Choose style:

Author Topic: Game Problems  (Read 1450 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wade

  • nOOb
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: 0
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Game Problems
« on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:22 pm »
I had a problem with Patrician 3. It started crashing TDT. I found a post that fixed that. Now Patrician 4 will not play, says it's missing something. I think the game key, I was never prompted for it like in windows. I used wine installer to install. I probably do not know how to install.

Offline murraymint

  • Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: 335
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Game Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:12:58 pm »
Hi Wade, welcome :)

Is this your game: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=23763
or this? https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21301

That site has a database of which programs are known to work in Wine, and how well. You'll see that the standard version is rated "garbage", ie not working, and the Steam one works with bugs. You might pick up some advice on there to get it working, I hope. Good luck!


Offline Alex

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 98
  • Karma: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Game Problems
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 02:33:12 pm »
I don't play games and i don 't no how to help you to solve your problem. But i give you a website link to play millions of retrogames if you like. Online games without this thing called Wine.
Cheers.
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games&tab=collection
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:55:41 pm by Alex »

Offline Wade

  • nOOb
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: 0
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Re: Game Problems
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:44:32 pm »
Officially lost. :-\ sorry but all the answers about installing fix its, are lost on me. I barely got the game to install. much different than windows. i did get the crashing to stop on P-3 thanks to a post from much earlier. i just turned off weather effects, works great. i do miss the bunny tracks in the snow though. :( as far as p4 goes, it stays in the box, unless someone gives me step by step, and re step instruction. i just don't understand the language. i'd be willing to do by phone, i'd even buy a cup of coffee. P3 did crash twice other times, but i think it self fixed.?! if that's possible used to be that when the game first started in the opening of game introduction, it had a small black window that said auto adjusting. did that about a dozen or so times, paid no attention. it just went away on its own. thank,s to all who help those who need assistance.

Offline josephd

  • Trusted User
  • Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 337
  • Karma: 102
  • WordPress Developer
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Game Problems
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:49:49 am »
Linux support especially in graphics can be tricky. I spend a lot of time playing XCOM2 and Feraxis only has one developer expert dedicated to the Linux port. Sometimes we just have to submit a bug report and hope for the best.

As a consumer I only game in Linux and hope the developers notice.

When 95% of gamers are buying software designed for Windows the other 5% is a bit of a loss leader.
Joseph Dickson | www.linuxbookpro.com | www.joseph-dickson.com | https://twitter.com/joe4ska - "I also enjoy Debian Stable, Pop!_OS, and Trisquel."

Offline AndyInMokum

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 4808
  • Karma: 1012
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Game Problems
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:37:30 am »
Hi Wade, what you're experiencing is really a  WINE issue rather than a Peppermint specific one.  While we can help with problems installing WINE.  The actual use of it with a specific Windows based game/programme is best answered in their forum.  Unless anyone in the Peppermint community has experienced your specific WINE issue.  It's highly unlikely you'll get a solution.  If you're going to use WINE, I suggest you bookmark this link: https://www.winehq.org/.  You'll be able to access their database.  Here you'll find the functionality ratings for Windows games and programmes.  You'll also find a link to the WINE user forum.  I think you'll find a solution, (if there is one) to your specific issue much quicker there than here - good luck  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.