• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Hello
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:53:40 pm »
I am a new user to peppermint 7.
Here is a hypothetical question
Can I properly order pizza online through a web site?
I worry that the pizza's web site was designed mainly for IE9 and maybe has parsing issues under firefox.
Yeah maybe that pizza had a form submission tool to upload a pizza through a stage of ingredients but I doubt it would even operate under Linux because maybe there some Internet Explorer 9 functions in that upload tool that just did not function well on the client side if Windows and IE9 was not used.
I know I am pondering about this pizza ordering system that was maybe declared flawless in it's day of IE9 when it was new, but it is still used for ordering pizza 10 to 12 years after IE9 was declared an old internet browser.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 12:06:31 am »
It should work fine, unless you're running an ad blocker, pop-up blocker, and/or you're blocking trackers, et cetera.

Personally, when I'm ordering anything online, I disable all that stuff, and re-enable them when I'm done.   ;)

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 06:12:15 am »
Hi Admiral_Smith,
I use Firefox, Chromium and Google Chrome on Linux. I found that the only thing that isn't working is Windows Update:))
Which is probably a good thing...

Greets!
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 08:40:11 am »
Sh*t, if the pizza house still has a site that only works in IE I'd be worried they were using old mouldy ingredients (probably all they can afford due to the lack of online orders .. heck does Edge still support the old proprietary extensions even Microsoft has dropped now ?) and would switch pizza house immediately :)

Who wants a 12 year old pizza anyway  :-X
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:45:04 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:23:18 am »
Sh*t, if the pizza house still has a site that only works in IE I'd be worried they were using old mouldy ingredients [...]

Who wants a 12 year old pizza anyway  :-X

Personally, I can't imagine any proprietary styling language that would be specific to IE9.  :-\

If this was the last century, and we were hypothesising about IE5 vs Netscape 4, ViolaWWW or whatevs, I could understand the concern.  I suppose the workaround would be to order the pizza by telephone or CB radio.

Heh ! This topic reminds me of the time I designed a whole web site (hosted on a  IIS server) in nothing but CSS, when it first came out.  It was mad gorgeous -- only to find out that Mozilla/Netscape (the #1 browser at the time) didn't support CSS -- only MSIE.  LoL!  I was crushed!  Had to go back to HTML ...

Anyway, I think those days have long passed.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:24:36 am »
Yes, I've ordered food online many times from my computer running Peppermint.  Pretty much any site these days runs fine on Firefox, as well as Chrome, since they're two of the most used browsers.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:42:59 pm »
I wondered if the oregano poster was sharing a slice of humour with us. I'm not going to tomato paste a quote but sorry if this has been a cheesy comment...