Choose style:

Author Topic: Xenial Xerus  (Read 8238 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Xenial Xerus
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:08:07 pm »
Well, it's here.  Whatever the heck a xenial xerus is, I'm downloading it now.  I went the Xubuntu route so I don't have to choke back vomit when looking at the interface.  I tried the torrent but it was stupidly slow, so I'm doing the direct download thing.  It's going fast.

Anywho, I'll set it up in a dual boot with Peppermint Six and share my thoughts and whatnot.  Probably tonight, since I'm about to step out for a while.  If anybody else wants to do the same with any of the 16.04 releases, feel free to use this thread.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Xenial Xerus
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:26:59 pm »
Yup, getting the Lubnuts ISO's for the PM7 code base now
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:28:35 pm »
Well, it's here.  Whatever the heck a xenial xerus is, I'm downloading it now.  I went the Xubuntu route so I don't have to choke back vomit when looking at the interface.  I tried the torrent but it was stupidly slow, so I'm doing the direct download thing.  It's going fast.

Anywho, I'll set it up in a dual boot with Peppermint Six and share my thoughts and whatnot.  Probably tonight, since I'm about to step out for a while.  If anybody else wants to do the same with any of the 16.04 releases, feel free to use this thread.
I'm doing exactly the same, Xubuntu all the way.  I've got 20 mins left using the Torrent link.  I'm looking forward to having a poke around to see what's what  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »
Me too, Andy, looking forward to poking around and seeing what's what.  Xubuntu is my favorite of the -untus, almost as good as Peppermint in my book.

Yup, getting the Lubnuts ISO's for the PM7 code base now

Sweet.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do with it.  I intentionally stayed away from Lubuntu because the LXDE interface can only be a letdown compared to Peppermint Six.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:51 pm »
...Sweet.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do with it.  I intentionally stayed away from Lubuntu because the LXDE interface can only be a letdown compared to Peppermint Six.
Ain't that the truth.  Xubuntu is also my favourite 'buntu by a long shot  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:12:04 pm »
...Xubuntu is also my favourite 'buntu by a long shot  ;).

Mine too!  And the funny thing is...our Peppermint 6, with few tweaks and personalizations, can be turned into as good, if not better, Xfce DE than Xubuntu itself!  And, I take no credit for this discovery.  If you want to know how, I can point you in the right direction, but I don't want to hijack the tenor of this thread.

Right now I'm downloading Ubuntu Unity's 16.04 as I write this, and I hope to turn Unity into a Deepin DE over time.  I figure if I'm going to work with an offshoot of GNOME, Deepin DE is the way to go.  But that's just my personal opinion.  ;) 
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 09:49:51 am »
Well, I installed it last night.  So far, so good.  I didn't play around much last night, however, because I bought some movies, so I was watching movies.

Anywho, I'm digging into Xubuntu 16.04 today, until I have to go to work.  It's very nice so far, nice and smooth.  There are (of course) a few oddities.  As usual with the -untus, I had to install Synaptic.  ::)  I remember when that came standard.  However, everybody apparently thinks their software managers are so freaking good and everybody wants to use them.  But, I digress.  I used the terminal to install Synaptic because I don't even want to launch that slow thing.  On the more odd side of things, I went to create a .desktop entry for Blender (downloaded from the site to get the latest version) and found that there's no ~/.local/share/applications folder.  Easy enough to fix, but still odd.  :-\ The great thing about the new graphics driver in 16.04 is that I can use my GTX950 to render in Blender, as opposed to my CPU.  Since gaming cards are made for that, it should render faster.  I'm limited to using the CPU in Peppermint 6.

Anywho, liking 16.04 so far.  I haven't done much, but it's going very well at the moment.  :)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 11:03:38 am »
Ubuntu Mate here... It's working well  on both the Laptop (now Triple boot)  Peppermint, Wind 10, Ubuntu Mate   and the main machine   Peppermint, Manjaro xfce and Ubuntu Mate
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 12:56:40 pm »
I guess I'm the guy that beat up with this experiment.  I could never could install Skype. Also the new commands I learned from our Comic Sans MS thread, concerning Ubuntu-extras, did not go down well either. --because I didn't know what I was doing!  Amazon is also impossible to get rid of now --without removing loads of Ubuntu plugins along with it.  Although I'm fond of flowers, and appreciate bubbles too, I found Xenial Xerus' wallpapers to be extremely disappointing.  I didn't even see one honoring the xerus itself.

On top of all of this, my external drive (which contains Peppermint) stopped functioning after this experiment.

I'm sure VinDSL is correct that Unity 16.04 is better than 14.04 by a long shot.  That new kernel does help my computer run considerably cooler, but VinDSL has the ability to see what's happening inside the belly of the distribution --and, more importantly, he understands what he is seeing!  I can't do that yet.  I'm sure without a doubt, on the inside, 16.04 is Ubuntu's most advanced distribution yet.  But for functionally, concerning Skype, Ubuntu extras, and aesthetics, Unity 16.04 will not be for the feint of heart.  :(

And, as I said earlier, I now have an Peppermint distribution that isn't working at all --which may end up being just be a coincidence.  However my earlier desire to put Deepin DE onto Unity is now dead.  I'm not going to try to do so now.  In fact, I feel as I'm losing that warm and fuzzy feeling I've had for Unity for so long.  If I play with a distribution, it's going to be with Peppermint now --a distribution I continue to appreciate more and more as my understanding of these various Linux distributions increases.

There is some good news concerning Unity 16.04 however:  Unity Dash search is now turned off by default. ;)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 09:16:14 pm by perknh »

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:14:57 pm »
I think you may also be the only one who installed straight Ubuntu, as opposed to one of the other variants.  Everyone else who has posted here downloaded Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu Mate.

I'd forgotten about Ubuntu's built in Amazon crap.  I guess it's so deeply embedded that most of the desktop depends on it.  That's a bummer.

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 02:26:43 pm »
I'd forgotten about Ubuntu's built in Amazon crap.  I guess it's so deeply embedded that most of the desktop depends on it.  That's a bummer.

I removed Amazon running this command:  apt-get remove unity-webapps-common, but, according to Klyn in ask ubuntu, Unity "needs this package" in order for the Unity tweak tool to work correctly.  So, although this command is a solution of sorts, it isn't an ideal one, and not one that I would recommend.

I think you may also be the only one who installed straight Ubuntu, as opposed to one of the other variants.  Everyone else who has posted here downloaded Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu Mate.

You guys were smart to do so.  You guys get all the goodness of the inner workings of the new kernel, and other improvements that VinDSL had mentioned, but with none of the BS that remains an intrinsic part of Ubuntu Unity itself. (Sorry, but I don't know what else to call it.)

All I can say is, thank goodness for Peppermint Live on a thumb drive.  That's how I'm able to post here right now.  :)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 07:14:28 pm »

I removed Amazon running this command:  apt-get remove unity-webapps-common, but, according to Klyn in ask ubuntu, Unity "needs this package" in order for the Unity tweak tool to work correctly.  So, although this command is a solution of sorts, it isn't an ideal one, and not one that I would recommend.

You guys were smart to do so.  You guys get all the goodness of the inner workings of the new kernel, and other improvements that VinDSL had mentioned, but with none of the BS that remains an intrinsic part of Ubuntu Unity itself. (Sorry, but I don't know what else to call it.)

To be clear, while I test Unity from time-to-time (maybe one week out of the month, to make sure it's still working) I'm a Gnome-Shell fanboi.

Actually, the only thing I enjoy about Unity is the Compiz Cube feature - I'm still smitten by that silly thing, after all these years.  LoL   :D

Anyway, yes, I do run Unity occasionally, but I spend most of my time in G3, which is a different animal.

Just saying ...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:20:46 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 08:02:04 pm »
Hi VinDSL,

I don't understand why GNOME isn't given 5 years of support.  From what I can see, it's a foundational DE, and the foundation for other DEs.  Clearly Unity is derived from GNOME, and the "Launcher" in Deepin has GNOME written all over it.  Which leads me to ask you a question, VinDSL:  What do you think of Deepin?

The more I look at Deepin DE,  the more clever I consider it to be --and I do see quite a bit of GNOME within it.

And, if you look at GNOME and Unity side by side, it is unquestionably clear where Unity came from.  It is clearly derived from GNOME.

perknh

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 11:12:40 pm »
Ubuntu uses Gnome 3.  (Ubuntu has always used Gnome)  Unity is simply the desktop user interface, (front end) just as Gnome-Shell, Cinnamon and MATE are.  Underneath, it's Gnome 3.  I'm guessing Deepin is yet another Gnome desktop UI, though I've never used it.

I've personally used Gnome-Shell, Unity, Cinnamon and MATE.  Of those, I like MATE and Shell the best.  I've never cared for Unity and Cinnamon is just OK to me.  I really liked Gnome 2, which is one reason I love XFCE.  It can be configured to look and act much like Gnome 2.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 12:06:53 am »
I'm guessing Deepin is yet another Gnome desktop UI, though I've never used it.

Same here.  I've never used Deepin.  I've got a long history with GS though.

I used to hate G2 too.  All I used it for was haxoring Unity.

Anyway, GS keeps getting lighter and quicker all the time, so I'll stick with it ...