgie...  I am sure Ikey will kill me for saying so but his Raven side panel gives me serious "Deja Vu"  :P :P :P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:10:09 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

P10r x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 10:43:46 am »
Hi perknh

I have tried all three and to be honest - the problem is getting answers from the DEVS in China... language barriers and such. On top of that the Repo's are so damn slow to update anything...   messing around with you the other day here in Peppermint, installing stuff was stating HOURS not minutes to install  lol.

Just as an aside...  Have you looked at Budgie...  I am sure Ikey will kill me for saying so but his Raven side panel gives me serious "Deja Vu"  :P :P :P

Hi zebedeeboss,

Over time I've come to realize I just as soon stay here within our Peppermint community and then just add another DE from within our own distribution than wander off elsewhere.  Yeah, Deepin is not the way to go yet --at least not within the Debian/Ubuntu branches of Linux.  It is truly a charming DE --but it has to be able to be installed, and then it has be able to function.  Right now it does neither of these things for us.  :( 

I hear, and have been hearing for a long time, that Budgie is the desktop of the future, but that it is still rough around the edges. That's about all I know about it, zebedeeboss.

perknh
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm