Choose style:

Author Topic: Xenial Xerus  (Read 7830 times)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
Re: Xenial Xerus
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2016, 11:57:10 am »
Sadly, Mint 18 KDE is no longer with me.  Further attempts to make everything look the same resulted in massive frustration that lead to a reboot into Peppermint, a quick operation in GParted followed by a GRUB update.  While painful, it had to be done.  >:D

Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother trying other things.  Pretty much all of my "other" Linux tests end this way, with me back in Peppermint wondering why the hell I ever strayed.  Though, on the plus side, they make me appreciate this OS even more, so that's a good thing.  :D

well... welll... wellllll, just when I thought perhaps i should be testing a few other DEs... I'm happy you posted this comment scifidude79. I already spend way too many hours trying to tweak my main peppermint installs to begin doing the same in other unfamiliar territories.... I'd be lost for weeks on end I think.

but given the election season here in North America, that might not necessarily be a bad thing...
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Xenial Xerus
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2016, 01:08:36 pm »
Well, that's not to say other DEs will be as bad.  KDE has always been a massive beast and a bit of a pill to customize.  The problem I had is that KDE 5 is even more of a pill than KDE 3 or 4.  Nearly as frustrating as Unity and more so than Gnome-Shell.  By comparison, XFCE and MATE are pretty easy to customize.  I don't really care for Cinnamon, so I can't say how easy (or not) it is to customize.  And, there are DEs I haven't tried, like LXQT, the successor to LXDE.

Though, I do little customization in Peppermint.  In P7, I changed my desktop background to a custom image, fiddled with my panel a bit and changed icon themes to Faenza Darker.  That's about it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:10:24 pm by scifidude79 »