Author Topic: Comic Sans MS Font [SOLVED]  (Read 5738 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Comic Sans MS Font [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 04:04:27 am »
Hello PCNetSpec.  These commands will sure help get more functionality out of our computers.  They're important to know.  Thank you.  :)

And, hello murraymint.   A lot of people can't stand the looks of Comic Sans MS, and I mean they can't stand it to the point of wanting to ban it.  :(

It is a font type that has its virtues however.  Apparently it is easier on some dyslexic eyes, although some people believe this to be a myth.*  Although I may have a touch of dyslexia (At a minimum, I have a tendency to invert numbers), for me Comic Sans Font is the font closest to human hand printing that I can find --although DK Au Revoir may even be more so, I can't find it anywhere.  I like to use Comic Sans MS for email because it tends to help personalize what I am writing.

Clearly, however, the people that hate Comic Sans MS really really tend to hate it:

Ban Comic Sans

By Dave and Holly Combs

http://bancomicsans.com/main/?page_id=7

Killing Comic Sans: 5 alternative fonts that protect your dignity

By Clare Brandt for PCWorld

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030201/killing-comic-sans-5-alternative-fonts-that-protect-your-dignity.html

On Dyslexia:

Typefaces For Dyslexia

From dyslexic.com

http://www.dyslexic.com/fonts

* Now from the skeptics section of stack overflow:
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/14564/is-the-comic-sans-font-easier-to-read-for-dyslexics
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:09:34 am by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 04:21:48 am »
hi perknh, that is interesting. I like the look of that DK Au Revoir much more. It's kind of amusing how computers are struggling to read our handwriting via OCR, and we want computers to write like we do!

I use Times New Roman for my work and I'm so accustomed to it that anything else would be jarring at this point. The dyslexic aspect is something that hadn't occurred to me.

I'll have to check what the default font for Firefox is, I've changed it to the wrong one and it doesn't look right! :D

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 05:15:43 am »
hi perknh, that is interesting. I like the look of that DK Au Revoir much more. It's kind of amusing how computers are struggling to read our handwriting via OCR, and we want computers to write like we do!

Isn't that the truth!

I use Times New Roman for my work and I'm so accustomed to it that anything else would be jarring at this point. The dyslexic aspect is something that hadn't occurred to me.;D

I'm using Sans with our widget, or theme.  I had to go from our Peppermix-Dark theme to Albatross (from Shimmer Themes) so I could read the print again on Opera's bookmark's bar.  The last two updates in Opera have not been good to our Peppermix-Dark theme.  But, if it wasn't for all the community support I got for my font issue, I never would have solved my bookmarks problem in Opera either.  We actually solved two issues for me yesterday through this one thread.  :)

I'll have to check what the default font for Firefox is, I've changed it to the wrong one and it doesn't look right! :D

I bet.  But, your noble effort wasn't effort wasted.  It did help pave the way to a solution, and, as a bonus, the entire forum got some insights about our installation process concerning mp3 support and codecs.  We also got a couple of very useful commands to apply right after we install and update Peppermint in order to achieve full functionality of this distribution --courtesy of PCNetSpec. 

I'd call this thread a winner!  ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Sans MS Font
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 05:33:15 pm »
Hello Peppermint forum,

Believe it or not, I can't get Comic Sans MS Font to work again in Chromium in Peppermint 7.  And this time I have ubuntu-restricted-extras along with ttf-mscorefonts-installer installed.  As far as I can tell, everything should be working.  I don't think I must allow mail.google.com to open all email links.  Really, I think I have all my bases covered here, but apparently not.  Comic Sans MS font is not working in my Gmail account again.

Any guesses as to what I could be missing here?  I'm stumped!  :-\

Thank you,

perknh

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: Comic Sans MS Font
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 11:14:44 pm »
Hi perknh,

Did you see this recent thread about the ttf-mscorefonts-installer?  ;)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 07:42:15 am »
Fixed ttf-mscorefonts-installer update released :)

Fixed version = ttf-mscorefonts-installer    3.6+peppermint1

You can check which version you have installed with:
Code: [Select]
dpkg -l | grep ttf-mscorefonts-installerBut please remember you may not have it installed at all, it's not a default package in Peppermint 7 ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:46:42 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 03:30:44 pm »
That did the trick, Slim.Fatz --thanks!  And now, above all, PCNetSpec has given those of us using Peppermint, a fixed ttf-mscorefonts-installer update.  8)

Thank you, Slim.Fatz and PCNetSpec.

perknh
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:50:16 am by perknh »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 12:38:20 am »
Hi perknh,

You are very welcome. I also wish to thank PCNetSpec for providing us with the new installer package.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 02:59:03 am »
I also wish to thank PCNetSpec for providing us with the new installer package.

This is the beauty of packaging your own distro ! 

It isn't always necessarily to wait for 'upstream' to get off their thumbs.

Just take the bull by the horns and fix it yourself ...    8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 11:35:58 am »
You're most welcome guys :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec