Choose style:

Author Topic: Xenial Xerus  (Read 9706 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Xenial Xerus
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2016, 07:19:18 pm »
openSUSE would have to do something pretty spectacular to ever get me back on it again .. I'd rather use Unity or possibly even Windows (and that's not me being ironic).

I know it's been a long time since openSUSE 11.3 but by god I hated that experience.

There's far too many decent distros out there that would all have to disappear first ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:45 pm »
I've been forcing myself to open winders 10 and openSUSE once a day -- to check for updates -- then, I close them.

It's pretty obnoxious, isn't it?  I removed Windows from my computer yesterday, and my wife has asked me to remove Windows from her computer too.  I've found it's better living with an antiquated version of Skype than dealing with Windows at all. 
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2016, 07:56:48 pm »
openSUSE would have to do something pretty spectacular to ever get me back on it again ..

Agreed !  I'm just goofing around with it, out of boredom.  PM7 is working too good !

Actually, before openSUSE, I was in the middle of installing Arch Linux, when the thought occurred to me, "WTF are you doing ? If anyone finds out you're testing Arch, you'll be ostracized."  openSUSE was a close second.

The only thing I've discovered in openSUSE that was "pretty spectacular" was , the installer asked me if my system clock was set to UTC.  There was a box to check (or not) on the screen where you tell the installer your locale.  I thought that was damn clever -- wish they would add that feature to 'Ubiquity' !   ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2016, 08:02:07 pm »
It's pretty obnoxious, isn't it?  I removed Windows from my computer yesterday ...

Yeah, it's like when you're standing shoulder-to-shoulder on a crowded bus, and someone farts.

The gag reflex set in, every time I crank up winders, you know ?   :-X

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »
OpenSUSE.... *shudders*  Horrible package management with a terrible update manager.  That's what I remember of OpenSUSE.  They can do anything they want, I'm never going there again.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2016, 09:56:26 pm »
And I could never get OpenSUSE to work on one of my computers.  I can't remember whether or not it was this computer or my last one, but I gave up even trying.  I'm listed in one of its forums, however.  I asked to be removed, but that request was ignored.  OpenSUSE is owned by some parent company too.  If I remember correctly, it's a little bit complicated over there.

scifidude79, at least you know how to work Fedora.  That's a handy distribution to know.  ;) 

I'm not sure how common OpenSUSE is the US.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:07:20 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2016, 12:44:54 am »
scifidude79, at least you know how to work Fedora.  That's a handy distribution to know.  ;) 

Not really.  Last time I tried Fedora, I couldn't get past their installer.  Partitioning with it is really bizarre.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2016, 01:00:14 pm »
OMG NO !!!

I've inadvertently spent the past 3 1/2 hours in openSUSE, keyboarding in Fx.

I was just going to boot it and check for updates, but I lost track of time.  Really !

Code: [Select]
linux-oclj:~ # lsb_release -irc
Distributor ID: SUSE LINUX
Release:        42.1
Codename:       n/a
linux-oclj:~ # uptime
 09:56am  up   3:28,  1 user,  load average: 0.36, 0.35, 0.31
linux-oclj:~ #

I'm starting to get too comfortable with Plasma 5 and Firefox.

I need to wipe this partition, before it's too late !   >:(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2016, 01:05:48 pm »
LOL :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Skara Brae

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PeppermintOS 7
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2016, 08:01:20 pm »
If Unity is anything like Gnome 3, then I "hate" Unity as much as I "hate" Gnome 3.

Even long before I had internet, I got and installed SUSE Linux (5 or 6, I believe). That was when one could still buy "real" Linux CD-roms with a real manual in "retail" boxes.
I also still have such a box with Red Hat 5 here somewhere.
SuSE Linux never worked well, probably because of PICNIC issues.
Some years later, Mandrake worked much, much better (alongside Windows Millennium, which worked much, much better than Windows 98, too, contrary to what everyone else says).

