Choose style:

Author Topic: There is no public key available for the following key IDs (SOLVED)  (Read 8417 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: There is no public key available for the following key IDs
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 09:47:09 am »
If I may ask, how did I mess things up, so that I had to be dug out of this mess?

And, do you, and Mac, just whip this code off the top of your heads?

Most likely YOU didn't "mess things up", perknh.

I've had this happen in the past, for no apparent reason -- usually after a release-upgrade.   Something belches, and it corrupts one or more of your stored keys.  I've had to go in and fix multiple keys -- a whole page of them, one at a time -- which is a real PITA.

I cannot speak for Mac or Mark or others -- we all have our way of doing things -- but, yes, I try to relegate as much "code" (and commands) as possible to my head.  It's a memory game I play with myself.  One of the tricks I use is word association.  After all, storing code and commands in your head is closely akin to expanding your vocabulary.

If a problem, like the above, occurs infrequently, I 'cheat' by documenting the problem and the fix in Gnote -- or on the web.  The only problem with that is -- your notes and/or the web aren't always available to you -- for instance, when you are sleeping on an idea, daydreaming about something, and so forth.

As a general rule, you're better off storing this info in your head.

That said, I couldn't remember the 'apt-key' command to save my life -- and, I couldn't find it in my Gnote data.  Word association didn't work.  And, it happens to me so infrequently, I couldn't find do a Google Search on myself, and find any web postings I had made on this topic in the past.

Expounding on that last point...  Yes, when you do this long enough -- and all else fails -- you can actually rely on the search engines to spur your memory.  That's one of the benefits you get by helping others, e.g. you help yourself -- with the search bots looking over your shoulder, the whole time, and recording everything for posterity.   8)

Hopefully that gives you a little insight on how we work our magic.  It isn't voodoo.  It's just a matter of being methodical and using whatever works for you, in conjunction with  your particular mental processes. 

I'll stop now.  This discussion doesn't really belong in the 'Support' Forum...  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 09:55:13 am »
Aww .. I prefer "voodoo and frog licking", *then* Google.. but then we all have our own methods :)

[EDIT]

I'm not too bothered about a small amount of "discussion" in a support topic AFTER the initial issue is solved .. and if the "discussion" is started by the OP and doesn't get too out of hand :)

Later readers looking for a solution are likely to start at the beginning anyway.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:05:32 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 10:06:34 am »
Aww .. I prefer "voodoo and frog licking", *then* Google.. but then we all have our own methods :)

LoL!   :D

Only voodoo I know about in Linux et al. is that @#$! LightDM program.

I swear, that author must have come from the planet Stewjon...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 10:15:17 am »
Hey, Martk Shuttleworth waves his hand, and mutters under his breath .. and in the next release certain things either disappear or magically no longer work .. that HAS to be some kinda south african voodoo right there.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:28:03 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 11:37:21 am »
Hey, Martk Shuttleworth waves his hand, and mutters under his breath .. and in the next release certain things either disappear or magically no longer work .. that HAS to be some kinda south african voodoo right there.

Heh!  He actually responded to one of my loquacious posts on Launchpad.  Peeps were on a rant about how you can't change the look n' feel of Unity.  I said, sure you can - you just need to use GS to manipulate Unity.  And, I'll make Unity look however I want -  nobody is going to stop me, blah, blah, blah.  I finished with, "Nobody ever stopped Mark Shuttleworth, right Mark?"   I figured I would be banned from Launchpad, but Mark S. came back with, "Well put."   8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 11:39:52 am »
Unity .. further evidence of the satanic arts in Linux, and that Shuttleworth has his horns filed down every morning by contorted naked succubi >:D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 11:52:27 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: There is no public key available for the following key IDs (Solved)
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 10:07:13 am »
I always suspected you guys were using magic, and now I know you do!

By the way, after running those last commands my Peppermint 4 OS is blazingly fast.  I can't imagine that Peppermint 5 will work any better than this.

And thank you, VinDSL, for giving me some thoughts on an approach for learning code and commands. 

I've learned a few commands:

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, sudo apt-get install, sudo apt-get remove, sudo apt-get autoremove, sudo apt-get purge.

Then,  sudo ufw status, sudo apt-get install ufw, sudo ufw default deny incoming, sudo ufw default allow outgoing, sudo ufw enable

And that's about it, but it's a start!

[close]

As for Jimmy Henson's frogs -- thanks for the tip!

;)

perknh

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:17:20 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum