Choose style:

Author Topic: Xenial Xerus  (Read 8529 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Xenial Xerus
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2016, 09:30:59 pm »
Sure, it looked nice, but there were a lot of things on a functional level that were vastly improved with KDE 4.  Though, if memory serves, (there's a decent possibility it doesn't) it took KDE 4 longer to reach that stable level than it appears to have taken KDE 5.  5 had some stability issues at first, but they appear to have been ironed out by now.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2016, 11:42:43 pm »
Sadly, Mint 18 KDE is no longer with me.  Further attempts to make everything look the same resulted in massive frustration that lead to a reboot into Peppermint, a quick operation in GParted followed by a GRUB update.  While painful, it had to be done.  >:D

Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother trying other things.  Pretty much all of my "other" Linux tests end this way, with me back in Peppermint wondering why the hell I ever strayed.  Though, on the plus side, they make me appreciate this OS even more, so that's a good thing.  :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:46:24 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2016, 01:34:02 am »
I am still using with it atm. I have never been one to overly concern myself over each minute detail of the system being offered.
Does it run, does it run the programs I want, does it crash, if so - how often, how much of a pain is it to fix things, how good are the forums
These are pretty much my criteria.

So far no crashes and it's doing as it's told.  Is it better than Peppermint...... Never in a million years.

Would I recommend it to others as a system to use daily. No because it's too damn awkward for people who do want to tweak things.
Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2016, 05:49:23 am »
KDE always struck me as being MASSSIVELY tweakable (WAY more than Gnome/etc.) and very pretty .. but at the same time darn hard work.

So I agree with you guys fully, there's a lot to be said for simplicity.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:22 am »

Dittos !

For shiggles, I recently installed openSUSE, using the KDE desktop interface.  It's HOPELESSLY tweakable (my words).   :D

Even when openSUSE was my goto distro, back in the day, I didn't like KDE.  I used the GNOME interface.

I dunno. If you were sitting in prison with a lot of time on your hands, I suppose it would be entertaining trying to make KDE look right, but I simply find it irritating, at this point in my life ...   ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2016, 09:00:35 am »
I dunno. If you were sitting in prison with a lot of time on your hands...

LOL :)) .. great anti "gang" measure .. don't let them mix until they've managed to make KDE look uniform, they'll all have something in common to talk about by then and will have learned a new skill at the same time :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2016, 10:13:34 am »
KDE always struck me as being MASSSIVELY tweakable (WAY more than Gnome/etc.) and very pretty .. but at the same time darn hard work.

The problem with me is that I'm anal retentive that, when I pick a theme, I want to see the theme everywhere.  (except Firefox, due to the whole too light text in light background text boxes issue that it has)  However, KDE has issues with things like system level stuff not respecting your theme choices.  In KDE4, you used to be able to change the theme stuff at the system level by running the system settings panel as a superuser.  However, trying that in KDE5 last night just wasn't working.  It wasn't changing icons and stuff on the system level based on my choices, they were just reverting back to the (ugly) default icons.  I hate stuff like that.  Then the thing finally locked up on me and I had to xkill the window.

Plus, some stuff uses Gnome themes, making it even more difficult to make everything match my theme choices.  It's just too much going on and too many places to change themes, in my opinion.

So, yes, simplicity is better.  Though, never underestimate the work done by Mark on Peppermint.  I remember a time when user theme choices didn't affect the system level stuff and you had to run LXAppearance as a superuser to make stuff like Synaptic respect your theme choices in Peppermint.  But, that eventually became a nonissue, thanks to the incredible work done on this OS.  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:15:06 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2016, 10:24:04 am »
They still won't if the theme is user added to
~/.themes
but if they're added to
/usr/share/themes
they'll apply to elevated privilege stuff too :)

I can't take credit for that though .. that was an upstream fix :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:28:59 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2016, 10:32:56 am »
Yeah, themes can be a weird thing.  Also, KDE is very big on user level stuff VS system level stuff, which would be OK if things like Synaptic and other system level stuff didn't clash with my very dark themes that I picked.  Plus, I get why they have to have the Gnome theme stuff, since there's a lot more Gnome software out there than KDE software, but it presents issues like the fact that no Gnome 3 theme I found would match the ones I picked for my KDE system colors.  >:(

I may fiddle with Mint KDE some more, but maybe not worry so much about themes.  Or, I may move on to something else.  Depends on what mood I'm in.  ;)

I can't take credit for that though .. that was an upstream fix :)

Eh, that still doesn't lower my opinion of you or your abilities.  :D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:34:44 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2016, 10:33:43 am »
 :D .. TVM

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2016, 10:36:38 am »
I get why they have to have the Gnome theme stuff, since there's a lot more Gnome software out there than KDE software

I don't .. I never understood why they didn't just make the damn libs compatible as far as appearance goes when Gnome took the lead in both apps and users.
(I'm not a UI programmer so I don't know how difficult that would be, but surely they could have done it during the KDE4 rewrite .. caveat asideI see no need for this appearance/rendering incompatibility)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:39:38 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2016, 10:40:21 am »
I don't .. I never understood why they didn't just make the damn libs compatible as far as appearance goes when Gnome took the lead in both apps and users.

Me neither.  Especially since I didn't even know they could do that.  :-[  Though, I guess it does make sense as that's obviously what other DEs like XFCE and LXDE do, because they don't have these issues (any more.)  But, yeah, that's one of the things that makes KDE more of a pain than it's worth, in my opinion.  Too bad, because I've always liked it.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2016, 10:53:44 am »
Xfce / LXDE / Gnome / Unity all use the Gtk(2/3) libs to render stuff so will all be visually compatible.

KDE use their own libs that render stuff differently .. some say "better" which **may** be true .. but I'm not suggesting KDE use the Gtk libs for dialogs / decorations / fonts / etc., just that they rewrite theirs so they at least render stuff the same effing size as Gtk ones so Gtk apps and KDE apps don't look stupid in the other environment ::)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:57:20 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2016, 11:10:02 am »
Using their own libs is good to a point.  Obviously, KDE has a massive amount of themes available.  You can get pretty much any look with it.  However, not everything matches, which isn't an ideal situation for some of us.

Oh well, I moved on.  I'm taking Solus OS for a spin right now.  8)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2016, 07:02:38 pm »
I've been forcing myself to open winders 10 and openSUSE once a day -- to check for updates -- then, I close them.

While I was in openSUSE, today, I changed the desktop theme to 'Dark Breeze' and the cursors to 'DMZ-Black'.  At least, it's tolerable now ...  ::)