I really got going with Linux back in 2007 with Ubuntu 7.10, "Gutsy Gibbon". Ubuntu 10.04, "Lucid Lynx", was the nicest OS that I have had, ever, period. I loved Gnome 2. I so dislike Gnome 3. The Gnome Shell Extensions make Gnome 3 much more user-friendly, yet I still don't like it.
I also never liked KDE much. Perhaps because it reminded me of Windows too much :P

End of 2012, I accidentally picked the wrong partition to try and install Fedora (yeah, wel, sh!t happens, ya know), and in doing so deleted Ubuntu 10.04 (always keep backups!!!). Fedora worked, but I found Gnome 3 ter-ri-bly user-unfriendly.

Alongside Peppermint 7, I have Debian 8.2 running: it too has Gnome 3 standard, but I almost always start xfce or Fluxbox. I "hate" Gnome 3, I just "hate" it. (Alright, "hate" is a too strong word.) I think that Gnome 3/Unity is to the Linux desktop what Windows 8 is to Windows.

(For centuries "Menu" (word/icon) has been at the top left in program windows: with Gnome 3 they replaced it to the top right /rolleyes/ I, for example, use anything BUT Gedit because of things like that.)

I have read the explanation for the removal of the minimize/maximize buttons. Total and utter nonsense, if you ask me.

Gnome 3 - what were they thinking?

Anyway, since support for "Lucid Lynx" was ending only a few months after I had 'overwritten' Ubuntu with Fedora, I didn't reinstall Ubuntu 10.04 and installed Linux Mint. I now run Linux Mint (Maté) at my main computer for over 3 years (alongside Windows Vista, which works fine, contrary to what the rest of the world says), and I love Linux Mint.

Since I had an extra, empty partition at my new HD, I installed Peppermint. I admit I had never heard of it. Peppermint 7 looks and works really nice.

It is because of the endless problems with Windows that I have turned into a very "conservative" computer user. For me, no OS experimenting, please, thank you very much. I want computers that let me work, not computers that make me work.

I installed FreeBSD not very long ago on good old "Conroe". I got an "Operating System not found" after first reboot... I didn't bother looking for the solution and just threw Debian in. Worked fine right out of the box. (I hereby dedicate the next few seconds to the late Ian Murdock for having given the world a fine Linux distro . . . . . . )

I will most likely stay with the Debian "derivatives".  They all work alike, and the Synaptic packages manager is a wonderful tool to use.

But, please, no Gnome 3 (or Unity).
Registered Linux User #495429

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2016, 01:20:54 pm »
Not gonna happen here :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2016, 01:44:43 pm »
Anyway, since support for "Lucid Lynx" was ending only a few months after I had 'overwritten' Ubuntu with Fedora [...]

I watched a 'computer show' on YT, last night, and they said the current Fedora distro takes 3-4 months to burn-in (make it stable on one's machine).

At a recent web dev (or whatever they choose to call themselves) convention, the show hosts said they walked around to see what the devs were using, and not a single one was running Fedora.

Kinda sad, really, that a $2B company with resources up the ying-yang, plus a huge community of volunteers, can't come up with a decent open source OS.  ::)

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2016, 01:48:01 pm »
Hi Skara Brae,

Nice post with some good observations and evaluations!  8)

It sounds like you and I have similar "computer histories" and DE preferences. I have written a tutorial about setting up Fluxbox that includes some downloadable commented configuration files that you may (or may not) find interesting (depending on your knowledge level with Fluxbox). I also like to use Openbox and JWM -- in fact I usually switch from one to the other on a daily basis. I also sometimes use i3 but not so much lately.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2016, 11:43:53 am »
I might like that app a bit more if I could pronounce it ::)

its a > guy ya deck<  or a guy ya'd like to deck after he hits on your other half...
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PMVIII, PMIX, PMX Respins
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2016, 11:47:46 am »
Guayadeque (for podcatching) and VLC (for everything else) is a wicked combination !!!   ;)   

I decided to deck Guayadeque after I discovered one couldn't just shuffle thru the music on my machine nor my iPod... i no longer listen to podcasts. I haven't even bothered uploading my music to the laptop this time around...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:49:19 am by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 8,9 & 10 Respins currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
PMX Respin on '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.