Choose style:

Author Topic: Stopping SIS Graphics Flicker?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 8 on 386, Pep 9 on AMD 64
Stopping SIS Graphics Flicker?
« on: April 25, 2016, 03:01:12 am »
I am getting more accustomed to my laptop and naturally I have to have SIS graphics that make all SDL apps flicker. I know I ask a lot of this forum. So I tried searching on the issue. The best link looks to be this one
Code: [Select]
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2060174
That is way over my comfort or knowledge level. I wonder if our forum as any other advice/ information.
Code: [Select]
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
           X.Org: 1.16.0 driver: vesa Resolution: 1280x768@61.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2

Regards
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:08:59 am by Brotherred »
"Those that don't know pay for it. My currency is pride"

Offline Capivara

• Devoted To Daemons & Penguins
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6, 7
Re: Stopping SIS Graphics Flicker?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 03:36:28 am »
Your driver is vesa. This means that, although you will be able to get a decent screen resolution by using a tailored xorg.conf, you can not access the SiS chipset's built-in extra functionality, like 3D acceleration.

SiS is a PITA. There is a driver for SiS, but that one will only work (sometimes!) if the code base of your Peppermint version is equal to, or older than 12.04. Anything more modern and the driver won't work, which will limit you to the vesa/xorg.conf workaround you are probably using too now. And that workaround equals poor performance.
If you like Linux, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.

Offline Brotherred

• No0b
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Pep 8 on 386, Pep 9 on AMD 64
Re: Stopping SIS Graphics Flicker?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:28:45 pm »
Ok thanx for filling me in. REALLY. I know that SIS drivers are junk. But did not know any of the back ground for this card. Did I some how miss that in the link that I posted?
"Those that don't know pay for it. My currency is pride"